A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Snuggles for Shelter Animals + More Pics on Page 2!  (Read 6224 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_blanket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010 08:46:24 AM »

Such a worthy idea and you did some cozy looking blankets. The idea of using the thrift store items is so clever. Rockin'! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowyangel
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010 09:19:53 AM »

I just finished making these large dummy toys for the larger dogs at the shelter from left over fleece and stuffing. The large dogs tend to go through the toys very quickly since they sit there the longest(puppies and small breeds always get adopted quicker) and these hold up real well in the washer. Smiley

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 09:20:45 AM by snowyangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010 09:52:42 AM »

Leftover scraps of fabric can be made into cat toys with feather or ribbon tails and fleece scraps can be braided into dog rope toys too! I work at a Humane Society and we make sure our animals always have a warm blanket and toy.  Don't forget your childrens stuffed animals make great dog toys(not beanies though). Also thrift stores are great options for cheap fabric or blankets that can be cut down to make these individual blankies. Wink
Thanks for your generousity TheMistressT! The shelters need all the help we can give during these tough economic times. We've seen our record breaking intakes of animals these past few months aswell at my work place. Just gotta make them as comfortable as possible.

Oooo!  I actually have several half-made cat toys (from scraps of tiger print flannel) and a bunch of stuffing taken from the too-thick edges of the sleeping bag I made into 4 blankets for big dogs!  Also some sweatshirt fleece that needs using.  Hmmmmmm.

Thanks so much for posting this!! I've been trying to find charities that I can knit for, but didn't think that shelters would accept knitted items, so didn't bother looking in that direction.

I have a *huge* soft spot for shelter animals, especially the older ones who don't always get adopted. If I could, I'd take them all home! (Much to the hubby's chagrin, I'm sure  Undecided)

YEY!  One of the blankets I'm donating is a lovely crocheted lap or crib blanket that somehow made it to the buy-by-the-pound bins at Goodwill.  I didn't alter it, but laundered it with the others and put it in the pile.  Someone furry is going to love and appreciate the hard work that went into it!

This is wonderful! I am both looking for a future with working with animals and a future where I understand my new sewing machine. This is perfect, thanks for posting.

A perfect way to practice!  Animals don't care if you stitch a straight line or not.   Wink

Such a worthy idea and you did some cozy looking blankets. The idea of using the thrift store items is so clever. Rockin'! Smiley

Thanks!  It feels so great to use blankets that are still cozy and warm, but maybe damaged or out-of-style for critters that will appreciate them.

I just finished making these large dummy toys for the larger dogs at the shelter from left over fleece and stuffing. The large dogs tend to go through the toys very quickly since they sit there the longest(puppies and small breeds always get adopted quicker) and these hold up real well in the washer. Smiley

I think I've a next project!  This will be great for using the bits that are too small for blankets, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010 01:18:07 PM »

Finally finished the last four!  These are made from a quartered vintage-ish kids' sleeping bag.

At first I thought I'd buy blanket binding, but when I realized it would be about $7/blanket I decided to figure something else out.  I had a couple yards of black sweatshirt fleece, so I cut strips, wrapped them around the edges and sewed.  Not the neatest finish, but free and will work out just fine.

Final count: 39 (one for each year of my life)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

downtownmonsters
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010 02:12:27 PM »

what a wonderful idea ... im going to have to look into this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.daisybythebay.etsy.com 
vintage finds and one of a kinds
TheMistressT

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010 02:19:07 PM »

what a wonderful idea ... im going to have to look into this

YEY!  In the case of Snuggles for shelter animals, more is more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010 04:16:47 PM »

wow the red ones look realy comfy. u r so good to do this.
the shelter will really love these!
well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010 04:55:57 PM »

wow the red ones look realy comfy. u r so good to do this.
the shelter will really love these!
well done

Don't they?  I bet some big galoot of a dog is going to be so cute laying on them that he or she will get snapped right up!

Thanks everyone for the kind words about me.  It's so nice to hear, but what I really hope is that craftsters will be reminded that a little of their crafting time can go to a good cause and if it's this cause that's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010 05:46:45 PM »

i live in tropical cairns in australia so its not cold but i think a few pet beds would be nice to donate
i will clear my linen cupboaard out and recycle what i have
great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010 06:45:02 PM »

i live in tropical cairns in australia so its not cold but i think a few pet beds would be nice to donate
i will clear my linen cupboaard out and recycle what i have
great idea

No need for warm there!  But soft is nice, still.  When I was deciding which blankets would be which size I would think of those bony dog elbows and how it seems like the bigger the dog, the thicker the the pad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
No-Cook Brownie Recipe with Faith Durand
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
Bread Pudding Recipe with Raisins and Rum Sauce
Bakery Goes Pink For Breast Cancer Awareness
How to Make a Sweet Raspberry Smoothie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...