A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Infinity Dress Questions  (Read 2731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MsCraftyPants
« on: February 10, 2010 04:59:03 PM »

Hi all! I'm a fairly new sewer (I've made a quilt, duvet cover, a few easy gathered skirts with knit waistbands, and some other random things!). I recently came across the infinity dress tutorial, ran out and bought some cheap fabric (cotton knit) and quickly made one up! LOVE IT.

I'm Maid of Honor in a wedding this fall, and am helping the bride pick out the maids' dresses. She actually really likes the infinity dress (which is hysterical, because out of the 5 million dresses she's had me try on, it's the only one she likes...). I really think I could make these very easily for the four of us.

My questions are:

1.) Would you recommend matte jersey, or will it roll? What other fabrics would work (which would be the best??)

2.) The tutorial I used didn't have any hems put in on the edges (which makes sense, since you'd see them). So...how do the edges get finished?

Thanks for any help!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clutter and mess show us life is being lived...
pinkpalace
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010 06:08:19 PM »

hi!
i just posted pics of my attempt. I used a stretch breathable cotton instead of jersey and yes it needed to be edged. I did a rolled hem on the serger.

but from what i have read jersey does not fray and therefore does not need to be hemmed.

I dont have a high knowledge of fabrics but could you see if the matt fabric frays from the cut sectons?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx
PP
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 08:02:59 AM »

Hi, there!  You can actually use any 2-way (4-way?  I forget...) stretch fabric.  I'd look into rayon and bamboo jerseys, which are incredibly soft and have a gorgeous sheen to them.  You can also find stretch silks pretty easily.  Ask the bride how formal she wants the dresses to be, and go from there.

And to hem the straps, why not line them?  Essentially, use tubes instead of flat rectangles, so that your raw edges will be enclosed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
tarriknits
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010 11:06:55 AM »

And to hem the straps, why not line them?  Essentially, use tubes instead of flat rectangles, so that your raw edges will be enclosed.

That's a nice idea, you could use the same fabric for the lining to get a uniform look or go for a contrast or highlight colour for a bit of extra 'drama' or to pick out colours of the colour scheme i.e. a bride may have an orange colour scheme but not all the bridesmaids would suit orange dresses, so cream dresses with the orange lining would give just hints here and there to tie in with the overall look without anybody looking jaundiced.

If you do go for the lining option then make sure you cut and attach the lining fabric in the same direction as the main fabric so that the stretches work together instead of in opposition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010 12:09:59 PM »

Ooh, a tone on tone look would be nice, too!  I'm thinking of Steel Magnolias, where Julia Roberts' colors are "blush" and "bashful".  Having the lining of the straps just slightly different, and then maybe doing a two layered skirt (you'd almost be making two dresses, and attaching them at the waist) would not only make the dress reversible, but it would make the wedding colors (if there are two) pop a little bit extra.  If you did this, you could omit the waistband, too, unless you need it for stability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StarlaAdora
half jill / half jack

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010 07:03:46 PM »

reversible infinity bridesmaid dresses: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=271380.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

be afraid of the lame, they'll inherit your legs...
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010 04:48:52 AM »

reversible infinity bridesmaid dresses: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=271380.0

YES!  Now I want to make one for me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirchita

somewhere over the rainbow....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010 05:17:07 PM »

I've made this for a wedding party, I've hemmed the edges and made an "under-top" for a best shape

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=261770.msg2934087#msg2934087
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zynamon
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010 10:56:55 AM »

I know I'm late replying but I thought I'd reply anyways. I just made one last night with a 4 way stretch jersey. It does roll, but it doesn't look bad. I'm making another with what was labelled "100% mixed fibers" but stretches. I'm assuming it was some sort of knit jersey type. It's not as shiny, but it seems to be working out well.

Just make sure your material stretches. I attempted this with non-stretch quite a while back and it did not work at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
End-of-Summer TV Character Fashion Styles
Top Marni for H&M Items
Top Prom Trends with Seventeen Magazine
Cassandra Kellog Closet Interview With StyleLikeU
Betsey Johnson Fall 2012 Runway Show at New York Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...