A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,373
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to price your items **not for a business**  (Read 521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

t1g3rl1ly
« on: April 30, 2005 05:44:44 AM »

Hey everyone -
I'm not running a business or website, but I occasionally knit or sew things for people. I like doing it but...
Is there a general rule on how to price items that you make for people? Do you charge by the hour? Is so, what price? What is the person furnishes all the materials?
I don't want to overcharge people but at the same time I want to make it worth my while. Some of my friends balked when I finally started charging for hemming their pants but I was only charging $5! That's cheaper than most dry cleaners around here. And the thing is, I didn't really care when they balked because it doesn't matter to me whether or not their pants get hemmed, ya know?
People don't seem to realize that when they ask me to do these things, it takes time away from other projects I want/need to do - like hem 2 pairs of my own pants, fix the seams on a couple of shirts, sew 2 purses I have bought fabric for, finishing knitting a pair of socks, finish knitting my brother's afghan that I started FOREVER ago...
Well sorry for rambling, but sometimes it gets annoying when non-crafty people don't appreciate your time and effort. Any magic formulas for determining the price?
Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005 01:31:06 PM by t1g3rl1ly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005 05:57:03 AM »

Well i dont actually have a price scheme as i dont sell anything,

but i think that $5 sounds fair for hemming pants, and if you started doing it for free, then i could imagine alot of people who you may not know that well asking for clothing repairs.

i know that this doesn't really help, but i just thought i'd give you my support!

Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
GhostAcademy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005 09:46:55 AM »

You should be paying yourself an hourly wage.  And since you're a skilled worker, that should be like $8 - $15 an hour (less if you're doing something easy, like something you could be doing while watching tv, more if you're using your talent/creativity/innovation or it's tedious work).
Also, you should be marking up your materials 1.5- 2 times. 

So if you make a skirt with a yard of fabric that cost you $6 and it took you an hour, you should charge at least $17 for it.

That is, unless you want to be doing this stuff just as favors to your friends.  Then you should charge whatever you want.

I've seen other posts on craftster with this subject and I see a lot of people under pricing themselves.  But if you're an adult with bills to pay, you should price your stuff out in a way that's fair to you.  After all, you as your own boss should pay yourself as well as you would expect to get paid if you were crafting for someone else as a full time job, right?

Anyway, good luck with your pricing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
HHH
No, not the wrestler.

Happiness is a warm min pin...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005 11:03:56 AM »

I know how you feel. I do a lot of baking, cake decorating, and cooking and about 2-3 years ago my friends started to take advantage of me and by that I mean some of my friends or not really that close friends started to invite me to parties for people birthdays and would always ask "you don't mind bringing a birthday cake do you?" After one month when I did something crazy like 20 cakes/baking items for people I said enough and started letting it be known that I get paid for this. And when They would ask "you don't mind bringsing a cake, etc do you?" I would say sure I charge $x.xx per serving. Sure I had some people who got upset with me but the way I look at it is it cost me $ and my time away from my things/ family so I deserve to be paid for it.

I calculate my pricing for yummies and crafts about the same. I calculate how much the supplies/ingredients cost me (down to the amount for thread, glue, etc.) then I multiply that amount by 3 and that is how much I charge for that item. Now if it is a particularly intregate or time consuming task I will multiply it by 3.5 or 4. My father does a lot of wood working and he uses this formula for pricing his restoration, building projects too.

After a while you'll get a feel for what you are comfortable charging for each task/item. I keep a handy price list and a what I charged for things in the past list with me and I keep it up to date so I can give them a good estimate right away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for a Miniater Pinscher? Try a rescue pup!
http://www.minpinrescue.org/

My Blog: http://everythingholley.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oscar Mayer Wienermobile Crashes in Pennsylvania
How to Make Crawfish Étouffée
Recipe: Delicious Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
90 Second Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus Recipe
90 Second Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...