A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lacy fingerless gloves for daring knitters (pattern now available)  (Read 3212 times)
Tags for this thread: fingerless_gloves , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bookaholic
« on: February 14, 2010 01:43:26 PM »

I've wanted to make lacy fingerless gloves forever! I fell in love with them after a marathon of Victorian-period movies and decided, naturally, that I was going to create my own. From scratch.

Eh heh.

It probably didn't help that I was using size 4 needles rather than size 1 or 2 (which had mysteriously vanished), or that the yarn that I used was leftovers from my grandmother's baby sweater days, or that the use of multiple needles makes lace patterns extremely complicated. But lo and behold, I hath succeeded!

ETA: Pattern now up! Hopefully it's not too too confusing...
ETA#2: There is actually a boo-boo on the glove in the picture, caused by a mistake I made in the lace pattern. The solid blocks should be in nice straight rows throughout, and, well, they're not... I'm actually in the process of knitting the second one right now... which means that I'll have to knit a third one so that they're identical. Ah well. Practice makes perfect.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 11:26:48 PM by Bookaholic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Patterns at http://www.ravelry.com/people/bookaholic
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010 07:32:16 PM »

Those are AHmaZING! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 10:00:42 PM »

I'd like to make a pair of those! Any chance we can beg for the pattern? Or, did you just wing it?
They look perfect! Well worth the effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bookaholic
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010 11:14:45 PM »

Typing up pattern on word, then will post here. Hopefully will have pictures too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bookaholic
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010 11:19:44 PM »

Lacy Fingerless Gloves

Materials:
Size 4 needles, dpn, 4 of them
Fingering weight yarn or something similar (weight 1) I used leftover baby sweater material. 1 skein should be sufficient.
Stitch markers
Yarn needle and scrap yarn
*I am notoriously sloppy when it comes to gauge. Therefore, I have no idea what it is. Sorry!

I am always open to criticism/ suggestions on how to make this pattern better!

The lace pattern is a multiple of 6, +5.
*NOTE: R2 and R4 will be knitted because theyre in the round! If you were to do a gauge swatch they would be purled instead!
Lace pattern:
{R1: K4, *YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3* and continue until the last K3 of the pattern, which is a K4 instead
R2: K all st (make sure the number of stitches didnt change!)
R3: K1, *YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3* and continue until last 4 st, YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K1.
R4: K all st}

The hardest part of these gloves is the lace! Because of the YO and PSSO stitches, its pretty much impossible to distribute the stitches evenly among 3 needles in a way that will work out nicely every single time. When it came to the sl, K2tog, PSSO part, there were some times when I had to transfer stitches to the next needle. My advice is, try knitting a few practice rounds before you get started! It will save you a lot of grief later on. The most common mistake I make with this pattern was at the sl, K2tog, psso part; I wouldnt pass the slipped stitch over and so Id gain an extra stitch.

Step 1: I cast on 29 stitches. It seems a ridiculously small circumference when you start, but trust me, these gloves stretch like crazy! Worry more about your gloves being too big rather than too small. The stitch distribution that seemed to work out the best was 11 on the first needle, and 9 on the other 2.

Step 2: K the first row.

Step 3: Begin the lace pattern, starting with the R1 sequence. Continue on with the lace pattern until the wrist part is as long as youd like; I made mine about 3 inches long, which is 6 repetitions (R1 through R4) of the lace pattern. End with an R3 row.

Step 4: Heres where things get interesting. Not only do you have to keep the pattern in mind now, but the thumb gusset too! =D

My general rule of thumb (ha ha) uses make 1 increases at either edge of the gusset, so thats 2 increases every 4 rows. The make 1 increases will be done right next to the stitch markers.  Interestingly enough, Ive found that many people are unfamiliar with make 1 increases, so they can be found here if you need a reference: http://home.howstuffworks.com/knitting-instructions3.htm

Basically, youll start out with two stitches in between your stitch markers, but as you add increases, it will be 4 in between the markers, then 6, then 8, all the way until you have 14 stitches in between. Then, you slip 12 of them onto scrap yarn and youll be back to your original circumference. Dont worry, Ill include pictures!

You should be on an R4 row by now; K1, place marker, K all but the last stitch, place marker, K1.

Step 5: Youre ready for your first increase! Keep in mind that this is an R1 round because the rest of the pattern once you pass the stitch marker is the same (until you get to that second stitch marker, that is)
K1, make 1, slip the stitch marker, K3, *YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3* till you reach that last stitch marker. Slip the stitch marker, make 1, K1. You should now have 4 stitches in between the stitch markers.

Step 6: K entire row, slipping stitch markers when necessary (R2)

Step 7: (This is an R3 row) K2, slip marker, * YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3* and continue until last 4 st, YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, slip marker, K2.

Step 8: K entire row, slipping stitch markers when necessary (R4)

Step 9: Time for your second increase. K2, make 1, slip the stitch marker, K3, *YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3* till you reach that last stitch marker. Slip the stitch marker, make 1, K2. You should now have 6 stitches in between the stitch markers. Notice that all of your increases will be done on R1 rows.

Step 10: K entire row, slipping stitch markers when necessary (R2)

Step 11: (This is an R3 row) K3, slip marker, * YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3* and continue until last 4 st, YO, sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, slip marker, K3.

Step 12: K entire row, slipping stitch markers when necessary (R4)

Step 13: Continue this pattern of knitting and increasing until youve got 14 stitches in between your markers. After that last increase, you should just have finished an R1 row.

Step 14: Get your scrap yarn and needle ready. K the row as before, all the way until that stitch marker on the third needle. Remove the stitch marker and K 1 stitch; slip the other 6 stitches onto the scrap yarn. Thats the end of that row; now slip the first 6 stitches of the next needle onto the scrap yarn as well, then K the last stitch thats right before the stitch marker. Remove the stitch marker. This is an R3 row, and youve already knitted the first stitch in the pattern, so begin with the YO and continue with sl 1 st, K2tog, PSSO, YO, K3 etc.

Step 15: Back to regular ol lace knitting, same as the beginning. I did 4 more sets of the lace pattern, i.e. 16 rows.

Step 16: K 6 rows normally and then bind off.

Whew! Youre almost done with one glove! Now all thats left is the thumb and the other glove.

THUMB: Remember those 12 stitches on the scrap yarn? Slip 5 onto your first needle, 5 onto your second needle, and 2 onto your third. K all twelve stitches, then with the third needle draw up two more loops from the top edge of the thumb hole, then continue knitting in the round (14 stitches total per round). After 6 rounds have been knitted, bind off and weave in all loose ends.

Repeat for other glove!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010 11:28:48 PM by Bookaholic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010 09:26:00 AM »

Thanks for posting the pattern! I'm going to give this a try in the near future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bookaholic
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010 09:13:11 PM »

as I stated above, I'm knitting the second glove right now. I'll make any necessary changes to the pattern, but I think it's pretty close to what I did for the first one (minus the boo-boos Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010 04:47:47 AM »

OOooooo pretty.  I want these in black!  Wisting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Ways to Wear Blue Makeup
October 2013 To-Do List
Beauty Buys to Join the Fight Against Breast Cancer
Gwen Stefani Collabs For OPI Nail Collection
How to Find Your Perfect Shade of Foundation
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...