A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: prom dress help???  (Read 3100 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilMissPink
« on: February 08, 2010 03:02:00 PM »

I want a dress like this: Deep sweetheart neckline, strapless, short. Ignore the fabric, I want mine in a simple nude silk, maybe dupioni (is it hard to work with?). I can't tell where the seams, darts, etc. are in this dress but I would really like mine to have an empire seam.

So, my questions are:

Will I NEED boning for this?
Where should it be placed?
Could I get away without it?

Is this a project suitable for a novice sewer? (Yes I am willing to take the time and patience to make a practice dress)

Also:
Is it difficult to work with dupioni?

Is it reasonable to make the dress in white and buy white satin shoes so that I may dye them together, or will it be unlikely to get them the same color? (I want a gold color.

Thank you very much for reading and I hope you can answer at least a couple of my questions!  Embarrassed

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
marieC
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010 04:29:23 PM »

Argh, yeah, you'd need boning to keep that dress up.  Because of how deep the sweetheart neck is you can't just pull it tight across your bust to keep it up.  It has to be pulled tight across your stomach and have boning to keep it up.

Duponi is not the simplest fabric to work it.  It tends to fray at the edges and can pull out of seams.  So if you were going to make a dress like this tight enough to stand up you'd have to really reinforce your seams to be able to sit down without the dress pulling apart.

Personally, if you're a novice sewer and you want to wear this to a specific event like prom, chances are it'll all end in tears.  It's not an easy design and is something you'd want a pattern and instructions for.  Here's something I dug up that could be somewhat similar: http://www.simplicity.com/p-1591-misses-special-occasion-dresses.aspx.  It's not as deep a plunge, so it doesn't seem to call for boning.  You could deepen the neckline and add a halter neck that starts way off to the sides and then you'd be pretty safe.

Plfpht to dying satin shoes.  A dress like that needs something tall and strappy.  And glittery.

Good luck, but start early so if things change you can find a plan B.  I found my senior prom dress at a nice thrift store, but that was ages ago now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
LilMissPink
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010 07:20:22 PM »

thank you very much marie! your post was extremely helpful. I can do tall strappy shoes, but I'm not a glitter type of girl  Roll Eyes. I'm aiming for a romantic look. (Maybe I should have mentioned it, but gold is actually a shade off from my 'nude'). So I wanted satin shoes as well as dress and dye them to match.

I forgot to add something very vital... I found this pattern and I think its very close to what I want:

(mccalls 5881). I was thinking to use view D, and I would only have to rework the V in the front. and of course I always rework lengths because I am 5 feet  Embarrassed like this:

above all I just really want the neckline. so, is there a nicer alternative to dupioni that is easier to work with? I thought it would be easier to sew than any other type of satin. I don't wear synthetics because they really irritate my skin and make me itch. Huh

I found some great info about working with dupioni http://www.emmaonesock.com/guides/silkdupioni.asp. It suggests "for the strongest construction, underline the garment with silk organza." I would totally do this, either with the organza or simple cotton.

If its really just too out of my league to alter this dress the way I want it, I guess I can be happy with the above pattern view D. I just would have liked the neckline to look like my inspiration dress.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 07:58:39 PM by LilMissPink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 08:52:09 PM »

Is there any way you'd be happy with a low cut neck but not strapless? A halter would keep thing up a lot better and you wouldn't be in as much danger of popping out.

These are quite romantic:
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1030-products-7884.php?page_id=858
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v7521-products-2671.php?page_id=943
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8240-products-5031.php?page_id=859
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010 04:47:38 AM »

Have you ever seen cotton sateen?  It's great to work with, and would give you ten times more structure than dupioni.  It's also a bit more forgiving.  Also, I wouldn't try to get both your dress and shoes dyed at the same time.  Chances are 10 to 1 that they won't be the same fabric content, and they'll come out different colors (heck, my sister's bridesmaid's shoes ended up two different colors, and they were the same style!) and it'll be crazy expensive.  If anything, try to find the dress fabric first, and then get the shoes dyed to match.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
LilMissPink
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010 02:22:24 PM »

thanks! I was thinking to dye them myself but I guess I would be much less effective  Roll Eyes

I thought about cotton sateen for all of 5 minutes, it doesn't seem formal enough to me. I will really have to think about it.

eta: actually, thats a really good idea to keep in mind... I guess its ok to sacrifice some texture/sheen... I could just add a little more to the dress to make it interesting.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010 06:13:42 PM by LilMissPink » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010 08:02:00 PM »

I don't know how formal your prom is.  Mine (almost ten years ago, eek!) ran the gamut, but man style back then was questionable.  The high schools where I am now are pretty evenly split between almost-wedding-dresses and more cocktail attire.  The style that you're shooting for reads as more cocktail to me, and I think sateen would be appropriate, if you get a nice quality one with a decent sheen to it.  Especially if you do it in nude, I'd just make sure to wear nice, sparkly jewelry, and do something very special with your hair.  Neutrals, at least IMHO, have a lot more leeway in terms of fabric, as opposed to jewel tones and pastels, which really need the texture to give them the right gravity.

That said, there've been prom dresses on here made from everything from Skittles wrappers to rayon/viscose jersey.  I honestly believe the trick when making your own dress has way more to do with the cut, fit, and attention to detail, than anything else.  *Also attitude!*

Good luck!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
LilMissPink
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010 08:49:17 AM »

my school actually has a red carpet event for prom.  Grin It took me a lot to not choose a long dress because I love them, but they don't love me too much  Roll Eyes I am very short So I went for short. I did want to have a really nice statement necklace which is why I chose such a bare neckline for the dress. I wanted fabric with some texture and sheen to look more expensive (and less nude  Cheesy) but I guess a dress that is actually wearable is more important  Cheesy I could do some beading on the top piece.

thanks for the help aislynn  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010 07:30:33 PM »

What about: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6029-products-10727.php?page_id=109
The purple one, just don't make the bow.
I would think a long dress would look good on someone short because of the vertical lines and you put the hem in, so you don't have to worry about it being too long.

Personally, I feel like the low neck, bare shoulders, slinky silhouette and a lot of leg is too much going on for one outfit. I feel like it is more classically sexy to just pick 1 or 2 to emphasize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SnazzyS
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011 03:03:44 AM »

I have that pattern you posted. I find it very easy.

I'd use boning to help keep it up. Think about it this way, do you want to keep tugging at it all night? Do you want to risk mishaps?

Dupioni is not always easy to work with because of the fraying, but as far as silks go, it's easier than a silk satin because the finish is fairly forgiving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Use Hairspray Properly
"Bottom-of-the-Jar" Beauty Tips
Must Try Manicure: White Nails
The Secret to Fuller Lips
Concealing Adult Acne
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...