A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,647
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grade One Class Mother's Day gift ideas  (Read 3667 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fizzymelody
Princess Mimi

Competing with the sun for center of the universe

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2005 01:44:18 PM »

Hey guys!
My Mom is a grade one teacher, and she's been having a difficult time trying to come up with something for her kids to make this Mother's Day. Does anyone here ave any suggestions? Anything will help!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011 09:17:11 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's thunder in our hearts, baby
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005 03:59:02 AM »

I received a small hand-painted clay pot filled with hand shaped cut outs (traced from my child) in pastel colors. They were stapled onto drinking straws and stuck in floral foam within the pot.  Each hand had a redeemable coupon; free hug, make my bed, clean up my toys, etc.
I still have it on my nightstand 3 years later.
I think anything with the child's handprint is especially nice (and fairly easy to do in a classroom).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005 12:22:58 PM »

it's strange that I remember this after so many years.. but when I was in kindergarten.. our teacher got some small tupperware dishes and a TON of plaster of paris, and then she helped us all make our handprints in the plaster of paris and we wrote our names in it, and decorated boxes to give them to our moms in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
copodenieve
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005 06:56:42 PM »

Last year in the second grade classroom I worked in we made love bug magnets for Mothers Day. I took pictures on a digital camera of all the students with bug antenna's (those goofy headband things you can buy at stores) and big goofy sunglasses on.  I printed out the pictures so their heads were smaller, and then had the students cut just their head out, we mounted their head picture on a piece of colored construction paper, and then decorated popsicle sticks for their bodies with jewels, beads, paper, etc.  The students bent pipecleaners into wing shapes and I hot glued them onto the back and then attached the magnet.  Add the head on top of the "body" it's a guaranteed laugh when the parents see their little love bug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No life is a waste. The only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone." Mitch Albom
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005 04:41:15 PM »

We made lilies - cut hand shapes out of pastel cardstock and rolled them til the bottom of the hand shape was almost pointed, with a little hole. We taped them that way, and rolled the fingers back around a pencil so they were curly, and stuck a green pipe cleaner in the little hole for a stem. We didn't have terra cotta pots, so we used pretty blue disposable cups and tissue paper. The parents absolutely adored them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amandajones

life means nothing if you're not obsessed

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005 06:55:43 PM »

i teach preschool and last year we got jewellery boxes and the kids painted and decorated them. this year we are making bath bombs for the moms. in the ast we've done candles.
amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We like boys. We like hot boys.
With roaming hands and rushing fingers!
I'm just a be bop baby, and i don't take nothing from no one.
See you later Daddyo's
dragonflysmile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005 07:39:42 PM »

in first grade my brothers class wrote poems about their moms  - like why they love them, what they've taught them, etc... and then the teaching assistants typed them up and the kids decorated them. i think all the moms loved them. his is still hanging on her wall. they dont have to be any good, they're just sweet. i dont know if that would work so well tho...they had been doing stuff with poetry so they sort of knew what it was...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005 02:31:41 AM »

With my boys and my nieces we made marble magnets with their pictures on them. They are giving sets to their grandmas and my sister and sister-in-law for mother's day. They are all in second grade or younger. I printed out small pictures of them on a sheet of paper, and they took the 1/2" hole punch and punched out their faces. Then the older ones put glue on, and the younger ones smashed them down so they stuck.

For Winter holidays the older kids traced their hands on some muslin then they embroidered over it with a simple back stitch. The younger kids drew their hands on the muslin with those fabric paint pens. We then took the squares of muslin and made pot holders out of them. (More home work than you are probably looking for.)

Also, for a friend who was sick in the hospital, I had her daughter lay down on a piece of paper with her arms outstretched. I then traced her hands and arms and conected over where her head and body was. Then we took the long hand-arm piece and cut it out of fleece. It was a scarf for her mom to get a "hug" from her when ever she wanted one, even when her daughter wasn't there. It was very sweet, and there were many tears. She decorated the "scarf" with fake rings and bracelets and painted on finger nails.
I hope I am explaining that clearly because it really was very easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misanthrope
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005 06:00:50 PM »

We always made the shoe polish or tissue paper jars when I was younger as well as the coupon redeem booklets.  Both projects were made from babyfood jars.  The shoepolish ones were covered first with tiny ripped pieces of masking tape and then shoe polished brown or black over the tan.  The tissue paper jars baby food jars on which pieces of tissue paper were set down then painted over with a glue/water material.  After letting them dry, they're numerous colors and with a tealight in the middle they make very cute candle containers. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paige Davis Decorates Napkins With Stenciled Monograms
Pretty Savvy: Stamped/Painted Collar
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...