A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shashi bracelets?  (Read 5498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archaicxprincess
« on: February 13, 2010 05:06:32 AM »

Hi, Craftsters! So there are these bracelets called Shashi bracelets (http://www.stylewhipped.com/stylewhipped/2009/10/latest-obsession-shashi-bracelets.html) that are apparently "the new trend", and they're cute, but some of them can cost up to $90! They look like they would be so simple to make, though! I wanted to get into making friendship bracelets, but I don't know how to make them yet, so naturally, I would have no idea how to start making something that looks like a Shashi bracelet. Any ideas on how to make something similar (preferably the double-row bracelets)?

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/23543_13Feb10_shash2001212867_p2_v1_m56577569831865431_254x500_1_.jpg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010 05:14:38 AM by archaicxprincess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinytallgirl
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010 11:30:02 AM »

I'd like to know the same as well.  It would be nice to use actual semi-precious beads or actual 14k gold beads with this.

Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
skoo
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 12:15:54 PM »

It almost looks similar to a hemp bracelet with beads. I have this book called It's Knot Hard and it shows how to do hemp knots and weave beads with them. You could try looking up different knot methods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sdanorth
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010 07:27:31 PM »

I'm seeing it done with staple-like shaped pieces of 16g wire, small beads, strung on cotton cord - I may run off this minute to give it a try! Don't know if I have any beads small enough that will fit on 16g wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewelry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
sdanorth
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010 03:13:51 PM »

Here's what I made today. 16g wire with a loop on both ends, and superfat waxed cotton cord. The only thing I can think of to space the beadwires with is jump rings, but with the ones I have it would take probably 4 rings between each beadwire, and I don't have that many - and no spacer-type beads that will fit over this cord. So they don't line up straight like the ones in the bracelet you posted the picture of, but they could. Or straight-er, at least. I tried squeezing the loops down so they'd grip the cord, but couldn't really get that to work, so the beadwires are free-floating on the cords. Something else I thought of was to make a frame from the 16g wire and put the beads on 24. The beads there would stay where you put them, but overall it would be less like the original.

For the double row I suppose I'd just make the pieces of wire just longer-enough to fit a second bead between the loops. So, FWIW...

ETA - I bet if the little beads were cubes instead of random chubby roundish beads, they'd line up a lot nicer. But I've been wearing it all day, and I must say I don't mind the beadwires moving around. Symmetry has never been one of my strengths!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 03:25:59 PM by sdanorth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdanorth
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010 02:00:18 PM »

V1 & V2, front and back

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassiecate57
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011 05:39:09 PM »

Nice work SDA north!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
&blog
˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ pɐɯ ןןɐ ǝɹ,ǝʍ

timshel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Host a Craft Night
How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers
How to Make Glittering Candles
How to Win At Arm Wrestling
How to Win At Thumb Wrestling
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...