A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweating embeddables  (Read 613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

donnevita

I reject your reality and subsitute my own

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2010 06:10:11 PM »

I made some tiny love hearts that I was/am planning on embedding in a block of soap and I over heated the soap (its MP) and now they are all sweaty just like me (damn australian summers) I havent tried embedding anything yet... will using the sweaty soap ruin it? Will it work at all?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

http://bubbleswithlub.blogspot.com/

http://www.bubbleswithlub.etsy.com/
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010 07:44:39 PM »

Hmm, I think it would be ok as long as they are dry when you actually embed them and make sure to spray them with rubbing alcohol. Ok, that sounds weird, they won't actually be dry lol! But wipe them off and then spray with the alcohol before embedding. I don't know if overheating the mp is actually the cause of them sweating. There is low-sweating mp I believe (called something fancier than that I think) that you might want to check out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
donnevita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010 08:45:21 PM »

I did try drying them with a tea-towel and it didnt really dry much... I made some other soap with the same MP and it didnt sweat. When I microwaved it for too long it went really quite bubbly and I probably went a little overboard spraying them with the rubbing alchol... oh and then I did put it in the fridge for like 10 minutes and then had a change of heart about that so its probably the fridgeration and that did it. Im so silly! I think I'll try drying with a papertowel and see how it goes. Thanks MareMare!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dont do what you cant undo, until youve considered what you cant do once youve done it." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010 08:49:46 PM »

Try wrapping them in a paper towel and letting them sit someplace cool and dry for a day or two. That should soak up the moisture. Overheating MP can make it do really, really strange things. Also the fridge did NOT help the situation, unfortunately. I rarely recommend putting MP in the fridge/freezer, unless you're layering or getting out of the mold and need that few seconds of chill. Anything more and it'll be an adventure in sweat. Sad But it's not a loss! Try the paper towel method and then go forth with the alcohol, layering.

And MareMare's right, I think it's just called low-sweat MP base and it's pretty awesome stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
donnevita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010 09:05:01 PM »

Hmm turns out the other soap I made is a little sweaty! Being in Australia I dont really have a whole lot of choice with suppliers... I just had a look and they don't really market any clear ones as low sweat... just a coconut one... which Ive tried and Im not heaps fussed on the natural smell it has (and its white)! I have tried olive MP and that didnt sweat, the one that Im currently using is just "clear MP" which is a little bit cheaper. Hmm I know I'll just move to your country where there are more soap suppliers and cooler weather! I shall go try the paper towel thing... thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get an Undone Updo
Like A Pro Hair Tips From Ken Paves
Voluminous Barbie Ponytail Tutorial
5 Ways to Fight Off Frizz
Salon Giving Back Through Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...