A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
481 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i finally learned to cable!  (Read 1671 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2010 09:22:17 PM »

hi y'all! FH (future hubby) was the greatest and bought me malabrigo yarn for valentines day. gorgeous, soft merino wool, and told me i had to make something to keep myself warm. SO, since the yarn was so unbelievably pretty, i decided it was finally time for me to learn how to post-stitch proper, and make cables.

i whipped out my stitch-a-day rotating calendar and found a post and braid stitch that would work perfect.

et - voila! (with kitty)

the thumb is tucked underneath...

but here's a close-up; i think i did okay! (did i do okay?)

they go about 4" past my wrist. nice and long and snug. and now to make the other one!
thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010 09:27:34 PM »

Very pretty. I'm a long-time knitter and just learning to crochet. I had no idea you could do patterns like this with a hook and yarn. Beautiful - thanks for expanding my crochet knowledge Smiley.

PS - your kitty is super cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010 03:41:22 AM »

Great present, great project! Crochet cables still amaze me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyLeitzen

feisty cat lurves roving

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010 09:03:20 AM »

thanks! i got the stitch from a compiled stitch dictionary, so, since the stitches already exist elsewhere and weren't made up in the mind of the editor, i feel safe in sharing it here.

okay, here's the diagram, but it's a bit confusing. each front-post stitch is actually a treble front-post stitch. i'll explain that below. also, your "return row" is a row of single crochet, and when you get to the next cable row, you reach over the single crochets and down to the trebles below.

okay, first thing's first: front-post treble crochet: yarn over twice, insert hook from front of work through the back, around the post of desired stitch and back through the front again. yarn over, slip the post off the hook, and pull up even with the row you're working on. yarn over, pull two loops off the hook, yarn over, pull two loops, etc. until only one loop is left on the hook. voila!

alright, the post-and-braid combo takes five stitches in total. you can put it down the center of your work, like i have on my mittens, or repeat the pattern for multiple braids like on a purse or scarf or something. i suggest having a few plain stitches on each end of the row and a few in-between if you are going to do multiple braids.

to start: chain desired length of stitches plus one (turning chain)
row 1: single crochet across, ch 2 (counts as first double-crochet in next row)
row 2: skip first stitch (remember, your turning chain counts as the first stitch), dc across, ch 1.
row 3: don't skip the first stitch in a single crochet row! sc across (also, sc in the top of your turning chain!), ch 2
row 4: remember, skip that first stitch! dc to the desired place of post/braid pattern. FpTc around the next stitch, reaching down into the double crochets two rows before. then the Braid: skip one stitch, FpTc around the next stitch (blue in the bottom row of the diagram), Fptc in the next stitch (purple), the FPtc over the stitch you skipped, working in front of the two previous fpTc's (green). FpTc in next stitch to complete the posts, then dc across the row. ch 1
row 5: sc across, ch 2
row 6: skip first st, dc to post/braid position, FPTc around previous FpTc, the complete the braid (see row 4). you can follow the color charts in the diagram. and as a note; you will need to dig through your previous braid a bit to find the post you're looking for! complete the second post after the braid and dc across.
repeat rows 5 and 6 as needed, finish with a row or two of sc.

this is what the back of your work should look like: see how the singe crochets you skipped stick out the back?

i hope that's understandable. if you have any questions i can try to clarify! i don't know how good of a crochet teacher i am yet!

thanks for the compliments too!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010 09:27:39 AM by LadyLeitzen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susan Orlean on Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend
Terra Elan McVoy on Being Friends With Boys
Jeremy Toombs Performs His Poem "The Alleppey Express"
Finale Book Trailer
Author Bob Woodward Discusses the Economic Crisis
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...