A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: old lipstick?  (Read 7072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2005 11:42:01 AM »

I have a ton of lipsticks, my family runs a theatre company of sorts locally and so I've been on the recieving end of lots of make-up for a while. Every time we buy new stuff we have to get rid of the older stuff that we don't use/has been mostly used.
I just came across a box of about 25 (possibly more) lipsticks. Some look like they've been only used once or twice but some look almost gone. There's quite a variety of colors.

any nifty ideas? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrandieGurl28
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005 12:29:32 PM »

put them in a little tiny glass vat (like something lip gloss would come in.) ass vasoline, mircowave, add a bit of flavoring(or leave that out) and then youve got new lip gloss Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
owalkerjillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005 11:51:20 AM »

awesome thanks.. what if i used them as like a paint of sorts and then put a sealer on it so there was no smudging... would that look okay do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danajill
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005 11:56:02 AM »

you could donate them to a women's shelter. Although maybe they wouldnt want used lipstick. Just an idea! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005 09:06:54 PM »

I don't mean to be a spoilsport but if other people have used this stuff the thought occurs to me that there could be all sorts of grebblies like herpes and such like... eeeeewwww!!!!!  My vote is when in doubt chuck it out!!!!!     
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fl_mariposa
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2005 05:56:32 AM »

It's just lipstick. Anyways, if you're worried about it, why would you throw ALL of it away? Just cut off the used end. Not nearly as wasteful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
gagreel
snickerdoodle cookie

I heart Queen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005 07:26:39 PM »

i'm with the herpes chick...sorry to be the spoilsport again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never paint my dreams or nightmares, I only paint my own reality"   -Frida Kahlo
shade72
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005 08:12:33 PM »

i don't know what you could use the lipstick for other than melting it down into new lipsticks.
and you CAN'T get herpes from used lipsticks. the only way that would happen is if someone w/ the Herp used it and you used it immediately after. Herpes needs a living organism to thrive on, moist lipstick ain't it.
I'm not trying to be hypercritical -- but people should really read up on communicable diseases (especially potential STD's). I think it would lessen the spread, ya know? I guess a fungus could thrive on a moist lipstick, but not herpes.
anyway, if you want to melt down the barely used ones I would cut off the used tips then melt 'em down (cause lets face it, even though you can't get the schmerpies from them it's still kinda skeevie to use the lipstick of unknown persons) also, the heat from melting them will probably kill any germs that may be on the sticks.
maybe you could also make stained glass windows? just color on windows w/ them.

you could use the tubes themselve as pill boxes, a place to store straight pins, bobby pins
OH! you could decorate the tubes and use them to send tiny little scrolls with secret messages to your friends! then they can turn around and use them to store asprin and what-have-you.
make a little flower vase, when you twist the tube the flower pops up (i may have to try this). this could be another secret surprise for a friend.

in the end, i would skip re-using the lipstick itself and just do something w/ the tubes. but if you have a cat or dog you could always play beauty parlor. they won't care where the make-up has been Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005 12:00:42 PM »

I'm going to defend myself right now Wink  You can get cold sores from lipstick every cosmetic site i went to said ... get a cold sore-throw it out!  Even your own Shocked  You can also contract meningitis(yes I went and looked)from lipstick and various staph and strep infections.  By the way cold sores are a herpes infection.  Even never used lipstick should be thrown out after 2 yrs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade72
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005 04:05:07 PM »

I'm going to defend myself right now Wink 

no need to defend yourself  (i certainly didn't mean to put you on the defense but i can see how my post would, sorry) Smiley i was just offereing my opinion and the knowledge i have; it's cool that you shared yours too. i've read a lot of stuff that says the virus needs a living host to thrive, asked a dr once too (but you know, they aren't always right either). something like herpes (all the versions) seems to be a mystery, kind of like the common cold. it could be lurking anywhere and its better to be safe than sorry. that being said, i totally agree, when in doubt, throw it out. If you really want to use the lipstick, find a non-cosmetic use for it.

(and in case you all are wondering why i am so chatty about this subject it is because the herps is like, my worst nightmare that hopefully will never happen....so i am kinda obsessed with it.   Tongue hee hee)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005 02:39:31 PM »

aw geeze.. i didn't mean to spur a herpies debate. i wasn't planning on using them for cosmetic reasons. cause yea.. even if you can't get herpes you never know what kinda shady people used the lipsticks. I was looking for something less beauty and more crafty. but thanks for worrying and suggestion some nifty stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shortestkitty
Wootage.

Ghost ride your whip.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005 02:46:11 PM »

I've personally always loved the look of lipstick tubes. Maybe you could create some art with the tubes or stick them together to make nifty little boxes (like Lincoln Logs)? Just  a thought. You could probably paintw/ it on canvases or even fabric, too; it does stain. Maybe spray-fixative would help it stay  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look! Round windows!

Check out my Etsy shop for handpainted fashion goodness:
http://www.frompapertocloth.etsy.com

And yes, there's a blog: http://frompapertocloth.blogspot.com
shade72
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005 06:07:20 PM »

aw geeze.. i didn't mean to spur a herpies debate. i wasn't planning on using them for cosmetic reasons. cause yea.. even if you can't get herpes you never know what kinda shady people used the lipsticks. I was looking for something less beauty and more crafty. but thanks for worrying and suggestion some nifty stuff. Smiley

haha, no debate here. just some differing opinions Smiley its all good. this thread made for a good brainstorm session!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005 06:32:16 PM »

Well it isn't the most crafty of ideas, but I like to write on mirrors with lipstick.  Some nice body-positive messages scrawled on the mirror of the women's bathroom in a resturaunt can make a difference to someone. Smiley

Plus, it cleans up easily, so it's not troublesome to the janitors. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
silence.est.harmony
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009 11:43:16 AM »

Well it isn't the most crafty of ideas, but I like to write on mirrors with lipstick.

Or you can write something tempting on the mirror for your honey to find ;-)  I would also use it for "painting"  just as a different medium instead of typical ol paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stephi <3

http://craftyelements.blogspot.com/

http://handmadehoney.etsy.com/
---------
"cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands butter side down.  what happens if you strap buttered bread to the back of a cat?  perpetual levitation device?"
cataway

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009 10:05:43 AM »

Saw a really gorgeous portable pin cushion made from an empty lipstick tube. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
airamadila
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009 02:26:05 AM »

Eventhough most posts are from 2005, i'd like to share "my" (saw it elsewhere)
idea: Use them as tampon containers. No need for shame when you empty your bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009 02:43:15 AM »

i like the art idea, i'm thinking draw on some parchment paper, then put another piece over it and press well down (to prevent smudgies) then use as window decor

as for the kooties thing, bacteria can and do hibernate, they can survive for years waiting for the appropriate conditions to wake them up and allow them tp multiply, viruses are a bit more hinky but either way, any for of make-up sharing is baaad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
AngelBird
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010 02:08:12 PM »

Another cool thing to do would be to let kids have a blast using them as 'crayons' on a big piece of brown paper and let them use it kind of like finger paint.  Since there is a worry about the used stuff I would make sure their older so they don't stick their hands in their mouth or anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Smart Guides in InDesign CS4
How to Use the Application Bar in InDesign CS4
How to Edit With Autocorrect in InDesign CS4
How to Draw Stimpy
How to Draw Captain Hook
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...