A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Choosing a Walking Foot for Singer 6233, needing advice please?  (Read 4050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 11, 2010 01:47:51 PM »

Before I launch into a story, I am trying to figure out what to put in my search criteria for feet for my sewing machine. I'm hoping someone else knows about this type of machine, as I've been on Google for a few days trying to research and am not learning a whole lot.

I went to Ebay.com to purchase some feet for my Singer 6233 because I was ready to try new things and am interested in quilting. I purchased one darning foot that hasn't arrived, and one walking foot that does not fit my machine (It sits 1/4 of an inch from the needle plate, and upon calling a local repair shop they said that it is supposed to meet with the plate. The fork part also rubs on the top of the foot holder thing.) I tried to research my machine before I made these purchases, learning that it is a Slant Shank, it takes snap on feet as well. I can't find a whole lot on this machine unfortunately. The Ebay post that said "Singer Slant Needle Walking Foot for all Singer Slant Machines." I can't figure out what a slant needle is, here (http://www.clotilde.com/pages/which_foot.html) they interchange the term slant needle and slant shank. I'm going to just sell this walking foot on Craigslist.com rather than pay to ship it back and wait for a refund/also losing the money I paid on shipping both times.

When I emailed the seller they said "Hello, the auction stated that it was for a slant needle machine not whether it was for a low or high shank."

I am just hoping that a sewing machine repair shop will have a used walking foot for my machine, and I can put it on right there in the store to check.

Here are pictures of my machine as well.

Front.

Looks slanted to me.

Model Info/Serial

Thank you in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
Just as I am
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 03:07:17 PM »

I think these people could help you  http://www.singerco.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 04:00:56 PM »

Ha ha, yeah, the Singer website is the first place I tried.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010 01:26:37 PM »

Yes, that is a slant shank (slant needle) machine. If the walking foot for slant shank Singers didn't fit, I suspect that the foot they send you was in reality, a low shank foot.

This article, Identify the Type of Feet for Your Sewing Machine has diagrams and pictures to really help explain the differences.

Here is a slant shank walking foot:

And here is a low shank walking foot of a similar style

The fitment issues you describe sound EXACTLY like you have the low shank version and you are trying to use it on a slant shank machine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010 07:22:27 PM »

I wish I'd known at the time that slant shank and slant needle were the same thing I would have left neutral feedback. Thank you for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010 06:11:21 AM »

If the eBay seller described the foot as being for a "slant needle" or they described it as being for a "slant shank" machine, the problem isn't with the terminology, as both are correct.  On the Singer slant machines, the needle bar is not perpendicular to the sewing bend, it is at a slant.  The same is true of the presser bar (shank).

The problem that I believe you have with the foot that you got from eBay is that you may have gotten a low shank foot sent to you instead of a slant needle/shank foot as was described.  The seller may have had good intentions, but either just made a simple error and grabbed the wrong foot, or doesn't know the difference. - really hard to say what exactly went wrong.

Anyhow, I do know the difference and if you need some help getting your mitts on the correct foot for your machine, contact me directly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Next-Level Fruit Salad
How to Make Movie Theater Popcorn Cake
Candied-Ginger Shortbread with Joel McHale
How to Make Peppermint Bark Candy
How to Make Peppermint-Toffee Brittle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...