A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cranes on my Ceiling! (6 pics)  (Read 1343 times)
Tags for this thread: origami , crane  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feets
« on: February 05, 2010 05:38:07 PM »

We are doing some renovations to the main bedroom in our house. While that is going on, I have taken over the second largest bedroom as the master, and my son sleeps in the crazily smaller third bedroom (hooray for lots of bedrooms!).
While spending so much time in what will ultimately be a shared room between my son and the child I'm currently lugging around in my uterus, I have started to get annoyed by all the flaws of the room. Mostly, the problem is, it needs to be personalized. The paint is the same colour it was when we moved in, and there are even patches of sanded drywall goo on the walls... We have the room ready for paint, just haven't gotten around to painting it.

Anyway, one day I just kind of snapped and started a series of projects to slowly turn this room into something awesome.
The first thing I wanted to do was something with the ceiling. There is no light fixture on the ceiling, for whatever reason, and we are not likely to put one up within the next five years. Kind of boring! "I wish I could hang stuff from the ceiling" I mused...

And now I can!

I had my father build me a wooden frame, with beams to hang stuff on. (I think the frame is a 4 foot by 4 foot, but might be a 5 foot by 5 foot square...but I honestly can't remember and am terrible at judging these things by eye.) Then I had my partner hang it from the ceiling. With that accomplished, I just needed something to hang from it!
I wanted to hang birds of some kind, as my son is a little bit bird crazy. "Birdie" is the word he uses when he doesn't know what word to use. It's pretty much always the first thing he says when he wakes up, and often the last thing he says just before drifting off at night. So, for a couple of weeks, during nap time and sometimes late at night, I obsessively made paper cranes.

I used white paper out of the printer, and multi-coloured construction paper. I'm not sure how many I made, but I did learn that construction paper is not as easily folded as thinner paper.
After making a bunch, I used a needle to attach thread to each one. I tied a button to the bottom of each, so the thread wouldn't just pull through. This also added some much needed variety!
After that, I had my partner help me tie them all up on the frame.
For some reason, he wouldn't let me do it myself. Apparently, the thought of a very pregnant lady standing with arms stretched above head while perched on a slightly wobbly bar stool frightens him! *shrug* LOL

Anyway, sorry if that was long winded! Here are the pictures!

Thank you for looking! Questions, comments, and rants about llamas are encouraged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IsisusRiddle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010 05:42:41 PM »

what a neat idea. it looks so cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wists (its crazy!): http://www.wists.com/isisusriddle
Bwa Ha ha ha ha ha!
feets
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010 05:48:28 PM »

what a neat idea. it looks so cool

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chanticocat
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010 06:12:36 PM »

Terrific! I now have another possible idea for our pot rack based on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feets
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010 06:35:03 PM »

Terrific! I now have another possible idea for our pot rack based on this.

Glad I could inspire you! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Linda P
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010 06:53:54 AM »

What a lucky little boy!  How is he liking them?  I love the buttons on the bottom! 
On the  llamas, I have never met one close up, but love the hair in crochet yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feets
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010 09:52:53 AM »

What a lucky little boy!  How is he liking them?  I love the buttons on the bottom! 
On the  llamas, I have never met one close up, but love the hair in crochet yarn...

He loves it! Stares up at the ceiling and says "Wow.... Wow....Wow..." lol
I've met a llama, once. They make the saddest sound, and it kind of does sound like they're saying "lllaaaamaaaa..." in a mournful voice. At least, that one did. It was in a weird little mini zoo/truck stop, and there were "beware" signs everywhere for man eating rabbits. True story. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Retouching
Processing the Raw File
Post Production of a Landscape Photograph
Post Production of a Low Light Photography
Low Light Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...