A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
796 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swirly Dance Skirt  (Read 2914 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

professionalpineapple
« on: February 04, 2010 12:00:02 AM »

I have had this fabric for absolutely forever (at least a year, anyway. It was on super clearance at fabric.com, and I snatched up without thinking about what on earth you do with teal paisley scarves), and since I needed some instant gratification, I whipped up a skirt to wear to dance class tonight. It started as a ~72" square panel, so all I had to do was hem it (not so gratifying when you're working with slippery satin) and add an easy elastic waistband. It was awesome, and I'm mad at myself for being scared of working with the fabric until now. I even got a compliment on it while I was dancing! (Of course, compliments from men really mean "Nice legs", but I'll pretend that he was really complimenting my sewing skills.  Cheesy)

Since I am quickly running out of clothes that my dance class hasn't seen yet, I'm probably going to have to whip up a few more of these, along with some dresses that I've been wanting to put together for a while. More excuses to sew! Cheesy

This is a better picture of the length, so you can see how it sits on me. It's mid-thigh at the shortest, and almost-ankle at the longest. I'm pretty tall, so it probably wouldn't be so scandalous on a normal sized person, although it would be ridiculously long.

And because no skirt post is acceptable without a spinny picture, here's a really terrible one. It's very pretty while it spins, though, and the long points keep the short parts from flying up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
kitasews
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010 05:03:06 AM »

This is awesome, I am looking to make some garments for my youth dance ministry at church. I would like to do something like this and add straps to make it a convertible/infinity dress. Is it possible to give a quick tute? I think my main concern is that it is long enough to remain modest. My girls range in age from 7 to 12. I was thinking a yard for the younger girls and 2 yards for the older girls would be enough, what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sejimara
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010 05:17:25 AM »

Very nice, and I love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010 06:55:20 AM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 07:08:25 AM »

wow its amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
professionalpineapple
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010 09:10:31 AM »

This is awesome, I am looking to make some garments for my youth dance ministry at church. I would like to do something like this and add straps to make it a convertible/infinity dress. Is it possible to give a quick tute? I think my main concern is that it is long enough to remain modest. My girls range in age from 7 to 12. I was thinking a yard for the younger girls and 2 yards for the older girls would be enough, what do you think?
Definitely! The skirt is exactly like an infinity skirt, except that you don't cut it into a circle, you just leave it as a square. It's the same as the "Pixie Skirt" on WhatTheCraft.

Keeping it long enough would be tricky, because, due to the geometry of the skirt, the long sides are about 1.5x the short sides. If you wanted it to be longer in the middle but still pointy, you could either make a weird pointy circle or you could use two skirt layers, make one a knee-length circle skirt, and the other a square pointy skirt. I would definitley do the layers, because it'll stay down better, and also give them more swish, *and* you get to use two different colors. Cheesy

I have no ideas on the fabric requirements, since I'm really bad at estimating for circle skirts. Probably more than a yard, though, even for a little girl. The square skirt doesn't take up a lot of room, but for the circle, (assuming the girl has a 25" waist and needs a 15" skirt -- I'm totally guessing on these) you'd need a 38" square, which is roughly a yard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
E-mack
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010 10:18:33 AM »

Absolutely beautiful !! You say its simple, but you've got me lost.   Any chance you can do a step by step (don't particularly need photo's, but don't quite understand how you cut the waist out)  I've got a couple of scarves, lovely material but don't know what to do with them.. This would be perfect, so hope you don't mind me nicking your idea !

Cheers
   E :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
professionalpineapple
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010 11:26:44 AM »

Absolutely beautiful !! You say its simple, but you've got me lost.   Any chance you can do a step by step (don't particularly need photo's, but don't quite understand how you cut the waist out)  I've got a couple of scarves, lovely material but don't know what to do with them.. This would be perfect, so hope you don't mind me nicking your idea !

Cheers
   E :-)

Sure! Don't worry about nicking this idea; I got it from the lovely scarf dresses that were in last season. Cheesy

This fabric was a panel with 4 scarves printed on it, but it would work equally well if you just sewed the scarves together along the edges. I hemmed all the outside edges with a baby hem, so that I had one big square, kind of like a tablecloth. I made my pattern, which was a quarter circle with a circumference big enough that I could pull it up over my hips. (Radius = (Hips + Ease)/(3.14159*2) - .5" for seam allowance) Then I just folded the panel into quarters and placed my pattern on the inside, and cut out the pattern. It looked like this:

For the waistband, I just used a strip of fabric that was roughly the same size as the hole I had cut out, then sewed it on, folded it over, and sewed it almost all the way shut, leaving a hole for the elastic to go in. You can make a waistband out of bias tape or stretchy ribbing too, but I had a few strips leftover from the baby hems, so  I put those to use. I've got one more, and it's making a lovely headband. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps!
pinterest|wists
MainSarahJane
I am what I am, I be what I be.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010 03:45:45 AM »

That skirt is so beautiful.  I love the pattern and the material.  I want to try and make one now, out of what though lol?  I have nothing near as nice as that to work with though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah Wink
me04071986
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010 11:28:19 AM »

Thats a lot of fun! I love flowing pretty skirts!! Is it just 2 panels sewn together at an off angle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm just another stitch in time...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
TopShop Hair Makeover
Short Hair Survey
Green Makeup Makeover
Natural Volume Hairstyle Makeover
Funky Hairstyle and Night Evening Makeup Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...