A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I avoid this? [yarn twisting as you work]  (Read 1576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2010 05:15:55 AM »

I've been fascinated by filet crochet ever since I started crocheting. My mum loved it, and my cousin made a birth cloth for my brother, in filet. I'm slowly getting used to the process, but the yarn just doesn't want to co-operate. In the beginning, everything works out fine. But the more yarn I pull from my ball, the curlier it gets. Until it is all twisted, and I have to unwind (funny faces on the train and all that). Even with the unwinding, it makes my work sometimes ugly, because it's twisted. I'm crocheting something for a swap (can't tell you exactly what) and it keeps happening. It annoyes the hell out of me, to the point where I refuse to continue. I made a picture, to make it clear. I just hope someone knows a little crochet trick...

--> You can see the yarn and the twisted part. This is only the beginning. If I do not unwind at that point, it gets messy.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010 06:02:22 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added descriptive title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
wtpdesigns
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010 05:24:14 AM »

you need a yarn holder... this happens when the ball spins while it unwinds, you can make one with a dowl or a coffee can... use an oldpurse, aslong as the ball can't roll around... this is why in most cases you either make your own ball that rolls and doesn't kink or you take the skein from the middle, but with the filet thread that's not an option
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
gavagai
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010 06:03:14 AM »

This is a problem for me as well when I crochet. Thank you for your answer. Will try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Still wishing for a Tunisian crochet kit. Would be happy to personal swap for one. I have fabrics and all sorts of stuff to swap for.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 06:11:52 AM »

I did not know this either--thanks for asking the question...and I appreciate the answer as well...who knew it was something simple that a newbie would not know... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wtpdesigns
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010 09:00:22 AM »

i actually don't crochet much, i don't really know many stitches, but i do deal with yarns lots and i had a grandma who crocheted everyday of her life and i asked way too many questions, and while i may not have picked the art up, i know loads of tips... i'm just now teaching myself a bit more than basics, i have mastered the granny square!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
sdanorth
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010 03:30:49 PM »

I think it happens to me because I turn the work the same direction over and over and over, thereby twisting the yarn, which makes it kink back on itself like when you make one of those twisted cords. If, at the end of every other round I turn the work the other way, it keeps it even. Bonus combo points for anybody who understood that! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewel ry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
Mocka_moo
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010 06:27:05 AM »

The perfect yarn holders are made out of thinks like Oatmeal containers, Pringle containers, the jars that baby wipes, wet ones, and lysol wipes as long as the plastic lids are intact.

You need to get a container that is a little larger the the size of your sken of yarn.
If there are any pesky plastic tid bits of plastic around the mouth of the containers just cut them out.

Then punch a small hole in the lid that is wide enough to allow your yarn to glide smoothly through it.
And Vola!

Just run your yarn through the hole and place your skeen inside the container, close it up, and get to work!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wowzers...
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Mocka
wtpdesigns
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010 07:18:14 AM »

I think it happens to me because I turn the work the same direction over and over and over, thereby twisting the yarn, which makes it kink back on itself like when you make one of those twisted cords. If, at the end of every other round I turn the work the other way, it keeps it even. Bonus combo points for anybody who understood that! LOL!
yay... what exactly does one do with bonus combo points? lolol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010 07:17:15 AM »

The perfect yarn holders are made out of thinks like Oatmeal containers, Pringle containers, the jars that baby wipes, wet ones, and lysol wipes as long as the plastic lids are intact.

You need to get a container that is a little larger the the size of your sken of yarn.
If there are any pesky plastic tid bits of plastic around the mouth of the containers just cut them out.

Then punch a small hole in the lid that is wide enough to allow your yarn to glide smoothly through it.
And Vola!

Just run your yarn through the hole and place your skeen inside the container, close it up, and get to work!  Grin

thanks!! I will be eating a lot more oatmeal just for the container! I need one to make a holder for my needles but now I need one to keep my thread from twisting...I think I never really thought too much about this with my knitting because I use yarn with a center pull...but the crochet thread drives me crazy!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdanorth
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010 07:42:58 AM »

Bonus combo points are needed for knitting the Gordian Shrug! LOL! If you haven't seen this, check it out on Ravelry! It's utter insanity and the fact that it's on my needles right now is proof that I've gone around the bend.
I use ziplock bags - the heavy duty freezer type - for unruly balls and crochet thread. I punch a hole with a paper puncher down in the corner, and zip the ball inside the bag. The bonus there is that you can see through it, and keep track of any impending knots and snarls that will slow you down.
Another alternative, though pricey, is a microphone stand. The one I've boosted from my husband's collection of audio crap has a heavy metal base, and a post that sticks up from the center that's about 5-6 inches tall. It will accommodate a ball of crochet thread, or a cone of cotton yarn with finesse. It's heavy enough that it doesn't tip, and the ball/cone spins around and unwinds obligingly when I yank on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Shell & Stone Jewelry Fresh From the Beach!
www.northbeachjewel ry.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorthBeachJewelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Clements Talks About Nora Rowley Part 2
Sy Montgomery Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Sanjaya Malakar Sings an Exclusive Song
Richard Snow Reveals His Book a Measureless Peril
Jane Costello Talks About Her Novels
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...