A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,639
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any ideas? Flapper Style Dress  (Read 709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FriendlyJas
« on: February 11, 2010 03:06:24 PM »

http://www.unique-vintage.com/images/10048original.jpg

I was asked if I could make a knock-off of this dress. Because of all the beautiful detail that I just don't think I could replicate, I immediately said no. Now I am thinking about the dress. (I've become a little obsessed with the thought of making it.) Any ideas or suggestions? The  only alteration/deviation that was requested was possibly a more "straight" neckline. (Making the dress top a bit more modest. I'm thinking a scoop neck, as long as the scoop is not too low would be fine, too.) Ideas for making this dress?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010 03:32:48 PM by photojenn - Reason: removed hotlinked image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rajawa

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin ~WS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 03:11:34 PM »

The details remind me of what you would find on an Indian Wedding dress. 

Maybe you could find some ideas looking in that direction.  At least for fabric choices and bling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leenalivingdead
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010 08:30:00 AM »

Hmm, this is how I would approach it, but it may be kinda haphazard:

I would take a basic silhouette short dress pattern with the same bust seam (going over the bust and to the armpit area) and the desired neckline.  Make a muslin mock-up and, if you want the lines on the bodice to be separate pieces of fabric sewn together at the silver lines, cut those into strips and make the secondary pattern for the bust area from that.  If not, I don't think you would need the muslin mock-up, just make the basic dress and hand-sew the silver detail on it.

What I shall refer to as the skirt herein is starting just under the bust area, at that belt-thing.  I would make each droplet-part of the skirt a separate piece (with the lower layer in separate, longer pieces, too, though in the picture it looks like the lower layer of the skirt droplets is actually attached to the dress at the hip.) and sew them together before adding the silvery stuff--also something I would hand-sew.  Then attach the skirt to the belt-y part and attach it all at once to your basic dress from above.

Maybe use a serger or hand-sew the bottom edge of the skirt droplets, or just play around.

Anyway you decide to do it, post when it's done.  I would love to see the finished piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Messy Ponytail
How to Do the Slip Knot Braid
Styling Curly Hair - How to Style Curly Hair
Natural Treatments For Dandruff
Clamp-Free Curling Iron - Sultra Bombshell Product Review
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #107 Announced – Bottle It Up
Spotlight on: Knitting, Patterns Included
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...