A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Remember Mr. Happy? *now with more Mr. Men!!*  (Read 4374 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crochetchick

www.ZookiesMiscellany.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2010 11:47:40 PM »

So I have a couple of expectant-mother types that are both having boys. I wanted to make them some bibs. I made a few and got tired of the boring pre-printed flannel bibs so I decided to try my hand at designing some custom bibs and doing my first work with applique.

First, I present to you the boring pre-printed flannel bibs.

The story goes that my friend and her hubby were having a difficult time agreeing on names and he kept poo-pooing one name after another that she came up with.  So one day they were driving past a local coffee shop called Cutters Point http://www.cutterspoint.com/and she says to her honey Hey, how about Cutter?  And he ponders and responds, yeah, okay!  True story. So they are naming their child Cutter.  A cutter is a type of sailing vessel and the nursery theme is sailboats. So without further ado, here is the bib:

and again, as modeled by my doorknob:

shall we have a look at the stitching?

Now, I must be getting old because baby names keep getting weirder. My other friend has decided to name her bundle of joy Asher.  It happens to be a Bible name, so I will refrain from disparaging it further. Smiley  I asked her what Asher meant and I was told that it means Happy.  I had a difficult time thinking of what to do with Asher and they are going with a sports theme for the nursery.  I was hit with inspiration and it made me giddy! Mr. Happy!!!

Here is the bib for Baby Asher:

and a slightly closer view:

I love the Mr. Men books and this bib so much that I have been inspired to start working on a Mr. Men quilt.  It will be my first quilt, so it may take some time.  But being introduced to the Mr. Men books was the only good thing for me to come out of 3rd grade!  Wink

and here is the first square of my Mr. Men quilt: Mr. Bump!!!

what do you think?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010 11:01:05 PM by crochetchick - Reason: more pics added » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010 12:04:56 AM »

Okay, the first bib is adorable, but the Mr. Men one totally blew my mind!  I LOVE it!  Makes me really excited to see what you turn out for a Mr. Men quilt.

Also, your writing style made me laugh and I like your whole post in general.  Glad you shared!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
jennilocker
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010 06:41:39 AM »

OMG!  I was just talking about the Mr. Men (forgot that what they were called) the other day!  I was asking my bf about them and he had NO clue what I was talking about.  Soooooo cool that you used them on a bib!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 09:37:51 AM »

So super cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pipkin2020
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010 12:03:14 PM »

Ha ha, yes where have all the "boring" names gone, eh?   Wink

These are great, and your little story made me think: you should so do a Mr Men quilt, and look up all the baby names that have the meanings.  Stay with me here, you found Asher=Happy, but what would Mr Grumpy be called by 21st Century parents?  What is Hebrew for Strong? Or Small, Greedy, Clever? Or Bouncy? LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

http://www.pickymiss.com
crochetchick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010 02:22:08 PM »

I didn't know if I should add Mr. Bump to the original post or in a comment :/

oh well, it's in the original so you don't have to scroll down!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoopyLouise
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010 06:48:40 PM »

the bibs are adorable  Smiley  but, i have to wonder whether the first couple googled  'cutter'...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochetchick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010 11:15:31 PM »

So the love of embroidery and fascination with Mr. Men continues...

I did try to think of other names, as you suggested:
Ha ha, yes where have all the "boring" names gone, eh?   Wink

These are great, and your little story made me think: you should so do a Mr Men quilt, and look up all the baby names that have the meanings.  Stay with me here, you found Asher=Happy, but what would Mr Grumpy be called by 21st Century parents?  What is Hebrew for Strong? Or Small, Greedy, Clever? Or Bouncy? LOL
but after a quick search I decided it would be far too laborious to come up with all those names. However, it was a fabulous idea  Wink

I moved on to some more fun-to-stitch men:
(I will let their satin-stitched names speak for themselves!)

I think Mr. Funny turned out so cute with all the different colors.  I forgot to mention that, besides the satin stitch, I have been using split stitch and stem stitch.  I do believe that I am improving in my satin stitching.  It has been a exercise in satin, that's for sure!

Nothing witty to add, but what do you all think so far of my parade of Mr. Men?  I am thinking I will have a panel at the bottom of Roger Hargreaves' signature, as he had on all the books.  I am so excited I am making progress with my first quilt ever!

Thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sayruh
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010 12:15:16 PM »

Those are so great!  I love Mr.Men/Little Miss.  Brings me back to my childhood.  Thanks for sharing your awesome projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
E.J.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010 01:39:38 PM »

these are beautiful! I love them all Smiley
I laughed out loud when I saw your Mr. Asher bib! What a great idea, don't you love it when inspiration hits like that?  I'll definitely be checking back up on this post to watch your progress, keep up the fantastic work, you'll have a quilt in no time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kate Middleton Credited For Rise in Alexander McQueen Sales
How to Jazz Up a Cardigan with Candy-Colored Gems À La Chanel
H&M Working On A Luxury Line
Kristen Stewart Goes Black, White, and Printed in Paris
Fall-Ready Sheath Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...