A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,469
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my daughter's 20th bday cookies (image heavy)  (Read 736 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

baygirl69
« on: February 03, 2010 11:59:05 AM »

loooong time lurker, finally doing my first post

my little girl (they are always our little girls no matter the age, right) is not a fan of cake, so I made her these shortbread cookies to hand out as party favors to her friends on her 20th birthday.
I wanted them to be nummy & pretty so I made the fondant myself using marshmallows.
I used the same round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies & the topping of fondant, which is glued on with corn syrup.
the butterfly wings are fondant (I used a heart shape cookie cutter for the wings) and the bodies are royal icing. the antenna are fake flower stamens. all the piping & flowers are royal icing as well.
Thanks for looking!

I didn't remember to take many pictures before putting them in cello bags  Tongue , sorry about the glare.

I did 20 cookies for her 20th
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010 02:37:49 PM by baygirl69 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
EerieNoodles
I may not be perfect, but I'm so close it's almost eerie.

Trust Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010 12:07:02 PM »

Your cookies are so pretty. I can't believe you made your own fondant, is it difficult?
These are a great alternative to a big cake and probably a lot less messy if you need to transport them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010 12:21:36 PM »

Those are scrumpdeli-ish-us!!!  They are too pretty to eat.  The colours you used for icing make them look so lovely!! Great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
baygirl69
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010 02:00:26 PM »

Your cookies are so pretty. I can't believe you made your own fondant, is it difficult? These are a great alternative to a big cake and probably a lot less messy if you need to transport them.
Thank you  Smiley
It's really easy actually & I think it's easier to work with when it's fresh & warm then using the store bought. plus it's actually edible. 
Basic recipe: 1 bag marshmallows, 2lb powdered sugar & 1/2 cup shortening. you can also add any flavorings you want. you melt marshmallows and add in powdered sugar, letting your mixer's dough hook do the kneading. then add in the shortening to keep it moist. I rarely have used a 1/2 cup, but you do need to cover it in it & wrap it in plastic to keep the fondant from drying out.
so easy for travel, especially if let to firm up for 12-24 hours. much easier than a cake for sure!

Those are scrumpdeli-ish-us!!!  They are too pretty to eat.  The colours you used for icing make them look so lovely!! Great job
Thanks so much! she actually saved a few of her favorites, because she said she just couldn't eat them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lexa
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 08:58:49 PM »

These look really good! So cute and playful! I don't like cake either. I would have loved these cookies when I was twenty! But I'm the only one who does the baking in my house.

These look very time consuming. But excellent work! You can definitely see all the love you put into them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baygirl69
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010 02:53:15 PM »

These look really good! So cute and playful! I don't like cake either. I would have loved these cookies when I was twenty! But I'm the only one who does the baking in my house.

These look very time consuming. But excellent work! You can definitely see all the love you put into them!
Thank you! They were a bit time consuming (1 very long evening) but not much longer than a fondant cake and a lot more fun to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sanctum Cast Interviews
How to Draw a Football
How to Sketch Chibi Hair
How to Draw a Strong Man
How to Do Graffiti Letters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...