A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: John Lewis sewing machine  (Read 601 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittersusie
« on: February 03, 2010 12:23:32 PM »

Hi,

I recently got a sewing machine for Christmas, which my mum, who is, although not prolific, reasonably experienced with sewing and sewing machines, along with being the worlds best Googler, chose for me. My specifications were something that was relatively basic but as reliable and flexible as possible. It's a long story with things not arriving on time before I went back to uni etc, but I ended up getting a John Lewis JL125, which seemed like a great little machine for the price she paid. And indeed, up till now, it has proved to be wonderful.

However, I just bought a zipper foot, assuming that it would fit my machine; that they were fairly universal, especially with it being John Lewis (who are known over here for being especially reliable and having excellent customer service). I can't find a way of fitting it to my mahcine, and I'm now concerned that actually it has a non-universal fitting for the foot, especially as their website does not have any feet at all for sale (slthough it is clear from the instructions that, at time of writing at least, there were zipper feet available for my machine).

Has anyone else got a JL machine, and have you had the same problem? Or am I just entirely mis-undertanding how the foot is supposed to fit?

Cheers,

Susie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010 05:14:12 PM »

It's a Janome made sewing machine that can use either low shank screw on attachments or any generic snap on feet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
knittersusie
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010 08:45:53 AM »

Cheers, that's encouraging.

I thought it was made by Janome. So how do I screw it on? There are no instructions for that in the book, only how to do the clip on ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010 01:52:28 PM »

Unfasten the screw on the side of the presser bar (the screw that holds the ankle on to the bar. The ankle is the part that holds the snap-on feet.)  Put the screw-on foot on the presser bar and fasten it with the screw that was holding the ankle onto the presser bar. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
knittersusie
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 03:17:25 PM »

Thank you so much for your help. It's really obvious now I look at it again, but sometimes I guess the obvious things are not the ones you spot. And now I'm back to being very happy indeed with my first sewing machine. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Glamorous the Whole Holiday Season Long
4 Ways To Wear A Fur Vest
Who Wore The Burberry Trench Coat Best: Rachel Zoe or Kris Jenner?
Celebrity Street Style: Zoe Saldana and Kardashians at LAX
Take the Mystery Out of Lingerie Shopping
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...