A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jojo's Sweetheart Brownie Bites - Perfect for Valentine's Day  (Read 9379 times)
Tags for this thread: brownie , cookie_cutter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 10, 2010 05:49:37 AM »

I bake up something special for my nephews for almost every holiday, so this year I had big plans for Valentine's Day. My original petit fours idea went out the window when I realized my favorite almond cake wouldn't work. My nephew has a nut allergy, and I'd rather a gift from me not cause him to swell up and get rashy Smiley Thus, the idea for brownie bites was born. You really don't need much aside from the basic ingredients, a tiny heart shaped cookie cutter, a 9x13 inch baking pan, and about an hour.

To package them up I used mini cupcake liners (I'm pretty sure they are Wilton and can be found in most craft stores or Walmart) and tucked them into a small box. I had a plastic package from pine nuts that I thought made them look cutesy and store bought, but any small box will do. The label is just decorative paper, gel ink, and spray adhesive: easy peasy blah blah blah...

Jojo's Sweethearts Brownie Bites:

Ingredients:
One batch of standard brownie batter (I used a box, but you can make your favorite from scratch recipe)
Zest of one tangerine
1 cup dark fondue chocolate (or candy melts)
Pink, white, and red nonpareils
Red sweethearts

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 inch glass pan and line with parchment paper to create a sling. Stir zest into brownie batter. (This isn't essential, but it is soo very worth it. A bit of orange flavor really kicks up chocolate, and these end up being super-moist little decadent treats instead of 'just another brownie.') Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan to a cutting board when completely cooled.

Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out brownies. Set aside.

In a double boiler or microwave, melt chocolate. Using a fork*, dip brownies into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Lay on a wire rack** and decorate with nonpareils and sweethearts. You need to do this step quickly as the chocolate sets as soon as it cools! Continue for each brownie:

Allow chocolate to set for 15 minutes before packaging.

* I don't spear the brownies with a fork, I lay them flat on top of the tines. It lets all the extra chocolate drip off, and they slide off the fork easily.

** I don't use wax paper for this because I hate when little pools of chocolate harden around the bottom of a treat. It ruins it. This way any excess drips off, and I can just pop the cooled bites off by pushing them up from underneath the rack with my fingers. Yes, you'll get a little wire mark in the bottom, but it's better than a puddle!

And one last quick note! If you plan to ship these, like I did, you'll want to make sure they are snugly packaged to avoid breakage. Since my plastic box was just taller than the brownies, they didn't move around at all. If you use a bigger box and there is open space, pack it with a little crumpled parchment paper, tissue, or more baking papers so the brownies won't jump around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010 06:04:47 AM »

looks deeeeelicious! You;re making me hungry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010 07:02:27 AM »

Thanks for the great little tute!  (My personal pet peeve is when someone puts up pictures of something they baked and then say nothing about recipe or technique.)  Way to go to you for sharing with the group!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
sum1smuma
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010 07:15:01 AM »

yummy. I am going to try these. I can not get over how perfect they look. Thanks for the cooling rack tip, no more puddles here!

Made these today and everyone thought they were adorable. Super easy and I even did various types and am thrilled with the finished product. The coating helps keep the brownie stay moist and they looked store bought. Wink Thank you!!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010 05:55:14 PM by sum1smuma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010 07:56:17 AM »

So adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010 09:11:53 AM »

Yum yum yum!!  Thank you so much for sharing!  These shall be my Foodie Friday this week... drool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
strwberesh0rtcke
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010 11:22:47 AM »

These look delicious  Cheesy! However, if your nephew is allergic to nuts, is packaging the treats in a pine-nuts container the best idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I REALLY want some funny hoop-framed embroidery! Wanna do a personal swap?
alicat32
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010 05:16:04 AM »

I need these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010 05:18:00 AM »

I need them in my belly. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
The Red Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010 06:34:39 AM »

love it!  I can't wait to make these for my boyfriend (who is a chocoholic!)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Where Is the Best Glass Blowing Museum
The History of Glass Blowing
How to Tie the Handcuff Knot
How to Sew a Dress
What Is Glass Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...