A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: High School Knitting Club!  (Read 707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2005 02:08:15 PM »

I've been knitting for about 5 months now, and am absolutely in love with it. I recently taught my friend to knit, which gave me an idea: why not start up a club at my high school? (i'm a freshman). Yesterday i met with my guidance counselor, and it's all set for next year! i'll begin the year just teaching the people who don't already know- with help from some staff, knitting students, etc... and once everyone has the basics down, we'll be knitting blankets for the Linus Project (www.ProjectLinus.org). I'm very excited about this! Have any of you done something similar to this before? If you have any suggestions, please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
tuesdaymorning68
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005 08:11:20 PM »

that's so cool! i'm a sophomore and i've also been thinking about starting a knitting club at my high school for next year. maybe now i really will! thanks for the motivation and good luck with your club!

-emmalee-

oh! and for supplies, like yarn and needles, you could ask around your neighborhood - depending on where you live, someone is bound to have some! also, you could write to yarn companies asking for donations and telling them that the blankets you are knitting would be going to charity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"go confidently in the direction of your dreams. live the life you've always imagined." 
henry david thoreau
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005 01:53:47 AM »

not a club but almost all of us having our knitting with us in one of my history classes.  we have a lot of fun sharing project ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
RenaissanceGrrl

the giant pear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005 06:20:57 AM »

When I was in high school (back in the dark ages) we had a little informal knitting club. A bunch of us would sit around in the hallway during free periods and knit or crochet or sew. My suggestion (among the myriad of things we didn't do) would be to find out who's in charge of clubs for your school and make it official. Then you should be entitled to dip into whatever funds are available for club supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ab615
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005 11:51:49 AM »

At my high school(next year for me!), there is a craft club. I'm  not sure what they do (well crafts obviously),like specific crafts and what not. I think I have to join!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005 02:05:06 PM »

My club is definitely official! That's a great idea to request donations from yarn companies, thanks. We're also going to put up signs around town, go to knitting stores, and hold bake sales to raise money. The reason this is so exciting, besides the obvious, is that until about 4 years ago, my school was mainly athletic. then they started adding more art and drama classes, increasing the number of plays and shows, etc... Every year they add even more exciting things, so hopefully this will last, to give the nonathletic kids something fun to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Popup Valentine Card
How to Make Glittering Valentine Buckles
Crafting with Joan Rivers and Martha Stewart
Fringing a Cashmere Blanket
Assemble the Perfect Sewing Kit
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...