A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make this work with MEGABOOBS  (Read 1659 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenporcelaindoll
« on: February 07, 2010 07:36:10 AM »

Hey guys

I've seen a few iterations of this sort of dress about lately...

http://www.boohoo.com/FashionClothing/index.php?id=AZZ89903&code=AZZ89903-105-18&size=10&color=BLACK

and think it is VERY CUTE.  Tried one on at a local high street shop recently and, surprise surprise, my G cups wouldn't even let me get in the thing.  I shudder to think how they would have messed up the cut-out heart if I had got it on.

I'm thinking of making this for myself, or something similar, and am trying to work out the best way to do it.  Do you think it would be a simple matter of making a high-necked pattern to fit my chest and cutting a chunk out of the chest section?  I'm also unsure of what fabrics to use.  Jersey would be comfy, and allow me to avoid zips, but would likely distort around the bust quite horrifically.

Any tips or ideas would really be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
Maa_the_bee
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010 12:07:28 PM »

I'm not really sure, but I think you should stay away from jersey, as it wouldn't be able to keep its heart shape.
Also I think you should either use a kind of strong fabric (denim ?) or lining. If I had to do it I think I'd use the latter (only for the upper section maybe) because then I wouldn't have to hem the cut out shape. But then, I'm not very good at hemming
For the pattern, I'd do quite the same as you suggested.
Hope this was helpful  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010 12:32:35 PM »

You've been very helpful, thank you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
natto
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010 07:18:00 PM »

Jersey would be crazy tricky to get to keep the shape. You'd have to interface it with something super stable. Like canvas. Or steel. Smiley
I've got superboobs too, so I fear the keyhole top, but I agree it's adorable. Maybe you can do it up in a heavier cotton, so it would still be pretty comfy, but keep its shape. You could still use jersey for the band/sash and the skirt.
Oh, I'm already drawing it up in my head! With piping! And interfacing. Lots of interfacing...
Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaiser Scissorhands

Why am I sticky & naked? Did I miss something fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010 11:26:02 PM »

I think you could use a moderate stretch fabric with a very heavy interfacing around the keyhole. I'd also topstitch the life out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Living dangerously.
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010 09:48:50 AM »

Jersey would be crazy tricky to get to keep the shape. You'd have to interface it with something super stable. Like canvas. Or steel. Smiley

LMAO! I vote steel.
I think you'd have to make the bodice out of a more stable fabric, like cotton or denim, etc and interface the heck out of that sucker to make the heart shape stay true. But I think if you get your bodice fitting well and the right bra, it will be gorgeous!

Hmmm....I was also just thinking that if you made just a center panel out of cotton, etc... you could still have the rest of the dress in jersey for comfort and avoidance of zippers while still retaining the look you want.
Oooh, and my pinball mind just suggested a vinyl or leather panel with the heart....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
iheartcheese

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010 06:28:30 PM »

I have had some success making a top with a similar idea.  I used a slightly stretchy cotton/poly blend that was a medium weight.  It was clearancey fabric so I can't be more specific Smiley   I didn't do anything with interfacing or steel, but I did make the front panel a double layer and I made sure that I was fairly generous in measuring so there couldn't be any stretching out of the cut out.  Then I tried and pinned and tried and pinned until it sat right.  It served me well as a fun top with no zippers and it cost about 2 dollars...  Grin

Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may not have gone where I intended, but I have ended up where I needed to be.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
My Little Red Fire Truck Book Trailer
Joseph Maroon Talks About The Longevity Factor
Jim Wallis Talks About Rediscovering Values
Michelle Karen Talks About Astrology for Enlighten
Sarah Wendell Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...