A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scallopped Lace Prayer Shawl-WIP-Pattern And Pics Posted  (Read 5171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2010 01:17:29 PM »

New version posted in Knitting board!

This truly deserves the term"Prayer Shawl". Why? Because , as reppititious as it is, If you aren't concentrating , or someone's talking; you will be making a million mistakes! I'm not trying to scare anyone... Because the pattern is real easy once you get it down. The real trick is keeping your count.
I started this 3 days ago, and have just passed the halfway point. It really works up fast.

Here's the info: The second post will have close-up pics of the pattern details, and extra tips.

My Shawl Measures: 21" wide, and about 6 feet in length. I will give info later in next post to change width, or yarn and needle size. First, I will type instructions as I did mine.

The Stitch Guage:
Size 10 Needles-This is what I'm using
4 Stitches =1-1/8"
12 Rows =2.5"
Pattern Repeats are 2.75"wide

Size 8 Needles:
12 stitches =2.5"
12 Rows = 2"
The work will be easier, but thicker and will not have the same draping quality as the size 10 needles.

You need:
Size 10 Circular needles (Knit back and forth)
18 oz. "Caron Simply Soft" -White (Or your Choice) I DO NOT RECCOMMEND VARIEGATED YARN FOR THIS, BUT A FLECKED YARN, OR ONE WITH A SHINY FIBER THROUGHOUT WOULD BE NICE.
         A Mohair yarn would be nice also. Try to avoid Red Heart, or anything stiff. This shawl has a soft drape to it, and would be ruined with thick yarns. You can drop your needle size if you wish, or yarn size, but do a test strip to determine your width.
Patience And Quiet!!

BEGIN HERE ( Please refer to next post for other widths)
Cast On 81 Stitches Loosely ... This gives you 5 sets of scallops. It counts as 6 multiples of 12 stitches.
You will need stitch markers to mark your 12 stitch repeats. Keep them in place at all times. You will need to refer to them continuously.
Pattern Stitch: Multiples of 12plus1; +8   (the "plus 8"makes a  border of 4 sts. on each side)
Here is the pattern repeat:
K2 rows, Then start row counts:
Rows 1-4:K4 Rows  (This Creates Your Scallops)
Rows 5,7,9,11 (Right Side)
K5.*K2 Tog,(YO,K1-3 times),YO.SL1,K1,PSSO,K1. Repeat pattern from *across, K last 4 stitches.
Rows 6,8,10 and 12:K4, Purl to last 4 Stitches, K4
Repeat rows 1-12 until piece is desired length.
End by working row 12.
Knit 6 more rows.
Bind off all stitches Loosely in Knit. Weave in all ends.

I am now reserving the next post for details.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010 09:57:49 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010 01:18:33 PM »

Here are detailed Close-ups and tips for working this pattern:
  *** You MUST USE Stitch Markers. place them like this:(It is best to place them while working a right -side row of your garter-stitch border.)
  *On Right Side Of Work.. K5, place marker, K12, Place marker,continue marking off sets of 12 stitches,place marker .
  *There will 4 stitches left on end of work after last marker.
NOTICE THIS:
  * On the right side of work, the first marked off border section counts of 5 stitches.  It may seem confusing at first, but remember this:
  *The pattern has 1 stitch on the first edge; inside the border, to define the pattern. The repeats are multiples of 12+1. That "Plus 1" is that 5th. stitch. Do not get confused and accidentally Knit this stitch when you come to the marker at the end of your Purl rows.
  *The purl rows will end like this: K4, purl across, P1 stitch after marker, K the last 4 stitches. You need the marker where it is to keep your count of 12 accurate in-between repeat sets.

I first made several test samples to practice the pattern.
  *The first sample consists of 21 stitches, and will create 1 reppittition, plus border. You can do this practice in a size 8 needle, as it is easier in a smaller needle to see how the stitches are forming.  Notice how this formed a split scallop. You can now see why you need an even number of sets to create an odd number of scallops.
  *After you are comfortable, then make another practice piece with the size 10 needle, and using 4 reppittitions.
  ***This will create 3 scallops. Consisting of 57 stitches.
If you choose, you can use this count to make a regular sized scarf, that will measure about
14 inches.
  *** If you wish a narrower scarf, Using two reps, will give you one scallop, and measure about 8 inches. This will require 33 stitches.

***You may choose to work with a smaller needle, but the scarf will not be as soft. Unless, you reduce your yarn size as well. In that case, you will have to do your own guage calculations, to determine the size you want.

***Here are my test samples and detailed close-ups:
I did 2  test samples. They demonstrate, by the Off-Placement of scallops, why you need an EVEN number of reps to create an ODD number of complete scallops. Notice how the repeat begins in the CENTER POINT of a scallop. This first test consists of one repeat, and required 21 stitches. That created a border of 4 sts. each side.

If you look closely, you will see a mistake I made. In the center, of the first sets, is a large hole. Look up to the next 2 sets, you will see the difference.
* There should be a solid line of stitches going up the center. The mistake is just above the peak formed from the garland of garter stitches.

Next, the first pic shows edge detail, and the second shows a close-up of the pattern.
This is correctly done:

And here is the final close-up: Do you see the big hole in the point of the scallop, on the lower section? This was a mistake. It  will be avoided if you keep count.

Here are a few more tips on this pattern:
1)On Purl rows, it is easy to drop stitches. The YO's can slip off the needle and are sometimes twisted. Smooth out the stitches, and count to 12 as you work each section.
 If you lost a stitch, look at other sections to find your mistake. You may be able to find the stitch by turning the work over. By looking at the right side, and checking the previous row, you will learn to correct these mistakes. Compare to the set next to the one you are troubled with.
This was hard at first, but eventually the pattern became easier to spot my mistakes.
I was able to memorize the pattern after a couple hours.
2)On Knitted pattern rows, I have found this: I can loose track by the center of the rep. After you do the k2 tog. twice, count like this:
Yarn Over, Knit, Yarn Over, Knit Yarn over, Knit. Yarn Over.   Slip,knit pass, slip, knit, pass, knit.    Repeat from beginning of next set.
***GO Back and count each set to make sure there are always 12 stitches on the needle , every end of every section.

And that, my friends, is why this is a "Prayer Shawl!"
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010 12:38:25 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010 10:26:31 PM »

My Shawl is finished! Sorry, I must have scared everyone telling you how hard it was to keep track of your stitches. But, as it went, it got easier to catch and fix. I ended up with only 2 mistakes that were left in!
Ok, so nobody's in a big hurry to try this... That's OK! At least I got it done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010 09:56:54 AM »

I just posted a new version of this shawl, in a different yarn. please see the regular knitting board!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Princess Costume
How to Make a Spooky Halloween Yard Sign
How to Make a Pilgrim Costume
How to Do Vampire Lips With Makeup
How to Do Vampire Eyes With Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...