A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spring In Winter hat/scarf  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebluepixie
duck duck duck GOOSE

http://thebluepixieknits.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2010 07:47:04 AM »

I've recently been teaching myself to crochet using the stitch 'n' bitch crochet book ("Happy Hooker" Stoller, D). Used up a couple of balls of really cheap acrylic practicing the various stitches/techniques and I've really come to love it, even though as a knitter it feels all wrong to be dropping stitches all over the place! The huge advantage of crochet is that I can do it on the train without poking the person next to me with knitting needles. the book is really excellent, I picked up the basic idea immediately and there is a nice balance in the book between suggested projects and information/stitch patterns - the history of crochet at the start is a nice touch. Unlike when I learnt to knit the instructions in the book are really clear AND well illustrated, with knitting I couldn't even work out how to cast on from a book.

I decided to try one of the projects in Stoller's book and thought it would be a good opportunity to use up some stashed yarn. I chose in the end a lovely open-grid hat (in pic) and scarf. The pattern is called Spring in Winter and had contrasting trims on both hat and scarf with the scarf being inverse colours to the hat but I decided on a plainer version. There were instructions for a crochet flower to pin or stitch on which I left out.  I also made the scarf wider and longer than the pattern suggested; skinny scarfs are not my dish.

The hat in particular is great because the openness means your head doesn't get too hot when walking about. On the other hand the book suggests wearing them in spring yet it kept me perfectly warm in sub-zero Febuary. Guess it wouldn't be so good if you were standing around though. All turned out good for a first project Wink
Hat:

Scarf:
Super cosy and super long: it finished up at 2 metres 30. (soo much longer than I am tall!)

Stitch:

I've definately got the crochet bug now and I should be putting up more projects on here/on my blog. I'm plotting a crocheted toad stool as we speak...
x

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarmstrongs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010 10:46:36 AM »

love the hat any chance you can post pattern, my daughter loves it and scalf. i have just started to get into crochet and mainly granny squares , have made scalf etc but never a hat,
well done 
hope you are able to share pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010 11:09:47 AM »

I'm not a very good crocheter, but this pattern would be perfect for my be-frie who is always too hot with a  regular hat, but too cold with nothing. I may give it a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
thebluepixie
duck duck duck GOOSE

http://thebluepixieknits.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010 09:03:28 AM »

Hey, thanks. The hat was a doddle, I'm sure you'd be fine! I can't really post the pattern, it's not mine/copyrighted but you can pick up the Happy Hooker book it's from pretty cheap secondhand, I actually loaned it from the library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Gold Eye Makeup for the Holidays
Pro Tips from a Celebrity Manicurist: DIY Nail Art
Natural Makeup Tutorial
Melissa Gains Back Her Confidence
Andrew Gn Spring/Summer 2015 Paris Fashion Week
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...