A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Woven Fabric Cat Baskets--Cat Approved!  (Read 39039 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , basket , cat_bed , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fjordtjie
« on: February 09, 2010 03:13:54 PM »

A few weeks ago, Moderncat wrote about this Japanese Cat Bed
http://www.moderncat.net/2010/01/04/neko-chigura-traditional-japanese-cat-bed/
  I was immediately in love, but they didn't ship to the US and I am a broke student, so I decided to make one myself.  I knew I could recreate it, with my own twist.

To make it, I purchased 45 yards of 1/2 inch piping and 4 yards of calico fabric, totaling (with coupons) around $20.  I cut the fabric into 1 inch strips. (I forgot to take a before picture, so here's a pic of the leftovers after the final remake--it was a much bigger pile before!)

I used a coil basket weaving method I learned in art class a lonnnnng time ago.  I must have adjusted the diameter of the base 10 times so it would be the right size!  When I got to the entrance, instead of continuing the coil, I just flipped it back on itself and coiled the other direction, repeating until it was high enough, then just continuing the coil to finish the top.  I ended up with this:

They seemed to like the hole on the top, so I left it unfinished to test it.  It was great, except that I have 2 cats and they both liked to enter from the top (or sometimes they just wanted to pounce on the other one).  The basket couldn't handle it and would cave in, then they'd just sleep on the mushed top, but that could only hold one.  So I filled in the hole on top (sorry, I didn't take any pictures of it!), hoping it would stop the crushing, but they just did it more, as a way to annoy and expel the other cat.  So, I tried reinforcing the sides by weaving in fabric to stabilize the entrance so it wouldn't collapse, but that didn't work either. 

I finally gave up, dismantled it, and made it into 2 individual cat baskets.

This has worked out well, obviously!

The last thing I did was to trim the loose strings with my thread-snipping scissors.  I just finished weaving the second one last night, so I haven't trimmed the threads yet, but on the first, here is a before and after close up.

Before:

After:

I think the trimming really makes it look better, plus I don't have to worry about the cats eating the strings off of it.

If anyone is interested in making one, my cats are both ideal-weight 12 pound males (meaning they are large, but skinny), and their baskets are 14 inches in diameter.  When they sleep curled up on their sides, there is just a little bit of basket bottom visible.  The baskets are 5 inches high, which holds them in when they lay down, but is also just the right height for them to rest their heads on.  If your cat is smaller or larger, or has some girth, you can adjust the proportions accordingly.  I figured out the size for mine by holding the bottom disk to one of my cats who was curled up sleeping.

Let me know what you think!  And if anyone makes one too, I'd love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aisy
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010 03:40:00 PM »

tute please?my cat would love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010 03:41:00 PM »

Love it!! Tute yes please!
BTW....This Rocks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010 03:48:10 PM »

Nice job & from what I can see, you have 2 happy kitties that approve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010 03:51:19 PM »

Oh my god LOVE THIS!!  They are so cute and modern-looking! Your kitties are cute too, I would love to figure out how to make this for my kitties!

Did you weave the fabric strips around that large cord I see in the first pic? I'm definitely gonna check out coil basket tutorials.

You're awesome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
Mokeyh

hmmmm...iiiinteresting

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010 04:18:41 PM »

love love love it  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so many crafts... so little time!!!
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010 05:47:20 PM »

your gray kitty looks like my Yoshimi! So darlin'!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010 06:26:12 PM »

These are nice. If only I knew how to weave...and had a cat  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010 05:57:21 AM »

How cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
MaryQcumberfairy
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010 08:11:38 AM »

My cat would absolutely love this! I think I need to learn basket weaving! Though it would have to be made much bigger, he's kind of a fatty  Tongue  Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010 08:23:10 AM »

The picture of the two cats curled up in their separate bowls makes me go, "Ahhhhhhhhh!" You're a good cat-mommy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beegeek
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010 08:29:13 AM »

My cats are already begging me to make them one!  They really know how to lay on the guilt.  Anyone know where I can find a coil basket weaving tutorial online?   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amazing_784
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010 10:15:55 AM »

HEY!!  I love them!  I wish I still had my cats so I could make some baskets for them.  I had one cat who loved to sit in cardboard boxes, even with the flaps closed.  Now I have a wiggly 6-month old puppy who is probably more interested in chewing the basket up than sleeping in it.  Oh well.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mlheran

Jack of all trades

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010 01:58:25 PM »

That... is SO AWESOME!! It's too bad they wouldn't stop crushing the original, but they look sooo comfy in their individual beds!
This looks like an awesome technique, if you have any resources (or a tute) please share!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest
swaps: -
Rinoa1024
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010 06:41:50 PM »

This is so adorable!  My cat loves to cuddle next to me on my bed so I don't think he needs one.  Tongue

For the people asking for a tute, this tutorial for coiled rag baskets produces baskets similar to the one OP posted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010 07:12:04 AM »

Very nice!  I love the way the fabric looks.  If you ever wanted them to look similar to the original ones, you could try unbleached muslin or canvas, the canvas might make it a bit sturdier for ya.  I do love your style best though!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010 08:24:58 AM »

