A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fleece lined Arran style jumper/sweater  (Read 793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittersusie
« on: January 23, 2010 03:36:17 PM »

My goodness, this has been a labour of love.

It was my first ever jumper/larger project. Because I'm a poor student, although I knew I wanted to knit the pattern for knitter'sbloke I simply couldn't afford to go out and buy some nice soft wool. So then I found a huge amount of pure shetland wool on eBay for a great price, bought it thinking "well, it might be rough but it'll be hardwearing and better than acrylic". I did know when the wool arrived that I'd need to do the collar and cuffs in something softer, as my fiance is ALWAYS complaining about rough itchy clothes, so I used Mirasol Tupa (50% silk/50% merino) which I knew he liked already (I made a scarf out of it for christmas last year and it's the only one he'll wear now.)

So anyway, to cut a long story short, I made a hash of the tension due to vague unthought out thoughts about (slight) felting, and it ended up FAR too wide. I gather this is a common problem for inexperienced knitters. I then took a risk and washed it on a 30 C wool wash, which actually worked quite well (didn't shrink too much lengthways at all, and came out rather softer). None the less I decided to line it with fleece anyway, since there was room and it would make it more of an outdoor garment than just a jumper. Sounds simple, except that I'm an even more inexperienced sewer than I am a knitter! I got a sewing machine for christmas, and could do basic stuff but had never made an item of clothing. I ended up machining the seams on it and handsewing the lining to the jumper. Getting the zip to lie flat was another saga in itself!

So anyway, that's the saga of the jumper. It's now finished (as of an hour ago), and I love it to bits, so I'm posting it up here before even knitter'sbloke has seen it finished (we live in different cities, not seeing him for another week - too long to wait to show off this!). It's not perfect, but I's really proud of it for my first item of clothing, item of sewing that involved more than just straight lines and basic hems, and, most of all, large knitting project. Having said that, any advice, criticism and comments would be very helpful for the next project.

The whole thing:

Close up of the inside of the collar:

Close up of the cable pattern:

Close up of the lining seam:

I may post a couple up of him wearing it in a couple of weeks.

And I'm off to pour myself a whisky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010 09:52:07 PM »

wow that's truly a labour of love! it looks very very professional Smiley lucky bloke
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010 03:07:46 PM »

Can't wait to see it in action!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
knittersusie
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010 03:12:06 PM »

Thanks. It looks professional until you see my poorly made lining which I bodged a bit. But as long as he has the sense not to ask me to fix anything, it will all be good...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010 09:19:08 PM »

That looks very nice! Is "knitter'sbloke" your boyfriend, or is that a username? There isn't a space inbetween the to words, so it looks like a screenname.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
BlairsBear

Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010 04:31:16 PM »

that looks great, did the sizing work out?  I think we need an action shot here Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.
knittersusie
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010 03:02:09 PM »

I keep forgetting to take some photos of him wearing it. There were a few glitches to do with the length of the lining, which I've sewed on too small a stitch length to unpick (woops) but it's wearable and looks pretty good from the outside. His main complaint now is that it's far too warm!

Puffy, that's a habit I picked up from another board I use, where people's boyfriends/husbands/wives/partners/children are refered to by appropriate variations on your own username, unless they also use the board in which case you would use their username.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 8/12
Working with Several Yarns Tip
Thin Fluffy Yarn Knitting Tip
Three Zigzag Stitched Crocheted Chevron Patterns
What You Can Do with Yoyo Crochet Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...