A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,642
Currently Running With Scissors:
716 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AVATAR: The last airbender swap. swap signups 2/10-2/28 sendout 4/30 CLOSED  (Read 10201 times)
Tags for this thread: avatar  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mel_pez
Dawn's in trouble, it must be tuesday

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2010 11:57:58 PM »

So sorry my fellow craftsters for my lack of presence my house was broken into and among other things, my laptop was stolen but im back and super excited for sendouts soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2010 01:48:23 AM »

Eco Queen.... I've decided for my projects after looking at a few pictures that air is either white or off white...Depending on the project you can interpret the colors in different ways. Like I used blue for air and green for swamp bending. *grin*

Oh no mel_pez! I hope you are okay and that the break in hasn't affected you too much.

Craft update: I've completed one item, two are nearing completion, and the last needs a trip to the craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EcoQueen
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2010 02:54:38 PM »

Thanks raeraethejetplane! That really helps. I think I'm going to lean to a semi gold off white ish color. Swamp bending? Awesome Cheesy

Oh my gosh mel I'm so sorry! That really sucks! I'm glad your back though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecogeek*
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2010 10:03:00 PM »

wow some serious drama is has happened with out avatar craftsters. hopfully everything is ok with everyone.

now i seem to have been confused about the send out date (thought it was the 20th not the 30th) so i'm all done and hopefully *crosses fingers* sending out tmr. I was just curious how everyone else was getting along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raesmom
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2010 06:00:13 AM »

Oh no mel-pez. So sorry to hear your house was broken into. Hope you are doing ok.

I have a couple of projects completed and two more to complete today. I have everything in place to do them. I just get one shot at finishing in so I'm a little nervous I will mess it up. If I do that I'm not sure how I'll fix it but just to start all over.

I hope to send off Monday. We are going out of town at the end of next week so I want to get this done as early as possible next week. This will give me the weekend to make any last minute changes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2010 10:13:49 AM »

Also DONE!! and sending Monday!!!  Hopefully that's some GOOD news, mel_pez!!  Wink Sounds like you could use it!!

I feel like there has been a lack in news about the movie lately...anyone heard anything interesting??

Oh!  I did see a Japanese trailer that showed (very breifly) a flying on Appa clip, and some cool water bending, but still not satisfied!  Need more info!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2010 12:30:30 PM »

Nothing except the supposed racist controversy that I read in my local paper... THis article however is more thorough in representing both sides. http://scifiwire.com/2008/12/is-m-night-shyamalans-last-airbender-casting-racist.php

Do I think it's racist?... Maybe. I'm simply a little disappointed. Avatar is an ethnically ambiguous show where everyone looks to be mixed with a little of something. I would be nice to see more actors out in hollywood who are ethnically ambiguous. And I'm asking for more than a full grown woman who is "exotic" or a mixed black kid who has some of the "better" qualities like lighter skin or straight hair. But maybe that's coming from a lifetime of coming from two different colors where I had to pick one and not just be me. I was happy to read that the actor playing Aang is a karate champ, especially since I found his form to be sloppy in the promo which is usually filmed long before the movie is finished. Despite what people say I can see him as Aang. The other characters I find hard to swallow.

I don't think it's as big a deal as people are making it out to be but I would like to hear some thoughts on it from like-minded people. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2010 12:51:41 PM »

I have also read a lot about the racial controversy.  I don't know if it is just because I am not in a racial minority that I feel it isn't "whitewashing."  I CAN see why some people would have a problem with actor choices, but completely agree that it isn't as big a deal as it is being made out to be.  The Avatar world is obviously influenced by Asian culture, but I did not think that the characters were obviously Asian, especially Katara and Sokka -- they are Inuit, right??  I thought it was cool that Sham. was representing several different cultures (rumor is that the Earth Kingdom and Toph will be Asian) in the different nations, even though the Fire Nation was never Indian in my imagination.  Although, I AM disappointed with Sokka and Katara's skin color...they for sure need a tan (and this is in spite of my love for Jackson Rathbone...AND Sokka... Tongue).

Also...I am a little concerned about the serious tone of the movies....I read a funny quote somewhere that said "Ease up on the AAngst, you're still in Book One!!"

YET...dispite all this, I am still excited!!  I hope that we aren't all disappointed....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tygermane
Addicted to crafting

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2010 06:28:57 PM »

I think i'm done!!!!  WOOHOO!!!  Just need to find a box to send it in.  Grin  I hope you like everything Deseree!!

Almost forgot to ask, do we have a gallery yet?  I didn't see one up on the gallery board?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010 06:29:44 PM by Tygermane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

EcoQueen
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2010 09:06:50 AM »

I'm really excited! I'm going to the library with some friends of mine to work on our crafts! (Boy we are going to get some looks a lot of teens crafting). I'm almost done and I'm pretty sure I can mail tomorrow!

Btw has anyone ever seen an Avatar commercial and you start thinking "OMG its Avatar the Last Airbender!" but then you realize its not? I swear I've been doing that so many times!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Turkey Curry Quick and Easy
How to Serve Sausage and Mash
How to Serve a Bacon Roly Poly
How to Stuff Mini Quesadillas
How to Heat Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...