I did this a while ago...a friend taught be how.  We used a tapestry needle to weave the fabric back into the previous coil every few wraps or so (this looks like maybe every other?) using a figure 8 pattern.  This website has the basic idea that we used:

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Sue-baskets.htm

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010 09:39:59 AM »

Cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftHooligan
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010 11:46:31 AM »

thats amazing! i have a gunina pig and i think he would love one, a bit smaller of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftHooligan
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010 11:58:38 AM »

thats awesome, you didn't use this tute http://www.craftstylish.com/item/33825/how-to-sew-a-fabric-bowl/page/all

but i think that would work to, yours looks harder! i love the end look, it's amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fjordtjie
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010 07:28:45 PM »

THANK YOU all for the positive comments!  I'm in the middle of early midterms (this semester all my professors broke the semesters into thirds) but I will work on a tutorial afterward.  If I forget, please PM and remind me!  My method was a lot like Abbeeroad described, except I didn't use a needl--I used blunt scissors--and the stitches were just the same thing over and over, with some just wrapping around the new piping, and some going through the layer below and the new layer.

Time to go study!  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010 07:59:37 PM »

My gosh that is so cool!! I want to make one for my Grandcat  Grin  

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010 08:00:18 PM by Midnight Sun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010 02:15:25 PM »

Awwwww.  Makes me wish I had cats again so I could make them some!  They look -so- comfortable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kittenpants
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010 03:49:33 PM »

This is fantastic!

I haven't got piping or coiling cord, but I don't think I need it... I have plastic bags galore.  I bet chain-stitching plastic bags a la those crochet grocery bags would give me exactly the sort of stuff that would be great for this project.

Now, to decide what color fabric to use?  THAT'S the hard part.  I kinda love the Japanese rice straw -- it looks like a kitty beehive!  But then I'd be tempted to make giant bumblebee pom-pom toys for the cats to play with...  ::giggle::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not an addict.  I could quit crafting anytime I want.  *twitch*
grammardog
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010 04:15:59 PM »

That is AWESOME!  Great job, and good on you for working it out yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewjayded
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010 05:55:35 PM »

My cat would love that!  Yay you for actually remaking the basket, you know the rest of us would have just said "eh, let 'em sleep on the top." 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010 12:01:40 AM »

Great! Now you have given me another thing for my "to-craft" list! I haven't had a chance to see if you have posted a tutorial yet but I think I could figure it out. I'm sure my kitties will love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010 06:36:17 AM »

Aw!  These are so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chicanapunk84
I like my vodka like I like my men, hard and cheap!

Craft or dye!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010 01:07:27 PM »

Thats almost too cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They'll say just let her crash and burn she'll learn
The attention just encourages her
lady4feet
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010 03:36:28 PM »

This is awesome! I love the fabric choice. Your cats look so comfy!

I would love a tute when you're not busy. Good luck on your midterms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010 07:18:23 PM »

I may have to try my hand at basket weaving!  I think I'll use some old sheets I have here for the fabric.  My 3 cats would love a covered bed. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
sazzra

You have vampire in your cleavage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010 02:52:06 AM »

They are fantastic! My three furries also are begging me to make them one each but tough because they are great fat lumps who would only eat theirs or use them to ambush each other Grin Want to swap a grey and white 26lb-er who's insane for your nice, chilled grey and white one? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No longer swapping, so please ignore any expressions of interest in the Ideas thread

Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me to a piece of cheese!
hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010 10:31:47 PM »

these are so cute!

I know 2 cats whou would love these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trashymeow
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010 12:55:54 AM »

Purrrfect!  I have five cats and on eover 20 pounds, so that would be a lot of basket weaving, but I too would love a tute if you please. They look great and you did an exxcellent job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

2 heads are better than 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010 09:19:11 AM »

Your cat baskets/hut are so cool!!! Smiley Smiley You inspired us to weave a home for our little one (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339560.0). The quick explaination you gave about your weaving technique was very helpful. Thanx!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
chocolatecoveredmoon
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010 06:20:25 AM »

So cute I would try this but my dog would tear it up before my cats notice its their.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibertyImagesJen
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2010 05:14:03 PM »

That is just terrific! Your kitties look very happy (and cute as buttons). Might have to try my hand at this myself...And someday, when feeling VERY ambitious, try making one for our collie...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

great cars ★ great places ★ great beauty
www.libertyimagesphotography.com
Faesissa
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010 09:19:42 AM »

Wow, this is so cute! Your cats, especially the black one, look very cute in the first one. Now to one day make my three cats cat beds to keep them from my boxes of books...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is an artwork without an eraser.
lasingparuparo
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010 01:02:08 AM »

PLEASE? I bought all of the stuff you said you used and looked up a poop-load of basket making tutorials but none of them match yours! (am i just retarded maybe?) Can you please just explain how you wove it together? THANK YOU!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pin your Hair Up
Hair Styling Golden Rules
Hair Tips
Ten Styling Mistakes
Make Stylish Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...