A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First 3 Batches  (Read 2284 times)
Tags for this thread: soap , cp_soap , cold_process_soap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dianamariemtv

There's a bit of super hero in every mom :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010 03:06:28 PM »

Thanks for the links and photos, I think I'll just have to try this out myself and let you know how it goes! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

oopsdang
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010 04:59:14 PM »

OOO the oatmeal one looks yummy. This makes me want to go make some !! They look really rich and creamy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In order to live a creative life, you must lose all sense of fear.- Some smart dead guy.
McJulie-O
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010 07:36:09 PM »

Everywhere I turn, there is someone talking about soap making!!!

But, you know, having such experienced soap makers on Craftster, so generous with their knowledge and expertise, makes it a little less daunting for someone who would love to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KayKay84
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010 10:49:07 PM »

They look lovely, great first soaps!! My favourite is the oatmeal and honey  Smiley. I use milk cartons all the time for soap making, I find they're a great free alternative to expensive molds.

In my limited experience with trying to make non-gel soaps, they need to be in individual molds, I just can't get the whole log to not gel (even sticking the log mold outside in the snow) and have gotten some ugly partial gels.
A sure way to have a whole log not gel is stick it in the freezer for 48+ hours! Put it in right away after pouring it in the molds and take it out a couple of days later, let thaw and cut (thawing is important or the soap will break and crumble). On a german soapmaking board I know people do this all the time with their goatmilk and/or honey soaps!

I thought about using some blueberry tea (really strong brewed, purple/pink color) to color a batch, any experience with using brewed tea as a colorant?
Blueberry will turn brown, no matter at what stage in the process you add it! It'll turn brown while curing at the latest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dianamariemtv

There's a bit of super hero in every mom :)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010 07:13:47 AM »

McJulie-O  You are right, there are tons of experienced soapers who are willing to lend a hand and offer advice, it's like having your own personal mentor, haha!

KayKay  Thanks for the info, glad I read this before I tried it out.  Not that there would be anything wrong with the soap, but it would save me some heartache as far as color goes.  I guess I'll just order some micas Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010 10:10:27 AM »

They look fab- I too have become a soap making addict and started out with Ohappyday's tut !

One note- mine used to get foamy on top until I began putting a lid on my wooden mold while it's in the oven. That helped- this also reminded me to not peek in the oven all the time-that peeking was causing temp. fluctuations that resulted in them doing all kinds of wonky things.

They look great- I've been wanting to try a coffee soap for my gardening friends- I'm glad to know about the smell dissipating.  Thanks for sharing !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
javamama
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010 04:11:19 PM »

So fun! I am just collecting equipment to try my first soap with a friend in a week. It's great to see you got such nice results the first time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010 04:38:37 PM »

So fun! I am just collecting equipment to try my first soap with a friend in a week. It's great to see you got such nice results the first time!

Yay! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple-Bourbon Potpies Dessert
Chocolate-Peanut Butter-Banana Icebox Cake Recipe
Low Cal Berry-Banana Oatmeal Parfait Recipe
How to Make a Rum Cheesecake-Topped Pumpkin Pie
How to Make Salted Caramel and Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...