A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorate camera?  (Read 926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rubricsuxi
« on: April 30, 2005 01:24:17 AM »

Hiyee...I'm new. This is a great forum and I see lots of really creative and exciting creations and ideas here.

I'm wondering if any of you have decorated your cameras before? I have a few point and shoot cameras as well as 'toy' cameras like the Holga, and would like to make them more unique. I've used Jo Sonjaa's acrylic paint on a few of them, but the paint doesn't go on well. I think it's a great paint compared to other brands I've tried, so I'm probably lacking in the know-how about using acrylic paint. Do I need to use a base paint first?

I've also used some decoupage medium to stick denim and other stuff on my cameras, but now I'm bored. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do next? I'm not good with sewing and just very average with craft work, but I'm tired of those boring black cameras. If you've decorated your camera, can you show me what it looks like? Thank you in advance!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005 02:21:08 AM »

a major *bump* for you.
I just bought a Holga and am wondering the same thing. I'm thinking of trying pink metallic paint on the square part behind the objective, the kind of paint used for model airplanes and such maybe? First I thought about metallic markers and then some gloss coating, but perhaps it would look stripey.

If anyone knows what kind of paint would work on a plastic camera, please respond Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubricsuxi
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005 02:45:30 AM »

Thanks, antigone, for the bump. Cheesy I have four Holgas and Wocas and appreciate being able to differentiate them. I have not tried paints with solvents in them, though I recently bought a can of matte black paint to cut down on reflections within the camera. I also purchased a piece of scrap leather yesterday and am working up guts to cut and stick it onto a Holga.

New question--I've added a layer of matte paper modge podge on my camera body which was painted a dull green, but now I regret the colour. How can I remove both the modge podge and acrylic paint? Alcohol? Nail polish remover seems to dull the surface, so I'm assuming it 'eats' into the plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005 05:29:37 AM »

Do you think paint containing solvents would damage the camera in any way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubricsuxi
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005 11:09:25 PM »

Hi antigone. Come to think of it, I've read people spray painting the exterior of the Holgas before.  And I just checked, the black paint (Design Master flat black) which I bought contains solvents as it says 'extremely flammable'. I've sprayed the interior without problems, so it should be fine for the exterior. The paint dried quite fast, though it leaves a funny sweet smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005 03:35:03 AM »

I'll answer my own questions now Smiley Enamel paint worked fine. It seems quite similar to nail polish (/ enamel!) but took longer to dry and produced a cool raised, shiny surface. However, some of the paint dripped and I cleaned it up with nail polish remover, which worked fine except it started to dissolve the camera plastic as well!! I wiped it off with water fast but the group picture icon was smeared.

I added pink and clear rhinestones to the trigger and the objective, and some silver stickers (one silver line, four corners) which I cut to fit.

Before:

After:

I'm probably going to add black lace instead of the strap it came with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubricsuxi
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005 07:30:28 AM »

Wow. That's so cool! Do you have a larger photo of the after makeover? Smiley I like the idea of using lace as strap.

Cheers,
Ruby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005 12:30:59 PM »

Nope, don't have a bigger pic. Too lazy  Wink Can I see yours now? Anyone else has a funky camera?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubricsuxi
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005 07:49:39 AM »

Here are mine. They don't look as grrl groovy as yours though. Tongue

This one's covered with denim from pants that I've outgrown.

This one has handmade paper with printed flowers on it.

The black stuff by the sides are velcro which I glue onto the denim/paper, followed by non-adhesive velcro strips on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005 09:01:30 AM »

wow, they're gorgeous!! I would never have thought of putting fabric on a camera. They look both elegant and cool. Have you tried using 35mm film?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tikka Masala Cream
How to Make Pooris Doe
Chicken in Tikka Masala Sauce Recipe
How to Make Pooris Bread
Chicken Curry Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...