A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wig for Dog?  (Read 1229 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aurinko
« on: February 04, 2010 06:43:17 PM »

My family has a dog that was badly burned 4 years ago, he recovered just fine and is really no worse for the wear, except the hair where he was burned never really grew back. (Our hot water tank had "broken" and we were moving boiling water from the kitchen to the bathroom, he decided to appear out of nowhere and my mom tripped on him. The three of us all got burned but the pooch definitely absorbed the majority of the spill. Turns out the first plumber that came to our house to look at the water tank turned it completely down instead of turning up the temperature.... Roll Eyes). There are some areas where there is definite improvement, such as small, thin tufts and patches of hair.

Anyway, I was hoping to find a creatve way to cover his bald patch, as he tends to lick it and get wierd questions about it and is moving in with me now. I am hoping to shy away from a shirt/coat fix because he is long haired and it is on his back close to his tail. The bald patch is about the size of a medium dinner plate. I was thinking of making a back wig (lol) that I could clip onto his fur, using the hair clips that look almost like combs...almost a clip/pick hybrid? The other idea I had was to make the patch just look like a patch from a patchwork quilt. Is that too dorky?

Any ideas, however small or seemingly odd would be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010 11:03:39 AM »

don't you think it would be better to put something nasty tasting on the dogs bald spot to stop him from licking it or see a vet about treatment, and to explain to people about what happened to your dog than attach a "wig" to the dog's back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010 08:23:26 PM »

I've seenknitted  hats that look like mohawks or devil's horns. Maybe you could make a coat  with a similar theme or you could make a saddle looking thing or maybe the coat could look more like a costume such as a dinasaur's pointy back. I'm not sure any of these ideas are going to keep the pooch from chewing the area though.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010 06:00:43 AM »

Ive been thinking on this and Im thinking that a shirt would probably be the easiest way to cover up the bald spot.  As Im thinking if the dog keeps licking the bald spot he might try to rip off anything you clip to the bald spot as well.  I know you said he was really furry but you could make a t-shirt out of really thin cotton. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
aurinko
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010 08:51:19 PM »

We took him to the vet pretty much immediately after it happened and since then (it happened a few years ago) and since it is scar tissue, he can't really grow hair anymore except in certain spots where the scarring is not so bad. We did try different creams/lotions as well as anything to discourage the licking but to no real avail...maybe the bright side is that he doesn't lick his butt like other dogs  ;DFor now, we are just letting it go, Scooby wasn't too happy about wearing shirts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Designer Launches Rooster Shoes
Let Olivia Palermo, Jessica Alba, and More Be Your Guide to Getaway Style
Who Rocked The Zuhair Murad Frock: Padma Lakshmi Vs. Alessandra Ambrosio?
Must See Winter Fashion Trends
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...