A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Childrens hospital toys  (Read 651 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

J-Wes757
« on: February 08, 2010 08:46:49 PM »

This is a rough draft if you will of stuffed animals I am starting to make for a local children's hospital ( CHKD ) the fabric on the top of his head is actually stripes.  I'm making these to be dropped off at CHKD during Christmas time so they have something to make their stay there a little better. 

I am curious to if any one on here knows where to find cheap fabric, buttons ( for eyes ) and stuffing.  Making all these animals will start to get a lil costly and I'm sure everyone here knows money isn't the easiest thing to come by now a days.  Or if any one knows or has a pattern of a toy, stuffed animal etc they would / could share i would deeply appreciate as will the kids I'm making these for.

thanks in advance
-Me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MarySueSeweth
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010 08:51:56 PM »

It's cute, but I have one worry. The hospital I work at doesn't accept donations of stuffed animals because they can carry and spread germs very easily. Have you checked with your local hospital that they will accept these? If not, there's always local police and fire departments, who often collect stuffed animals to give to children who have been in various traumas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
J-Wes757
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010 09:09:16 PM »

Yeah I have sent the hospital a email and waiting for a response.  We have given toys including stuffed animals a few years back so things may have changed.  Didnt think of the PD and FD, so great idea as well.  If it comes down to it we will make them and have a sort of fund raiser where all donations will go to CHKD.  Either way they will be made for the kids, it's the least that can be done for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 10:23:22 PM »

Very cute.

This is going to sound morbid and I certainly mean no disrespect, but definitely check out estate sales. I have found tins and tins of buttons (though I like to horde them because they're often vintage) and often beautiful vintage fabric. A less morbid suggestion is to check out garage sales. I've frequently found new bags of stuffing that had never been open. This always depends on where you live, however.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 10:25:16 PM by cassiege » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
RuneAriala
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010 03:32:30 AM »

Do you have a pound goods thrift store?  Sometimes I find good fabric there.  Or else some older Foam and Fabric type places will do bulk lots of fabric and notions.  Otherwise, I usually stock up on notions and things at Estate sales.  You can usually find tons of vintage treasures for really cheap.  Or, you know, join your local Freecycle chapter, just in case a neighbor happens to have a bunch of fabric and buttons they don't want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat_attack
"We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love." - T. Robbins

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010 04:51:57 AM »

Thrift stores are a great place to get usable fabric, buttons, and stuffing... if you're willing to cut up some stuffed animals and reuse the insides for your toys! Old clothes work great for fabric and buttons too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't mean to seem like I care about material things, like a social status, I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls"
Animal Collective, "My Girls"
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010 05:04:51 AM »

I have bought old stuffed animals and pillows at yard sales for as little as 25 cents and then went home and ripped the stuffing out for my own projects.

Also; yard sales are great sources for old clothes for under a dollar that can be used as fabric for your stuffies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

J-Wes757
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010 11:30:18 AM »

thanks for all the ideas everyone!
i looked for estate sales here in va beach but there isnt any being listed, i've honestly never heard of ne one going to them, guess its just not a popular thing here but i will keep my eyes open.  I will be checkin the local thrift stores this weekend and see if  cant find some buttons and XXL shirts for fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Funky and Retro Updo
How to Create a Formal Updo
How to Create a Triple Braid
How To Make Your Hair Shine for a Big Night Out
How to Highlight Your Own Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...