A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bottle cutter?  (Read 3295 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

c2afwife
« on: February 09, 2010 06:46:16 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good bottle cutter? Specifically to cut the top and bottoms off of wine bottles and such. TIA!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mike Jordan
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010 08:34:58 PM »

I don't know of a "good" bottle cutter, there are a number of ways that people cut bottles. Some use the hot wire, some use glass cutters, some use a saw.  I think none are perfect but you can get good results some of the time from any method.  There are bottle cutters around (Delphi sells one) where the bottle is held in a frame and with a glass cutter held up against the bottle the bottle is rotated around to score it. Some people use the long handle glass cutter and reach inside to tap around where the score is, some tap on the outside. 

Myself, I just flatten them in the kiln. Cheesy

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mickwallion
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010 03:57:47 AM »

Not sure.. but heard of a experiment in child hood..!! Take a thin thread and dip it in petrol and make round on the gass you want to cut..!! then lit the thread with fire and let it burn for some time..  put that in water till the level of the thread and just try to move it..you will find the place the thread tied separating from the bottom part. Its done just by expansion of glass when its heated up theory..!!

Lovd it..!! Ha ha aha...!!

Mick.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

turner
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010 02:53:41 AM »

This glass bottle cutter by Ephrem looks a breeze, and it might even make you feel better. glass bottle cutter kit includes:glass bottle cutter Bottle cutter, 3-wheel cutting head, Candle,Polishing paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCuttingEtch
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010 01:16:03 PM »

Did you ever find one? They have some at Michael's but I am afraid to try the cheap-o versions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmandimarie
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012 12:34:57 PM »

my bf and i do the same thing. I bought a hand held glass cutter and he made a jig, which we found the directions for online. It works very well and makes a straight clean line. Then we heat the scrotched mark and dunk it in cold water and the top pops right off
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robylwood
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013 01:09:52 PM »

I have heard of the string method as well with fingernail polish remover soaked string, wrap it around bottle bottom, light it and then dip it in cold water and bottom will fall off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Street Vs. High End Foundations
Theodore Leaf Responds to Your Elevator Makeover Comments
Quick Beauty Tips for Working Moms
How Does Nair Hair Removal Work?
Are Juice Cleanses a Good Idea?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...