A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
806 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SanDisk Sansa View 16 GB Video MP3 Player Case  (Read 737 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: February 09, 2010 06:24:38 PM »

I've been lurking here for a little while and thought it's about time I posted something original. Smiley

My husband bought me a new MP3 player when my 2 1/2 year old Sansa player died. The new SanDisk Sansa View (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Video-Player-Black/dp/B000VM8EDW) that he got me was slightly larger than my last one. I wanted to see if I could make a new case for this player because I need one with an armband when I go to the gym.

I used my original pleather case as my model for this one. I think this pattern could be resized fairly easily for any of the wheel control-designed MP3 players. If anyone is interested, I've got photos on my blog (the link is below).

--Tape measure
--Yarn needle
--E sized crochet hook
--1 button (1/2 wide)
--Metal ring (1-1 in length), either rectangular or D shapedthis is optional, in case you want to wear the player on a lanyard
--Piece of thin cardboard, cut the same size as the MP3 player (4.2 x 2)
--1 skein Premier Yarn Deborah Norville Collection Serenity Sock Weight in Saffron (#08)You will be working with 2 strands of this yarn at the same time (This is a very fine, soft yarn and I didn't think it would work at one strand at a time.)
--I reused the arm band from a case that was too small for this model

Front of the Case (worked from the bottom up)
Row 1: Leave a good length of yarn and chain 14.
Row 2: Turn and work 13 SC in the chain, starting from the second chain from the hook.
Row 3: Chain 1 and turn. Continue with 13 SC along the width of the piece.
Row 4 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Work 4 SC and one slip stitch at the end. Turn. At this point, you will start working on the right hand side of the case to leave an open space for the wheel. The left side will be worked later.
Row 5 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Skip the space of the slip stitch and work 4 SC.
Row 6 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Work 3 SC and one slip stitch at the end.
Row 7 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Skip the space of the slip stitch and work 3 SC.
Row 8 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC and one slip stitch at the end.
Row 9 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Skip the space of the slip stitch and work 2 SC.
Rows 10-11 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 sc and turn at the end.
Row 12 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Work 1 SC in the first SC, and 2 SC in the last SC (total of 3 SC).
Row 13 (R): Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC in the first SC, and 1 SC each in the next 2 SC (total of 4 SC). Pull up a loop of the 2 strands together and cut off a length of yarn. Youll use this loop later.

Turn the piece over. Reattach the 2 strands with a slip stitch at the outside edge of row 3 and chain 1. Now youll be working on the left side of the wheel.

Row 4 (L): Work 4 SC and one slip stitch at the end. Turn.
Row 5 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Skip the space of the slip stitch and work 4 SC.
Row 6 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Work 3 SC and one slip stitch at the end.
Row 7 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Skip the space of the slip stitch and work 3 SC.
Row 8 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC and one slip stitch at the end.
Row 9 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Skip the space of the slip stitch and work 2 SC.
Rows 10-11 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC.
Row 12 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Work 1 SC in the first SC, and 2 SC in the last SC (total of 3 SC).
Row 13 (L): Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC in the first SC, and 1 SC each in the next 2 SC (total of 4 SC).

Row 14: Chain 1 and turn. Work 4 SC along the length of the previous row. Chain 6. Insert the hook from the front of the last SC at the end of row 13 (R) and attach the chain with a SC. Finish doing SC across the length of that row. At the end, insert your hook through the front of the loop you pulled up earlier and attach the two with a slip stitch (you may have to pull the loops tail tight).

Row 15: Chain 1 and turn. Work 13 SC along the length of the row.
Row 16: Chain 1 and turn. Continue working 13 SC along the row.

Rows 17-27 (R): This will create the right side of the screen opening. Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC. When you reach the end of row 28 (R), pull up another loop of the 2 strands together and cut off a length of yarn. Youll use this loop later as well.

Turn the piece over. Reattach the 2 strands with a slip stitch at the outside edge of row 17 and chain 1. Now youll be working on the left side of the screen.

