A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Step back into roughly the 30's (just dont look at the TV)*UPDATE*new vanity set  (Read 5719 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 02, 2010 08:09:05 AM »

OK this is my very first post so if I screw up I'm sorry. Sorry for the slightly bad pics, my only camera is on my phone.
  *a touch of background* My house burned down last year so when I got this house it had an extra room that was perfect for the antique room Ive always wanted.
I have a complet bedroom set that belonged to my great grandmother and I have begged my dad for years to fix up the bed, it had been in his shed. It turned out so beautiful
Almost everything in this room has been found at a yard sale or junk shop. The quilt I found at a yard sale for 5 bucks, it is all hand done and in wonderful shape. My mother gave me the blanket on the bottom of the bed, its from the 70's and the colors are great.
These are plant stands I got for a buck. I covered them with a piece of cardboard to make it level, and I reused some pillowcases my grandmother embroidered but had been too damaged in the fire to use as pillowcases.
The dressing table was in the old house but fortunately was in a room that didn't burn completely so we were able to salvage it. MY dad(who is awesome) completely refinished it and I found a new mirror at a junk shop, the old one had shattered in the fire. The little stool was found at a yard sale for a buck and I love it. Ive looked for a vanity stool for years. I have a friend who is a dumpster diver and almost everyhing that is on the vanity came from him. We have a good deal going, he gives me antiques and I bake for him Grin
This hat and fur collar are from the 50's and are my "Winter" display. I love vintage hats and have several that I rotate.
The dress form is another gift from my dumpsterdiver friend and the dress is one my mother made when she was in her 20's. It used to be just red velvet but smoke dose interesting things to fabric, its now red and black which actually looks kind of cool. The frog necklace is from the 60's and another gift from mom.
All 3 of these quilts were in the fire and have some damage but they are too special to throw away. The first one was made by my great grandmother, the middle one was made by a dear family friend who has since died, and the last one my grandmother gave me. My dad refinished the quilt rack for me, which is another yard sale find.
All of these are pictures of my family. I love old black and white pictures and always have a wall dedicated to them somewhere in my house.
This is the last piece of the bedroom set, once again refinished by my awesome dad. The photo is a beautiful 1920's wedding scene.
I have always wanted a trunk like this and spent way too much on it but hey you've got to splurge every once in a while. I actually got this home in the backseat of my 2 door grand am. It went from window to window but I made it fit. The hosiery box is from the 40's and in surprisingly good shape for being cardboard and 60+ years old.
Well that's my antique room. I hope you enjoyed it. I am very proud of it and love to show it off to my friends who come over. My next project is my sewing room which is an absolute mess right now. I will post it when I get it done.

*UPDATE* My dumpsterdiver friend has finally given me part of the vanity set he promised me over a year ago. very excited!!
I love how art deco this little jar is it is just beautiful.
Ive also put out my summer hat, isnt it sweet. He still has several more jars and poweder boxes for me when he finds them and one of the more exciting bits, he has a complet Evening In Paris set still in its box that he is going to give me when he finds it(knowing my luck that means another year from now lol)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010 06:19:24 AM by scarlet_nights » THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010 09:02:44 AM »

Great Room!!! I'm so sorry about your fire. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Weeny
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010 09:44:56 AM »

Can I be your sister so dad will refinish things for me?  ;-) Everything looks great hope you aren't afraid to use this nice room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Act always as if the future of the universe depended on what you did, while laughing at yourself for thinking that whatever you do makes any difference"
scarlet_nights

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010 09:48:53 AM »

Actually funny story about dad. While he was working on all this stuff a lady came up and offered to buy my quilt stand. Dad said no (of course) that it was his daughters and wasn't for sale. The lady then asked if he would adopt her so she could get the quilt stand. And yes I do use the room Ive had several friends stay the night or weekend in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Corntree
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 10:49:05 PM »

Cool room!  Smiley  I like antiques, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Lexa
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010 04:01:28 PM »

Antiques rock! This is a cool room!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarlet_nights

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010 06:41:42 AM »

Yay over a 1000 hits. Thanks everyone who has looked at my room and an extra thanks to those who have commented. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Its always nice to have other peoples opinios of somthing you are proud of.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoejoeG
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010 02:04:17 AM »

Hey that's a really cool room! Opt for warm lightings to add a lil oldie touch to it perhaps?
A small chandelier in the middle would be nice!

Btw show your DIY skill @ http://homepride.com/forum too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arielthemermaid

Have tons of fabric for swap. PM for more info.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010 07:47:25 AM »

Love your room! As someone else who lives with family antiques and actually uses them, I applaud you. Most people think because of its age it shouldn't be used. Not in my house and not in yours either! Really sad about the fire Sad( I'm glad you were able to salvage as much as you did. I'd like to be your sister, too! And a friend of yours and your dumpster diver friend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” - Albert Einstein
scarlet_nights

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010 04:01:06 PM »

I agree with you JoejoeG I like the soft light for this room. All the lights (except for the ceiling fixture) are antiques. The bedside lights are a crystal set from the 50's (my favorite decade) and the globe lamp on the vanity is from the 30's. They put out a lovely soft glow at night. And I agree with you arielthemermaid I think its ridiculous that most people think old things should not be used or just thrown away. I love old things and in most cases would rather had old than new. As for my dumpster diver friend he has promised me a complet dresser set that he has as soon as he can find it, that includes the comb,brush and mirror set, powder box, perfume atomizer and a few random jars that he doesn't know the use for. Needless to say I am beyond excited and well post a pic the minute I get it  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Sock Dogs
How to Make Fish Prints with Ray Bliss Rich
How to Create a Hanging Jewelry Organizer
How to Make Colored Corn Jewelry
How to Create a Study Board for Homework
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...