A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fused Striped Fish  (Read 687 times)
Tags for this thread: fused_glass , fish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mike Jordan
« on: February 06, 2010 08:44:14 AM »

This was a segmented fish I did, cutting out the parts from different colored glass. This one was actually more difficult than the others I've posted since the pieces had to go back togther after they were cut out. Nothing shows poor cutting skills like cutting out individual pieces that have to fit back together to form the whole piece.  What I would have liked to do was stick the two main colors on top of each other and cut all the sections out at the same time, but with my ring saw that would have taken forever to cut through. I also thought about using a glass frit paste as a sort of glass polly grip paste inbetween the sections to fill the gaps, but in the end, I went with it the way it was with the idea that I will do better on the next one like this I do.

My Stripped Fish:

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joby560
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010 08:46:14 AM »

Or, you can pretend it is supposed to have gaps between the pieces, or spread them out a fraction of an inch and intentionally leave spaces!

I need one of those saws. 

Nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010 08:53:15 AM »

So cute. I love fused glass. I think it looks great. I like that it's not totally 'perfect'. Not that it's not perfect. I mean....if it all fit together really tight and that it'd look mass produced. But the way it is looks like art. Do you see what I'm saying?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Mike Jordan
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010 03:17:02 PM »

Cheesy So what you are saying, Spicy is that it's perfect in an inperfect way.  Cheesy

Joby, I thought about expanding it out a bit, but decided to just grind it a little bit and go with the way it is. At the time, once I wasn't happy with it, I didn't want to spend all that much more time on it. Although I still keep thinking about how I could have done better. I'm waiting for Bullseye's big sale next week to get more glass so I can do more things with the saw.  I put off getting one for a long time. I was afraid I'd not use it that much and it would sit. In the couple of months I've had it I've used it quit a bit (obviously Cheesy) although I'm finding that there are things I wish it did better.  The dimond blade does a great job cutting in any direction but it doesn't do as fine a cut as I'd like for real intricate areas. I have a wood scroll saw that has a blade that is not much more than hair thin and it can really cut a fine line.  There is a thinner blade you can get for the Tauras 3 and I'll probably get it after I've gotten better using it. It is a lot of fun and I'm trying things now that I couldn't do before because they were too hard to cut out with a glass cutter or nip away with nippers.  What I did before when I needed shapped objects was cut the shape out of fiber paper or fiber board and cast it with frit. That works pretty well also but for many things, the saw is the best choice.

Thanks

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fix a Chipped Pedicure
Candy Paint: Melody Ehsani Opens Nail Bar & Jewelry Store Hybrid
Essential Oils Staging a Beauty Industry Comeback
The Ugly Side Of Beauty School
La La Anthony on Summer Beauty Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...