A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Valentine's Day Card!  (Read 954 times)
Tags for this thread: greeting_card  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SciFunk
« on: February 11, 2010 02:14:30 AM »

I have been dying to try papercutting because I've seen so many gorgeous things done with it. However, I can't draw worth crap, so I figured I was kind of screwed. Then, brilliantly, I had one of those crafty ideas that just builds on itself. I was looking at wallpapers (the kind for your computer desktop, not your walls Tongue ), and there was this technique to get a vector-ish looking image that someone was discussing. Basically, you use a filter in Photoshop called "Cutout". I thought "Hey, that would adapt itself to a papercutting." then "HEY I could do some of my totally awesome MMORPG (Guild Wars) characters." and then I thought "Hey, Valentine's Day is coming up. You know what I bet my boyfriend would appreciate? A freaking Guild Wars card!" I also came up with a game related poem to put inside, which I'm super bloody proud of because I also can't write worth crap. I am a spinning/yarn/resin/fabric/baking kind of girl. Smiley

Normally I don't post personal-type stuff, but this just blew my mind, and I figured it could help out someone else looking for something awesome to do for Valentine's Day (or any other holiday. Or just because.)

Images!

The finished card! Christ I am so proud of it. That's my first papercut design! Is that not insane?!

After I adjusted the images in Photoshop (it took forever and a day to get it to something I liked), I made the filled in bits as dark as I could and printed them out. To trace through my fancy thick white paper, I rigged up a spur-of-the-moment lightbox by clipping the paper/printed image to a clipboard, then extending it over the end of a piano bench with a desk light shining up through the bottom.

This may or may not give a better idea of the lightbox type rigging.

Just an image of everything traced out, ready to cut. I think this looks pretty sweet too.

Aaand cutting it out. You can see the printed photoshop image behind the cuts because I didn't bother to remove it until the end. I worked in front of my computer with the image open so I could refer to it constantly and not have to do any creative artistic things on my own. Wink

Oh, and here is my cheesy poem (that I am also super proud of, which is why it goes in the post). If you don't play Guild Wars, you probably won't get it, but you can get a general idea (and see how easy it is to make up your own!). It was actually inspired by a Woot shirt that had Mario/Sonic/Player 2 references, but this is more "us".

Bean cakes are red
Minor runes are blue
Please click accept
And join my group
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010 05:33:00 AM »

I like it. Bet it'll be extra-meaningful to your bf too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
boadicea
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 11:08:49 AM »

This is amazing! I like seeing the process. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Enable Color Management in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use the Bridge CS3 in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Manage Colors in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize Menus and Shortcuts in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Customize the Adobe Photoshop CS3 Workspace
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...