A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mary Ella from Winter Knitty  (Read 5692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

box of purls
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005 05:31:32 PM »

but my beads keep on getting all jumbled around in the stitches

Mine's doing that too.  I forget the bead size, but I'm using the thread called for...I'm ready to give up...I'm horrible at doing k2tog and it's worse with tiny needles. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gji7
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005 06:55:15 AM »

Could you post a picture of what is happening - I don't remember anything like that but it could just be my memory...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth. - Evan Esar

Prove to yourself that you can do it. Prove that you were always who you thought you were, not who they said you had to be. - Rachel Snyder
Ravishing Jane
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005 02:55:09 PM »

I think I figured out my problem.  I got really mad and ripped it all out and started again with some really tight knitting.  with the tight knitting my beads still have some that go on the back and some that go on the front.  It's every other row that goes on the front, so once I got far enough along I noticed that they (the every other row of beads *ones on front*) sit right next too eachother like they do in the photo.  So I'm just going with it.
I hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem.

Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to know about handmade, and not to support handmade, is not to know.
http://www.ravishingjane.com
sararosa
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005 06:39:33 AM »

Yay, I finished my first MaryElla! There will be more to come, because this was so fun and easy, and there are so many color possibilities. It will be great for gifts.

More on my blog: http://buonasara.blogspot.com/2005/07/livings-easy.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebel
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005 02:09:27 PM »

[/quote]

The easiest way to get the beads on the pearl cotton is to use a beading needle and simple string them.  If you have already strung them on thread, you can simply hold the thread taught and run the beading needle up the beads on the thread and transfer them over.  The directions say to tie the thread and the cotton together and transfer them, but I didn't have big enough bead holes to get them over the knot.  If your bead holes are big enough, that would be a simple method! Wink
[/quote]

Actually, I tie half the knot instead of a full knot and slide the beads from the hank to the pearl cotton. I've done alot of bead knitting and that's a good way to do it too.

I've made a Mary Ella as well. I need to get a picture of it. I think it's great that you started this thread. I think on my next one that I'm not going to have the holes down the middle because I'm not going to put a ribbon in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2005 05:35:03 PM »

I think I figured out my problem.  I got really mad and ripped it all out and started again with some really tight knitting.  with the tight knitting my beads still have some that go on the back and some that go on the front.  It's every other row that goes on the front, so once I got far enough along I noticed that they (the every other row of beads *ones on front*) sit right next too eachother like they do in the photo.  So I'm just going with it.
I hope this helps anyone who is having the same problem.

Jane

I just checked out Knitting With Beads by Jane Davis from the library, and she mentions this exactly! She said that those gorgeous beaded knitted bags from the victorian era are actually beaded on both sides- it's just how... stockinette? makes them distribute. There are stitch patterns that keep them on one side. I'll have to check when I get home and let you know exactly what it says!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Full Messy Bun
Coco Rocha Cuts Off All Her Hair
Braided Undercut
Segmented Ponytail
Long and Woven Braid Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...