A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cowboy boots and overpriced thrift...  (Read 5644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005 01:39:46 AM »

The only op shop who is still pretty cheap (although not as cheap as 5 years ago) is the teeny Red Cross that no one knows about - they have $3 Fill-a-bag every Saturday...

Good luck on finding your boots! Maybe try TradeMe (although they'd probably be expensive), local garage sales or school fairs/garage sales (they're awesome for getting cheap stuff!)
Heh, another coincidence- I'm doing a project on the red cross at school at the moment...
Anyway- Fill a bag for $3?? JUST $3? EVERY saturday? I'm actually beginning to hyperventilate. I must find a Red Cross. I must I must I must.
Anyone know of the location of any?
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005 01:55:21 AM »

Well you can always come up to Auckland... Wink It's the best shop ever! I've scored some awesome bargains there - 50c Pixies tapes, 50c "save the whales" tee, $5 rainbow rollerskates, $1 belts, $3 christmas tree, 10c Serendipity books... oh the list goes on... Look in the phone book - I've been meaning to see if there's another Red Cross around Auckland so I can check that one out too.

Oh and I just remembered that I overheard one of the ladies saying that they can afford to keep their prices cheap because they don't have to pay rent for the shop - some doctor lets them use it for free, so maybe that's why some op shops are expensive??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Bee_U_Tiffle
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005 04:28:15 AM »

I've never noticed any cowboy boots in Chch but I'll keep an eye out now for you  Grin
I have also noticed the huge variability in pricing and I'm sure rent must play a part in this.  I do not mind paying more for an item but it would have to be a good label and in excellent condition e.g. $6 for a shirt I know cost well over $100 new is fine by me.  I mostly buy kids clothing, there are still some great bargains there but you have to be careful.  I donated some kids clothes to the one in Fendalton and noticed they had priced one childs sundress badly stained with facepaint at $4,  I paid $2 brand new at the Warehouse for it!  Crazy.
I get the best bargains at garage sales and out at the Riccarton market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikkicola
Coley Moley

I'm creative... don't expect me to be tidy too!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005 10:03:54 PM »

ooooh i LOVE the riccarton market! and garage sales... they're how my extreme love of sheep first began *sigh*. and jan_on_ice... $3 for a CHRISTMAS TREE?Huh amazing! the save the whales tee sounds great too!

*cole*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lorraine, my density has popped me to you."
"Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"
jan_on_ice

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005 03:44:25 AM »

$3 for a CHRISTMAS TREE?Huh amazing!

My boyfriend reckoned it was the exact same one he had growing up in the 70's. It pretty much sat in the corner of his lounge, undecorated, moulting plastic bits, and abandoned by Santa for about 3 months before we put it back in the box, but I'm sure it will come in handy next year when we have some babies to give presents to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
nikkicola
Coley Moley

I'm creative... don't expect me to be tidy too!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005 02:10:43 AM »

Heehee...
Hey, I just realised that that Huh wasn't meant to be there. I just used excessive question marks.

*cole*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lorraine, my density has popped me to you."
"Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"
viridis
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005 10:16:02 PM »

This is quite poss. too late, but anyways. Number 1 shoe warehouse had several different styles of cowboy boots when i went in there about 3 weeks ago.  They were all around the $30 mark, which is more pricey than most op shops, but is still heaps cheaper than anywhere else. I want a pair too, but i dont have any money for shoes at the moment Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bird nerd
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005 11:58:27 PM »

Just on a side note, I got cheapish chucks at the shoe warehouse. Damn fine and splendid!

I remember in fourth form, I was helping create costumes for a play and we went to the Sallies. 120 for a suit. And not even a really flash one, I think it was Pelaco and I can get them at work new for about  $150. You can get a whole suit and shirt for $100 new at Hallenstiens.

They were dreaming, those damn sallies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005 12:09:09 AM »

Heh, I recently got emeraldy green (my favourite colour!) chuck-ish thingies from urban Angel for $20. I am so proud of them *glaces down at feet with soft smile...*, I really want those raspberry and bubblegummy pink chucks from shoe warehouse.. So... good...
I was considering shoe warehouse for my cowboy boots, but it's so far away! Curse my Fendalton locale...
Another really expensive opshop is the retro section on the Riccarton one. They have ugly dresses for like $25. Some of their stuff is splendid, like my rouched pale blue tutu-esque skirt ($10, which I considered a bargain).

-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
jan_on_ice

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005 02:33:20 PM »

Fake chucks at the Shoe Warehouse?!? As soon as I pay off my overdraft I'm there!

I went op-shopping the other week and was completely shocked at the price of dresses - $8-$10!! I couldn't believe it! I guess I'll just have to stick to my local Red Cross from now on. Although I did find two awesome Crochet books for $2 each and this amazing brooch for $3... but I would still consider those to be expensive compared with the good old days...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Glowing Ice and Gelatin Refreshments for Halloween
Monster Cupcake
How to Make Low-Cal Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes With Peanut Butter Frosting
How to Make a Blackberry Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...