A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,882
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help planning a kids V-day party :)  (Read 854 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sminto
« on: February 04, 2010 06:19:26 PM »

I work with elementary kiddos in an after school program. We are going to have a party, and I need yalls help Smiley

This is what I've got so far. Next week, we'll make our "boxes" for the v-day cards by cutting one paper plate in half, and then stapling it to another paper plate ("right" sides together). Of course they'll be decorated Smiley

I plan on baking cupcakes, but that's not the problem. The problem is their goody bags!!

Besides purchasing pencils, erasers, etc., I'd like to make them goodies. Now, I only have 12 kids, so it won't be a problem. I'd like to make fortune cookies out of felt (maybe even personalize them). I thought of making lollipops (either cookie or chocolate?)...

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010 09:25:44 AM »

Sounds like fun! I remember the little parties we had! We usually made our boxes out of old shoe boxes.

Maybe you could do the lollipops in a heart shape. Also here is something really cute.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/conversation-heart-fudge-683686/

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/be-my-valentine-pencil-toppers-666415/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010 09:30:32 AM by Crying Goddess » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
laceylovespink
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010 06:40:38 PM »

I'm in the same boat...I'm in charge of the craft that the kids will make for the school party. I really feel like I've looked everywhere! One idea I'm tossing around is to make some simple heart pillows and having the kids decorate each one. I'm thinking this might be messy though and i can't use paint or anything...Another idea I'm thinking of doing is to have the kids decorate and make a valentines card for their moms (or whomever they want). I'd really love to think of something darling and a keepsake that they can make and we can wrap and send home with them...but I don't know....Martha has some good ideas on her site but they are all pretty detailed. She does have a bracelet that would be cute to make and give but I'm not sure my first graders could do all those knots.

anyway I know I didn't help much...have you decided what you're doing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sminto
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010 09:18:02 AM »

I'm in the same boat...I'm in charge of the craft that the kids will make for the school party. I really feel like I've looked everywhere! One idea I'm tossing around is to make some simple heart pillows and having the kids decorate each one. I'm thinking this might be messy though and i can't use paint or anything...Another idea I'm thinking of doing is to have the kids decorate and make a valentines card for their moms (or whomever they want). I'd really love to think of something darling and a keepsake that they can make and we can wrap and send home with them...but I don't know....Martha has some good ideas on her site but they are all pretty detailed. She does have a bracelet that would be cute to make and give but I'm not sure my first graders could do all those knots.

anyway I know I didn't help much...have you decided what you're doing?

Well, I bought some yard and beads and they've been making bracelets and necklaces. Some made some for their mothers. That can be a pain too though, sooo many beads fell off the table! Gah!! Some made their own V-day cards with just construction paper. I also bought paper bags (I'll let them pick between that or using paper plates) for their V-day card box/holder and decorate it. I like giving em choices.

I also thought of some games. Kaboose has some good ones. Let me know if you wanna know specifically what am going to play.

As far as goody bags, still not sure. I'll buy pencils and inexpensive things from the dollar store. I may make those pencil toppers that Crying Goddess posted. I plan on going out and about, looking for supplies and inspiration. I'll let you know if I figure something else out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
deliberatemess
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010 11:08:56 PM »

I've done class parties for many many years with my kids. Always a ton of fun. Even the projects that didn't work the way I intended, were still fun and just part of the learning process.

One year I brought in a bare branch (found in the yard after a heavy windstorm) that I cleaned up a bit and cemented into a big pot. I covered the cement with moss and smooth stones to cover the cement. We decorated felt hearts with glitter, sequins, and beads, and hung them to the bare branch tree with ribbon. The teacher loved it so much it stayed up in her classroom for the rest of the year, and now keeps it as a "4 seasons tree". Her students do leaves for fall, paper snowflakes for winter, and the hearts at Valentine's for the rest of the year. Fun!

Decorating heart-shaped cookies is always a hit, too. As is making heart-shaped mini pizza's, and iron-on Valentine-themed t-shirts (using those iron-on t-shirt transfers). One year we did shrinky-dink necklaces, too, which is really popular.

Good luck with your party! I'm sure it will be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deliberatemess
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010 11:13:12 PM »

As far as goody bags, still not sure. I'll buy pencils and inexpensive things from the dollar store. I may make those pencil toppers that Crying Goddess posted. I plan on going out and about, looking for supplies and inspiration. I'll let you know if I figure something else out.

Check out party stores, too... like Party City? Might give you some ideas.

Origami hearts are easy and fun gifts, too. You can also break-up crayons and pour them into those heart-shaped silicone molds and melt them down to make heart-shaped crayons. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laceylovespink
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010 04:36:04 PM »

ok, here's what hit me in the middle of the night:

I'm going to get some sculpy clay stuff (the kind that air dries that you don't have to bake) and make little red circles about the size of a quarter but a little thicker. I'm then going to put two small holes in the top (probably with a chopstick or similar size object) Then I will put the sculpy circles in a ziplock.

In class I'll have each of the kids put their thumbprint sideways and then sideways the other way into the clay medalion, this will make the shape of a heart in their kids thumbprint. Then each kid will have a piece of ribbon to lace through the medallion. I'm planning on punching to holes in a construction paper card so it can display their beautiful piece of art and it can serve as the valentines day card as well. Anyway...that is my perfect plan, I'll post pictures if it works Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Guide: Tartan Trousers
DIY: Two-Tone Oxfords in One Step!
The Hottest Show Trends From New York Fashion Week
Fashion Week Detail Camera: Winter Wear - Fall 2014
Tips for Shopping at Forever 21
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...