Rows 17-27 (L): This will create the left side of the screen opening. Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC.
Row 28: Chain 1 and turn. Work 2 SC along the length of the previous row. Chain 9. Insert the hook from the front of the last SC at the end of row 27 (R) and attach the chain with a SC (insert your hook through the front of the loop you pulled up earlier and attach the two with a slip stitch). Finish doing SC across the length of that row.
Row 29: Chain 1 and turn. Work 13 SC along the length of the row. Finish off yarn.

Armband strap (worked from the bottom up)
Row 1: Leave a good length of yarn and chain 7.
Row 2: Turn and work 6 SC in the chain, starting from the second chain from the hook.
Row 3: Chain 1 and turn. Continue with 6 SC along the width of the piece.
Continue repeating row 3 until the piece is 3 long.

When you are ready to start the last row, (if you are inserting the D ring), line the ring up and crochet over it, still continuing with the 6 SC, to attach it to the piece.

Leave another good length of yarn and fasten off.

Back of the CaseMake 2

Once sewn together, this will be a sleeve for the cardboard to slide into. You may have to trim the cardboard smaller to fit into it.
Row 1: Chain 14.
Row 2: Turn and work 13 SC in the chain, starting from the second chain from the hook.
Rows 3-29: Chain 1 and turn. Continue with 13 SC along the width of the piece. Fasten off yarn. Keep the second back piece on the hook.

Before attaching these pieces to each other, attach the armband strap to the first back piece. Center the armband strap and sew it on (at the straps top and bottom) with the yarn needle and the extra lengths of yarn. Depending on the size of the armband youre reusing, you may want to run it through the armband strap to find out if you need to add a few extra stitches in the strap and back to make it fit more snug.

To put these pieces together, lay them together so that the armband strap is outward. Do SCs around three sides of the pieces, leaving the top seam open. To make the turn around the corners, work 3 SC per corner. Slip in the cardboard gently (you may have to remove it to do some trimming to make it fit better).

Take your front piece and pay it face down.
Row 1: Attach the yarn with a slip stitch to the lower right corner. Do SCs around four sides of the front piece, and do the corners with 3 SC again.
Row 2: Continue working another round of SC (do not do 3 SC per corner this time) but only in the inside loops of the previous row. When you get to the lower left corner of the cover, youll need to create a small gap (with a break of 2 ch, slip 2 SC) to make the opening for the earphone jack. You can lay the cover over the player to match it up. Make your final stitch a slip stitch and fasten off the yarn.

Lay the back piece and front piece together. Starting 1 SC below the upper left corner, do a row of SC all the way around, through both loops of the SC rows of the back piece and front piece. Leave the top open. Do not do 3 SC per corner here. End in the last SC before the upper left corner with a slip stitch and fasten off yarn. Weave in any loose ends you might have.

Flap

Row 1: Attach the yarn with a slip stitch in row 2 that was just completed, but in the SC above the top right of the screen window (from the last slip stitch made, count over 4 SC and start there). After the 1 slip stitch, do 7 SC.
Row 2: Chain 1 and turn. Do 8 SC across that length (the 8th SC should be done in the slip stitch).
Rows 3-4: Chain 1 and turn. Do 8 SC across that length.
Row 5: Chain 1 and turn. Do 3 SC, skip 2 SC on the previous row, and attach the chain (with a SC) to the 3rd SC after the skipped SC. Continue doing SC to the end of the row.
Rows 6-7: Repeat row 3. At the end of row 7, fasten off yarn.

Fold the flap over the back. Sew the button on the back so that it will go through the chain from row 5 (this is the button hole).

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I think it'll be pretty secure while I'm at the gym. And the best part...I didn't have to buy anything in order to complete this project. I already had everything I needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
How to Cook Tuna Lasagne
How to Prepare Manhattan Brunch
How to Make the Perfect Hot Dogs
How to Make a Cowboy Style Burger
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...