A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My crafty kitchen in orange!  (Read 5063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010 02:01:07 PM »

So we bought our house in September and the kitchen was HORRID. I mean, plastic ivy everywhere, hideous floral wallpaper and random dusty birdhouses sitting around?! C'mon people.

So I decided it needed to be my favorite color- ORANGE! I put up a kind of paintable textured wallpaper (you can't really tell in the pictures though) because underneath that hideous floral wallpaper was some hideous brown wood paneling. I just didn't trust myself to pick off all the wallpaper just to have to look at the dark paneling. I think the orange really brightened it up and now I'm happy to be in the kitchen for more than a few minutes at a time Cheesy My dad helped cut and put up the chair rail, I thought it would add a little something to the room.

If you've ever swapped with me, you're likely to see something you made me in here Smiley And if it's not here, it's in the craft room that I'll be posting whenever I finally get the finishing touches up. I love my swap partners!

This is the only "full" wall in the kitchen, the rest are covered in cabinets and closets and refrigerators Tongue I painted the matching paintings because I didn't think I could find anything else I would like as much in stores. And money is really tight, after all. The teacup curtains were found at Salvation Army for a few bucks and I couldn't pass them up. Too cute! I eventually want to get some small tables to put on either side of the window so that wall doesn't look so empty.

Close up of the paintings

This is our little coat rack. The previous owner left it, but it had wallpaper (yeah...ick...) as the background and was just plain ugly. So I attacked it with paint and some of my favorite fabric from my stash.

I made a plastic bag holder out of the same fabric. Those things really come in handy!

A view of one of the long sides of the kitchen. I REALLY want to replace the cabinet hardware but it just isn't in the budget right now. In a few years we'll probably replace the dingy floors and the countertops (they're actually in good shape, but I'm just not a fan of hunter green in my orange kitchen)

The stove.

Microwave and pantry and a sneak peek of the dining room (mustard yellow and black! it's not quite done though.) We've always lacked counter space and cabinet space in previous places (apartment and rental home) so this kitchen is pretty much what sold us on this house.

The other side of the kitchen. I really want to paint those canisters but have no idea how to go about it...they're ceramic and have already been glazed. Ideas?

Our little bar and the closet that the washer and dryer are in. Note the amazing art quilt!

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I really <3 my kitchen now!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 02:27:28 PM »

Roll Eyes Shocked  My favorite color is orange as well, and I am EXTREMELY jealous of how nice that kitchen looks, and how GREAT you made it look on a very low budget!  AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Cealy
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 02:30:08 PM »

The orange looks great! As for your cupboard hardware, take it off and spray paint it if you want to tone it down a bit. If you have a paint swap in your town sometimes you can get some great deals on partial cans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hushgirl
Midnight Crafter

http://www.pinterest.com/hushgirl/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010 02:49:14 PM »

That looks great & I just love the little teacup & silverware paintings you did! I agree with Cealy about the hardware, you could just paint them...I've used silver spray paint to redo hardware before...just sand the knobs a little first (I wouldn't worry about sanding the hinges though).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuneAriala
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010 03:46:41 PM »

It all looks great.  I'd suggest looking for a Home store or something of the sort if you want to change the hardware-we have one where there is usually tons of stuff for $1/bag.  Or you could paint it with metal spray paint.  And you can paint the countertops with this special paint.  It might cost a bit, but much cheaper than replacing the whole thing.  You would just have to be careful dinging it, as it seems like it wouldn't hold up to really tough wear and tear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tropic_Rose

Radical She-ite

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010 04:03:33 PM »

I LOVE your kitchen and am super jealous of how nice it came out. I can't paint my kitchen because we are renting <frustrated wail> I wouldn't have thought of using orange, though. I'll have to add that to my palette of gorgeous colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is better to have crafted and failed then never to have crafted at all.
Yes, I am stalking the Toys and Playthings board. Thanks for noticing!
I'm cheating on Craftster with Pinterest. It's ok though. There's overlap.
ambermoony
Swap addict

I fix things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010 04:04:52 PM »

I have had good luck using enamel over ceramic glazes.  It's more likely to chip than on a non-glazed surface, but it seems to stick better than any other paints I've tried.  Just be sure to prime it, first, or nothing will stick to it!

PS - I think the hunter green actually goes quite well with the shade of orange, it makes a great accent color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zelda Swap (Rnd 2): crafting
Doctor Who Swap round 5: crafting

Open to personal swaps~
Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010 05:40:36 PM »

Aww, thanks guys! Your comments really make me feel great Cheesy

I'm definitely thinking about painting the hardware, but I can't decide what color! I don't want anything too light as there's already so much white in there, but I don't really want any kind of orange either. I don't know if silver would match anything else in the room. Any suggestions? Hunter green is OUT...I just can't fall in love with that color for some reason.

I have had good luck using enamel over ceramic glazes.  It's more likely to chip than on a non-glazed surface, but it seems to stick better than any other paints I've tried.  Just be sure to prime it, first, or nothing will stick to it!

PS - I think the hunter green actually goes quite well with the shade of orange, it makes a great accent color!

Thanks! I probably would have totally spaced out and not primed it, knowing me Tongue

We don't actually USE the canisters for anything but I love the mushroom theme that is going on with them. They smell kind of chemical-ey inside too- I think it's because my smart self put them in the dishwasher  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010 06:27:05 PM »

It looks great! I'm moving into a place with some of that horrible ivy-floral wallpaper in the kitchen... Unfortunately, we're renting and can't do a darned thing about it! It'll have to do, just looking at awesome kitchen makeovers like this, so I can dream about the day I can do one of my own! Smiley thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010 07:33:18 PM »

It looks great! I'm moving into a place with some of that horrible ivy-floral wallpaper in the kitchen... Unfortunately, we're renting and can't do a darned thing about it! It'll have to do, just looking at awesome kitchen makeovers like this, so I can dream about the day I can do one of my own! Smiley thanks for sharing!

Yeah, when we rented we dealt with the stark white walls in the kitchen where we rented for as long as we could...then we painted them red. We figured they wouldn't give us our deposit back anyway, might as well love the wall color!

There actually is a lot you can do to "mask" the crappy floral/ivy wallpaper though, if you don't have a choice Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Sightings at NYFW Rebecca Minkhoff Show
Lindsey Vonn Walks the Runway on Crutches at Go Red Fashion Show!
Diane Kruger Stuns at Peter Pilotto for Target Fashion Show
5 Hot Valentine’s Day Lingerie Looks
Celebrities Show Off Sexy Fashion at AmfAR Gala
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...