A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My fairy craft room  (Read 3053 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

StacyCK
« on: February 12, 2010 07:37:34 AM »

This past fall/winter we finished our basement, since some of our construction friends were laid off their jobs.  We went through mass quantities of Miller High Life during the process. Wink

Out of the deal, I got a craftroom, but it needed to also be a guestroom. I found a murphy bed I could paint that was one solid piece, and then I painted the rest of the stuff on that wall to match.  The sewing machine table was a table that was on clearance since it had a big crack down the middle.  I had them cut off one end and then attach it to the wall.  The upper cabinet was just a cheap unfinished one at the Home Depot.

I originally envisioned a big wall-length counter with storage for my crafting.  Well, that didnt pan out, so it needed to be on the same wall as the bed.  It has enough room for my sewing machine and serger almost 5 feet of space.  A lot of the storage is now in the closet.  I had a lot of fabric to store.   Grin

The closet just has some kit shelves by Closetmaid.  I have plenty of storage for fabrics, and have somehow managed to fill it up! 

The dresser is a temporary fix right now.  It is an antique in the sense that it has been well used.  Weve had it for a while and its missing a few of the handles, the drawers stick, the stain is quite worn in places and the mirror has age spots on it (which is why it isnt being used!).  Apparently it is worth a whopping $200, because I saw one in an antique store in Jamestown, CA a few years back.  Only that one apparently was never used and in good condition.  Ah well, nothing that some decorative runners and well placed accessories cant dress up a bit.

The artwork in the space were prints taken from an expired Amy Brown calendar.  I simply cut them out and put them into matted frames I bought at Michaels.  Very budget conscious artwork.

Some of my storage.  The snap storage jars was an old spice rack that I had.  It was a stained wood, so I primed and painted it cream.  It needs another coat, but its fine for now.  The hardest part was getting the spice labels off the caps.  It does its job very well!

I really enjoy this room.  It is right off the entertaining area in the basement, so I have to keep it somewhat clean.  That is easier to do now that I have a space dedicated to my sewing.  Everything has a place to go when I'm done with it!

This was my sewing area in the basement before:

A vast improvement!

Thanks for looking!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010 07:53:46 AM »

What an awesome tidy workspace!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
fochaux
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010 12:42:12 PM »

awesome look!  i like how you repurposed the spice rack!  I wish I could think of stuff like that before i donate stuff or sell it off LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
StacyCK
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010 07:04:11 AM »

Thanks so much!

awesome look!  i like how you repurposed the spice rack!  I wish I could think of stuff like that before i donate stuff or sell it off LOL

I try to think of what to do with things before I get rid of them.  This was probably one of my better ideas LOL!  It works so well for storage of those little items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010 08:31:15 AM »

It's beautiful! 

If you hear strange noises at night from the fabric closet, you should know it's just fabric fairies refolding and pressing your wonderful stash, and not me with a large sack making off with whatever I can carry (including the closetmaid shelving Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010 09:54:03 AM »

Can I be organized like you when I grow up? I just found this thread from your kids clothes thread. I now see how you can make such beautiful clothing. You have an awesome space to work in. I am currently using the dining room and a kitchen counter for all my crafting needs Wink Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010 07:00:12 AM »

It's beautiful! 

If you hear strange noises at night from the fabric closet, you should know it's just fabric fairies refolding and pressing your wonderful stash, and not me with a large sack making off with whatever I can carry (including the closetmaid shelving Smiley

Well if you make off with some of the fabric, then I'd have room to buy more! Wink  DH seems to think that I have enough...how little he knows LOL!

Can I be organized like you when I grow up? I just found this thread from your kids clothes thread. I now see how you can make such beautiful clothing. You have an awesome space to work in. I am currently using the dining room and a kitchen counter for all my crafting needs Wink Kudos!

Oh, I know well about sewing on the dining room table.  I sewed on there for years, too.  I fully realize how lucky I am to have a dedicated space now.  It is just heaven!  I finally moved down to the basement when I couldn't stand the mess upstairs anymore.  I'd have to wear my fleece comfies in the middle of summer since it was so cold down there and my tootsie were freezing!  Then of course, sharing the space with the silverfish and spiders was so nice when my fabric was out and in that.  Oh yes, I know how lucky I am!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
asel1969
Mom/Wife/Boss/Friend/Nurse/Counselor/Gofer/Maid/Fixer/...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010 09:51:44 PM »

This is the inspiration I so need! Mine currently resembles your before photo. I dream of mine looking like your afters.

Thanks for sharing! It gives me hope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a mother of two. Grandmother of one. Wife of over 20 years. I love to read, create things, draw, paint, camp and did I mention that I like to create things?
If at all possible, I like to repurpose things. I think it's the best way to go.
Anko
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010 12:04:20 AM »

Awesome job, now your air is filled with nice creative energies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use a Calligraphy Set
How to Learn Calligraphic Styles
How to Write with a Fountain Pen
How to Draw Calligraphy Pictures
How to Write Modern Calligraphy
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...