A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Undeterminable Quilt Top Layout. Please Help!  (Read 3124 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2010 08:41:13 AM »

We've had no school for most of the past week, so I got started on putting together this quilt (the pieces were cut two years agoish).

Unfortunately, when I whipped this pattern of the walmart thing, I didn't notice the lack of a picture and my grandmother didn't ask me if there was one. She just told me I'd be able to do it.

I've taken an hour our two to kind of lay out some different ideas for it.  The block layouts originally put the green triangles in the four-part blocks on the right side, but after a while, I just started messing with it.

Please tell me which one you think is best/how I should change it.

Sorry for making you look at this crazy-busy amalgamation of pattern (and the pictures that my computer managed to screw up when pulling them from my phone).

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 08:50:56 AM by plumbucket » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
SimplySandy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010 04:32:33 PM »

If you take the first picture and turn some of the hour glass blocks so that they all have the pink triangle touching the star, I think it will look like a secondary star.  I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.  Try it and see if you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010 04:45:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure I get it. I thought about that and wondered what to do with the middle hourglass.  I'll post the adjusted pictures up in a bit to show what I interpreted. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

I am really interested in doing a personal swap, especially for greener things like reusable lady items, wool dryer balls, or other such things.  I can knit, sew, draw, and put things together in pretty neat ways.  Please PM me if you're interested.
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 04:53:18 PM »

More options:

I'm thinking also that I do have some hourglass blocks that were pretty bad, so I could take the triangle from that, put it in the middle block, and have a fun centerpiece.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 04:56:12 PM by plumbucket » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010 07:04:12 PM »

I vote the last one.  (The VERY last one, in the second set of pictures.)  It has a nice sense of movement but does not look haphazard.  Nicely done!
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 07:05:10 PM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010 07:09:30 PM »

I vote the last one.  (The VERY last one, in the second set of pictures.)  It has a nice sense of movement but does not look haphazard.  Nicely done!
 Cheesy

Me too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010 03:49:19 AM »

I concur, the last one!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguinade
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010 07:59:43 AM »

I agree, the last one gives the most definite sense of center, and creates a good secondary shape.  I only wish your absolute center block was green/green rather than green/pink, as it would give more symmetry to the whole set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
plumbucket

Guard girl/Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010 01:20:37 PM »

Thanks guys! And penguinade, even though it's not in the little block diagrams, I am changing that block, because the lack of symmetry is driving me up the wall Cheesy

My ballet class has been cancelled, so I must be getting to work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Guardie for life.

YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010 08:42:13 PM »

I agree that the last one is the closest. I would turn a few of the hourglass blocks though so that in each larger square you have a dark triangle next to the star, pink triangles, and light colored triangles. That way you have a more cohesive quilt top. I wish I could explain it better.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 2/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 1/5
How to Make Homemade Jambalaya
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...