A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yummy Smelling Heat Pads - With TUTORIAL  (Read 5292 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , heating_pad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lizzle
« on: February 13, 2010 09:54:37 PM »

I made a bunch of these heating pads as holiday gifts and they are so easy!  I thought they would be the perfect thing for warming up on a cold winter day.  I put together a tutorial so that  you can try them, too.  I know I'm not the first person to ever make heating pads from rice, so I'm definitely not claiming credit, but this tutorial shows how I do it.

Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!

What you need:
- A fat quarter of fabric (or just a regular 1/4 yard)
-Scissors
-Straight pins
-Needle and thread (and sewing machine if you have one)
-Rice
-Essential oils
-Funnel or a sheet of paper
-Bowl & spatula

Now put it together:

1) Cut your fat quarter in half.

2) With the right sides of the fabric together (the sides with the pattern on it), fold the fabric in half again and pin together.

3)  Sew around all 3 edges using a straight stitch with about 1/2″ of seam allowance.  Make sure that you dont sew it closed entirely, though.  Leave about 3 inches open so that you can fill it up later. (Sew where the yellow lines are in the picture)

4) Turn your fabric right side out.
5) Put your rice in a bowl and add a few drops of the essential oil(s) of your choice (I used orange and bergamot, so it smelled like Earl Grey tea) and mix thoroughly.
6) Use either a wide-mouthed funnel (like what you use for canning) or a piece of paper rolled into a funnel and fill your bag about half-full with rice.
7) Turn down the edges of the opening in your bag and then use whip stitch to sew it closed. (Again, sew where the yellow line is in the picture).

8 ) To heat up your pad, put it in the microwave for about a minute, then test it.  If it needs more time, heat it up in 30 second increments until its warm enough.

Voila!  Something to warm up all your aches and pains.

P.S.  I thought that the bath and beauty was the most appropriate board, but if this is the wrong place, just let me know and I'll be happy to move it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010 09:55:25 PM by Lizzle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010 09:57:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure this fits here or in the sewing board. Thanks for the tute..makes me wish I could sew and had a microwave Wink I may attempt to make one for my mother in law, she gets terrible headaches and has a microwave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
Tularosa
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010 01:18:49 AM »

Seems so simple! Thanks for the tutorial...I may have to try this. Even with my non-existent sewing skills, I think I could do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." - Pablo Picasso
Lizzle
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010 10:45:32 PM »

You definitely could.  I used a sewing machine, but even if you don't have one, it's small enough that it could be hand sewn quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K8iSGR8
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010 10:40:18 AM »

Awesome! I don't sew at all, or really know about fabric - is there a certain fabric I SHOULDN'T use to go in the microwave? Stick to cotton maybe? I pulled a muscle in my back and I've been using heatwraps, but they're pricey. I'm stoked on this project idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm only pretending to be crafty,.. hopefully one day I'll get it right Tongue

www.knot2witty.blogspot.com
gizasangria
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010 10:52:29 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm gonna make one for my boyfriend. He is a hockey goalie and always getting hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ch3rrie
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010 12:46:36 PM »

Great Tutorial  Smiley

I'm planning on doing something like this, but for my neck.  I wanted to add some herbs into it but being pregnant, i've read I shouldn't.
Can you use any type of rice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010 04:57:39 AM »

I hope this isn't a silly question. Do you need to throw these away in time? How many times can you use them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
amourxamour
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010 09:43:58 PM »

I hope this isn't a silly question. Do you need to throw these away in time? How many times can you use them.

i really don't think you'd ever have to, unless it ever gets wet, in which case the rice would probably end up cooking & get moldy & whatnot. when you think about it, it'd be just like leaving rice out in a bowl--stale to eat but not doing any harm.

on another note, this is the best idea ever! my feet are always freezing in my bed, i'm making one of these RIGHT NOW! Cheesy also, the mention of earl grey tea made me wonder if instead of essential oils, i could just rip open a nice spicy-smelling chai tea bag and mix it in? i know it'd lose its scent faster, but like i said, i want a yummy-scented warm rice bag nowwww and i don't have oils on hand Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but then i was like, "what would emily do?"
dog lover
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010 11:24:29 AM »

Just made one of these now and it's brill. Hubby has now pinched it and actually said he thinks it's doing him good! As we are both suffering from sore backs at the mo I might need to make him one of his own.  Thanks for the tutorial:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Carter Cash Wishes He Had This Talent
Swoon Book Trailer
John Avant Talks About If God Were Real
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...