A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Snuggles for Shelter Animals + More Pics on Page 2!  (Read 6647 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_blanket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2010 01:36:00 PM »

I've made 35 more blankets for shelter animals! I learned about the Snuggle project via this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=212419.10 a couple years ago and just did my second batch of blankets to donate and I'm super excited about it! That stack has 12 small Snuggles, 15 medium Snuggles, and 8 large Snuggles.  I have 4 more large ones cut that I want to make a simple binding for since they're cut from a Goodwill Outlet sleeping bag.  

The economic downturn has lead to an increase in homeless pets. It's been shown that animals on cozy blankets are more likely to be adopted. This means more animals becoming pets in their forever homes AND if more animals are adopted shelters can help more homeless pets!

I used blankets, pillow shams and a wide polar fleece scarf from the Goodwill Outlet (where you buy things by-the-pound) and fabric remnants from my aunt's stash (mostly upholstery-weight wovens, but some cotton prints, too).

For large sized Snuggles, I used  a fleece-y blanket backed with flannel and this woven cotton crib blanket (cut in half) backed with upholstery fabric.

I forced myself to simplify my process so I could work faster and make more.  Any fabric that might fray a bit was cut with pinking shears and then just sewn backsides together instead of sewing them right sides together and turning. The exceptions were the 2 made from the woven cotton crib blanket since it would definitely not hold up to washing; they were sewn right sides together and then turned.  I also just used black thread on all of them to save time and money.

You can learn more about the Snuggles Project here: http://www.snugglesproject.org/
They have a project sheet pdf file here: http://www.snugglesproject.org/docs/SP_projectsheet.pdf

Lots of types of animal shelters are signed up with their program, including specialized animal rescue shelters for ferrets, hedgehogs, etc.  If you don't have a local shelter, you can send your contributions to the organization.  They also accept some supplies donations.  Last time I delivered to my local county shelter, they were glad to have them, but it didn't really matter than I had made them for the Snuggle Project which makes me think that animal shelters are probably glad to receive them even if they're not a part of this particular program.

Lastly, while working on these I posted about it on my Facebook page and at least a couple of my friends showed an interest in helping. If you craft for charitable causes and participate in social networking, post about it to spread the word!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010 07:01:07 AM by TheMistressT » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010 01:48:04 PM »

That is so awesome Smiley I'm definitely going to check those links out
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010 01:51:31 PM »

That is so awesome Smiley I'm definitely going to check those links out

YEY! Go for it!  Not only do I get to feel all warm and fuzzy about helping the fuzzies stay warm, but I get to clear up A BUNCH of space.  I started with 4 GIANT bags for materials and now have just one of materials and 3 of blankets which will not be stored at my house for very long.  Win-win-win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SunflowerSmiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010 01:54:34 PM »

what a great project! one thing that's a plus, encouraging and inspiring would be the fact that they don't have to be perfect and a required and a specific size...looks like they would take any size.  I love animals and it breaks my heart to see so many in shelters and unwanted...thanks for sharing a great way to help the critters that's easy and makes a huge difference.   Smiley  We have several shelters around us and I have "what do I do with this?" stash... Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
TheMistressT

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010 02:12:41 PM »

what a great project! one thing that's a plus, encouraging and inspiring would be the fact that they don't have to be perfect and a required and a specific size...looks like they would take any size.  I love animals and it breaks my heart to see so many in shelters and unwanted...thanks for sharing a great way to help the critters that's easy and makes a huge difference.   Smiley  We have several shelters around us and I have "what do I do with this?" stash... Cool

Exactly!  My basic guideline was at least one fuzzy/cozy side. The pdf there gives some basic suggestions for size and a few requests for safety and cleanliness, but the animals sure don't care if their blanket had square corners or is color coordinated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010 02:28:19 PM »

wow your  are wonderful. i so hope this helps animals be adopted. i got a familydog from a shelter and he was with us for 11yrs the best dog, saved  us from fires and burglars. even the neighbours  rewarded him for warning of a fire behind our houses.
he was a large pup who had been adoped then bought back! cos he ended up pretty big. but he was the most gentle dog with all my kids.  he let them ride him hlike a horsey when they were little.
he also kept out kids from swimming in our pool. which is good as recently 3 kids from the neighbourhood snuck in and nearly drowned on us.
i will keep this in mind. i made my little  dog a big cushy bed from 2 used pillows and recycled 2 baby wraps i had. it worked out really well. i would love to make some for little cats and dogs in  the shelters here.
cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010 02:54:22 PM »

wow your  are wonderful. i so hope this helps animals be adopted. i got a familydog from a shelter and he was with us for 11yrs the best dog, saved  us from fires and burglars. even the neighbours  rewarded him for warning of a fire behind our houses.
he was a large pup who had been adoped then bought back! cos he ended up pretty big. but he was the most gentle dog with all my kids.  he let them ride him hlike a horsey when they were little.
he also kept out kids from swimming in our pool. which is good as recently 3 kids from the neighbourhood snuck in and nearly drowned on us.
i will keep this in mind. i made my little  dog a big cushy bed from 2 used pillows and recycled 2 baby wraps i had. it worked out really well. i would love to make some for little cats and dogs in  the shelters here.
cyndi

What a great story about a great pet!  Most of the blankets I used had flaws like missing binding, some small holes or stains so people weren't interested in buying them for themselves and they ended up being VERY cheap to buy.  Since I was just going to cut them up I could work around the holes and binding and often the stains are only on one side, so I just make that the side that goes against the other fabric. One more life for these things before they're thrown away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snowyangel
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010 10:19:41 PM »

Leftover scraps of fabric can be made into cat toys with feather or ribbon tails and fleece scraps can be braided into dog rope toys too! I work at a Humane Society and we make sure our animals always have a warm blanket and toy.  Don't forget your childrens stuffed animals make great dog toys(not beanies though). Also thrift stores are great options for cheap fabric or blankets that can be cut down to make these individual blankies. Wink
Thanks for your generousity TheMistressT! The shelters need all the help we can give during these tough economic times. We've seen our record breaking intakes of animals these past few months aswell at my work place. Just gotta make them as comfortable as possible.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010 10:22:43 PM by snowyangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
Monna
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010 02:26:23 AM »

Thanks so much for posting this!! I've been trying to find charities that I can knit for, but didn't think that shelters would accept knitted items, so didn't bother looking in that direction.

I have a *huge* soft spot for shelter animals, especially the older ones who don't always get adopted. If I could, I'd take them all home! (Much to the hubby's chagrin, I'm sure  Undecided)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~R.I.P. Ofc Durman~
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010 04:05:32 AM »

This is wonderful! I am both looking for a future with working with animals and a future where I understand my new sewing machine. This is perfect, thanks for posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make-A-Wish: New York Model For A Day
How to Fill in Your Eyebrows to Make a Statement
3 Simple Ways to Spring Clean Your Skin
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
4 Contouring Mistakes to Avoid
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...