A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Work in progress: plastic chocolate & marshmallow fondant : MORE ADDED!  (Read 2369 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: February 05, 2010 08:56:09 AM »

So next week it's the birthday of a goof friend of mine, and since she's recently had quite a bad period another friend launched the idea of organizing a bit of semi-surprise party (she will expect to have a quiet dinner with a couple of friends, it will be a bigger thing). Of course, I got assigned to do the cake, as all my friends love my chocolate cake (grandma's recipe). The thing is, I am bored to death with that cake, because basically I always get asked to do that one and I can never experiment with other things, so I decided that if I can'y modify the base, I'll work on the exterior and have fun with that.
So I did some research on some Italian pastry forums, because I needed to find things I could do with ingredients I could actually find (and sometimes it's not possible with recipes I find here or on some blogs I read, because some things are easily available in the US are unknown here).

So I started with some plastic chocolate, simply made with chocolate, a little water and honey... it turned out much better than I expected
 I had done a little batch with some white chocolate, and I tinted a tiny bit pink and a little portion blue with some random food colouring I had at home (but I've found a store with this kind of supplies in Milan and I want to go there next week for some better stuff), and I made a little cat playing with some yarn (the cake will have a feline theme, so I had to experiment on that subject)...

I am quite satisfied with this, as it's the first time ever that I attempt it and it turned our cute. I have sketched a design for the cake with three little figurines, and I hope they will turn out nice!

I have a tiny bit left and I will later try to form it into something else to decorate a cake I'm baking tomorrow to continue with my experiment... which is, covering the cake with a sheet of marshmallow fondant!

I found one recipe, but I could find only pink&white marshmallows, so the ball that I have resting in my pantry right now is definitely pink (I'll find white ones for the real cake somewhere next week!) and tomorrow I'll try to roll it out and see how it goes covering a cake....

so I'll try to post more pics tomorrow, wish me luck!!!

oh, btw, I also made another little experiment, it's a caramel/cream sauce (like a toffee sauce? we call it another way in Italian, but I googled around and it seems the nearest thing)... and now someone has to hide this little jar from me because it's tooooooo good and it took no time to make!!!!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010 10:07:31 AM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010 09:22:30 AM »

looks really good, and i know what you mean about wanting to try something different
i'm very curious about this plastic chocolate substance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
alhrayth
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010 09:30:40 AM »

Hi! I think plastic chocolate is the right term, I googled it and sound more or less the same to what I've found called "cioccolato plastico" which is the literal translation in Italian, and the ingredients are similar - only we use honey+ water instead of corn syrup.

Basically, it's a chocolate paste that you can roll out or use to make figurines... I used some white chocolate, 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp honey and confectioners' sugar (what was needed for a decent consistency, I didn't measure). Melt the chocolate, add the warm water and honey, stir well, then plop on the table with some sugar, let it cool a little, and work the dough incorporating more sugar... and that's it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010 09:37:24 AM »

that sounds really tastey, i'll have to try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
raennn
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010 10:05:54 AM »

awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is confusing, just when you think it's over it throws you a view like this and you don't know where you are.
- Evy in Driving Lessons
alhrayth
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010 10:07:08 AM »

Here's another step of my experiments. I baked a random cake (a pre-mixed thing because I just wanted a base to experiment on. For the birthday cake I'll be baking my chocolate one) and covered it with the marshmallow fondant, which I had tinted light purple. I was not in the mood for more sculpting experiments, so I decorated it with a bunch of heart cutouts (the purple/blue-ish ones are marshmallow fondant, the white-ish ones are the white chocolate paste).

to smooth the cake base and to make it grip the fondant more I had used some buttercream frosting, which you can sort of see....

I found that the chocolate stuff is not that easy to work with for my warm hands (it starts melting too easily for me to work very easily... I'm not very experienced so my "sculpting" requires quite  a bit of retouching and that's a problem!
So I searched for other options, and I found a reciped for a sugar based paste (there's confectioners' sugar, water, gelatin and honey) which I decided to try out, and I made another little cat experiment:

this one lacks some details but I didn't attempt any painting, I'm on a mission to find some edible ink pens tomorrow in a pastry decorating shop...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rajawa

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin ~WS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010 03:07:43 PM »

Food that looks that good almost seems bad to eat.

Goodness, now I'm hungry (the chocolate effect)  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010 06:39:41 AM »

very cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
zombiecakeses
Slowly going insane, one experiment at a time!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010 03:57:26 PM »

The plastic chocolate looks so good! And the marshmallow fondant cake is just lovely! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010 01:54:02 PM »

Thank you so much for posting your WIP.  I needed two little cats for my grandsons 1\2 year celebration and your cats gave me inspiration.  I only made one in the end because DH said that it didn't look like a cat.  Yea, thanks, then when we transported the cake he "accidently" touched the cat and it fell apart.  One arm is still under the car seat.
Thank you again for sharing your work. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010 07:37:19 PM »

Your cats are looking really cute. I've been wanting to try this myself, good to see someone else trying it!  I wouldn't mind the recipe for the sugar paste if you have it. Yours looks so good I may have to break down and give it a try.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alhrayth
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010 01:48:23 AM »

Your cats are looking really cute. I've been wanting to try this myself, good to see someone else trying it!  I wouldn't mind the recipe for the sugar paste if you have it. Yours looks so good I may have to break down and give it a try.  Looking forward to seeing your finished product!

Hi! I actually did post the finished cake a while ago (the party I brought it to was on Valentine's day), you can find it here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=338238.0

then a few weeks ago I made another one, quite simple, with two figurines:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=339305.0

The paste recipe is very simple (I have it in metric measurements only, sorry!)
30ml water
5g gelatin (we have it sold in some weird transparent sheets like this picture:http://www.buttalapasta.it/img/carne-gelatina-13.jpg)
50 gr honey
450 gr confectioners' /powdered sugar

To make it I put the bits of gelating to soften in the water for a few minutes in a small pot, then I put it on the stovetop to warm up and melt better, adding the honey. It doesn't have to boil, just to warm up and melt together well.
Then I'll put most of the sugar on my tabletop, in a little mound with a hole in the middle where I'll pour the honey/water/gelatin mixture.... and work it all together in a ball. A bit trick at first because it'll try to run around everywhere, but with a bit of patience the result is a soft ball of dough, with a faint honey aroma.
You need to let it cool down well, or it will be too soft to wortk with (and I don't want to add too much sugar or the end result will be brittle and cracky), I found it even bette rif it had been prepared at least one day in advance.
it can be stored for a while NOT in the fridge, rolled up tightly in clingfilm.

I hope you'll post your experiments too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010 08:16:49 AM »

Thanks for the recipe, your finished cakes are too cute!  I'm definitely going to have to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cranberry and Herb Turkey Burger Recipe
Express Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya Recipe
California Hamburger Recipe
Inside Out Cheeseburger Recipe
Mac and Cheese with Peas and Bacon Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...