A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A few experiments  (Read 1752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 10, 2010 07:51:37 PM »

I tend to shy away from patterns.  However, you generally need the basic shape to sew things, so I do have patterns.  I take the patterns and modify them for what I want to sew.

This skirt is sorta inspired by the steampunky-gothy-culture and just something fun.  The patchwork denim is pretty stretchy and the black has no stretch.  I used a pattern I had for a knit skirt, with some modifications.  I was going to add a zipper to the back, but the denim had enough stretch that I didn't need it.  I can just pull it up.  I added a kick pleat to the back for ease of walking.  The front is decorated with the fringe selvage and the ends of some purse handles I got on clearance.  I'm not quite sure where I'm going to wear it.  It might be a bit much for casual Fridays at work.   Wink 

This shirt is from a wrap top pattern, where I modified it quite a bit.  I like how it turned out.  It is a really light black knit, so a fun little "jacket" over a short sleeved shirt.  Here I am actually wearing it over a cross front long sleeved top...it is still winter.  I need to figure out a good pin to keep the front closed when I want to wear it that way.

The inspiration for this came from an $80 sweater knit shirt I saw while walking through a department store.  I figured I could make it myself.

Thanks for looking!  Grin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010 08:14:48 PM »

I love them!
really original and different. I think that is what makes something special!

and so true about making things yourself that are very overpriced in stores! you would have never known!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010 08:16:29 PM »

I <3 that skirt

I am looking to swap for knitting needles and supplies! If you are interested in doing a PERSONAL SWAP with me, please PM me! Thanks!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010 08:33:58 PM »

Thanks both!

I love them!
original and different. I think that is what makes something special!

and so true about making things yourself that are very overpriced in stores! you would have never known!

You know I have a hard time buying some clothes now, because I look at it and know I have fabric at home and I can make that!  Sweaters, yeah, I have to buy, but knit stuff and the like I can totally make myself.  Sometimes it is great to be so self sufficient, but other times, I just want to buy it and save time LOL!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010 09:17:53 PM »

I'm having serious coveting issues with that skirt right now! so gorgeous

Sometimes it is great to be so self sufficient, but other times, I just want to buy it and save time LOL!

ack, that's EXACTLY how i feel. When i go shopping now, it's like "this is just a piece of cloth. i don't know why it's $30" or i can't find something that actually looks interesting enough to wear (although i feel i would if i went to super expensive boutiques. but then my wallet would be sad)

and then i spend hours making this one hoodie - while the result is sweet, i usually grumble to myself during the process Tongue

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010 11:12:05 PM »

I love it! Very tidy and creative!

Crafting since birth
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010 12:59:58 PM »

I like both of these very much.  The skirt is especially different - and the blouse is quite lovely.

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010 06:04:50 PM »

I love that skirt!!!  I work in an office and i would definitely wear that to work. you could pair it with a nice subdued sweater to balance it out,(maybe gray or black ) and finish it off with some boots.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Art Is Not A Crime
Tommy the Wheelchair Artist
How Tommy Hollenstein Puts Wheels to Paper
Women Empowerment Through Female Animated Character
No Recession For Picasso
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...