A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding planning thread 5/28/2011 WITH UPDATES!  (Read 2500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heykiwi
« on: February 10, 2010 10:32:11 AM »

My wonderful boyfriend proposed to me on New Years Day so there will be lots of wedding craftiness for the next year and a half! We are planning a very simple, very casual wedding because a) that's our style and a formal wedding would just be uncomfortable and weird for us, b) because we are paying for most of it ourselves and c) the location is the most important thing on our list and getting to our location is going to cost us quite a little chunk of change... We have decided to get married in Santa Barbara, which is where we met and probably one of the most beautiful places that I can think of to get married but that means paying for plane tickets and a place to stay out there in addition to everything related to the wedding itself (we live in DC). Our budget is going to be pretty small since we are in steady but not extraordinarily well paying jobs but from what we have already figured out our wedding is going to be beautiful and perfect for us despite that fact. My parents were nice enough to offer to pay for our honeymoon, which honestly if we had to pay for that ourselves we would have just opted out of, so I feel very lucky to have that!

I just had to stick in a cute picture of us Cheesy

And the closest thing to an engagement picture we will have done!

I have created an inspiration board with picture of all of the things I have found and figured out so far... I love it! Our colors are shades of orange with accents of grey. We will be getting married in the Sunken Gardens of the Santa Barbara Courthouse (top left picture) and our reception is going to be a relaxed barbecue in the backyard at the house that our families will be renting for the weekend complete with some bottles of local wine.

Things I have done:
*My dress... purchased for $30 in the prom section at Filene's Basement... Please ignore our messy house and my awful expression

*My bouquet and the bridesmaid bouquets made from coffee filter flowers... I have successfully mastered the coffee filter flower and the coloring I want. Two flowers down, a lot to go!

*Found a suitable house that will fit nine people that we can rent for three or four days so our families can finally get to know each other (mine is from California, his is from Maryland originally and currently residing in Ohio)
*Reserved our courthouse location! Cheesy

Things I (or family/friends) will be making:
*Save the dates... I am very inspired by photobooth type things I have seen so I have drawn up my own version of that already. I will probably do postcards since it will be cheaper to send them.
*Invitations... I have about a million ideas on these right now and I need to test some out before I decide on one. But I have plenty of time on that front.
*The table centerpieces... One idea is making orange paper flowers on a branch (like in this: http://dozidesign.blogspot.com/2008/05/paper-flower-tutorial.html) with grey river rocks as a base inside a large glass cylinder and then some little candles in smaller glass cylinders. I want to keep it casual but still pretty. The other is doing some sort of artistic seashell display. I've got time to figure that one out.
*Tablecloths
*A cake stand (or two) out of plates and vases
*Decorations for the ends of the rows of chairs for the ceremony... I am thinking either the tissue paper poufs or some sort of folded origami type dealio in oranges and peaches. The chairs will be either white or wood. Maybe something like this: http://www.lunabazaar.com/mango-orange-14-inch-honeycomb-rice-paper-daisy.aspx
*Orange and white patterned dresses and grey sashes for my bridesmaids... This type of fabric at a reasonable price is what I am currently looking for...

*Jewelry for my bridesmaids. I already have drawn up the designs for these pieces.
*A lot of the food... My aunt has offered to buy us pies instead of a cake. I (and my future brother in law) will be marinating the meat for the barbecue, and maybe making a side dish or two, but the rest I will buy premade from various places in Santa Barbara.

I will keep updating this as I get more figured out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010 10:36:42 PM by heykiwi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010 11:50:04 AM »

Wow...I'm excited to see where you end up with it all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
hawtmamah
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010 11:58:55 AM »

congrats! love your color scheme:) can't wait to see all the finished projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010 09:32:44 AM »

Normally, I don't like orange, but the shades of orange you've chosen are really rich and gorgeous, and really go with the Cali/ beach vibe.  Congrats, and beautiful design board.  Post pics when you have projects together (if you have time!) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
heykiwi
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010 05:05:53 PM »

Thank you guys so much for the positive feedback! I am mid project on about five things wedding related right now so I will post as soon as I actually have something to show! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riverwatson
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010 10:01:51 AM »

Grin I LOVE your paper flowers on a branch centerpieces! Stealing this idea will save me SO much money! I have a TON of grapevine branches from a grape vine I removed from my garden last year. Sticking pretty handmade paper flowers on them will be the PERFECT substitute for my original idea- orchids. Orchids are gorgeous, but they're also expensive, fragile, and impossible to transport! You've saved my life!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010 12:56:55 PM »

Can't wait to see how it all works out!! Smiley  I'm working on finishing up my coffee filter bouquets - they're so worth the work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
dancersummer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010 07:08:24 AM »

Any tips on the coffee filter roses? 
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pilgrimpriest
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010 02:58:42 PM »

I love your colors. And the fact that you got your dress for $30! I'm making mine, and I'm going to be spending a whole lot more than that. (Also the two of you are very cute!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heykiwi
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010 05:22:27 AM »

Thank you all for the positive encouragement! Cheesy
Dancersummer: The first flower is a little frustrating but after that you get the hang of it. I recommend watching the video on Martha Stewart's website and following along and also doing several in an assembly line type fashion (cut them all, then put them all together, then paint them all) because each flower itself is kind of time consuming. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate Your Own Wedding Cake
Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble Recipe
How to Make Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
How to Make Easy Homemade Chocolate Truffles
How to Make Mini Sticky Buns
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...