A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Smells fruity! Holds cash! It's amazing!  (Read 4421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2010 09:07:19 PM »

I was in Toys R Us a few weeks ago and saw the cutest purses and bags made out of fabric that was printed with Skittles, M&M's, and other kinds of candy wrappers.  However, a) I am not about to pay $20 for a purse I probably won't use just because it's cute, and b) the reason I can't pay that is because my husband has me on a strict purse diet due to the overflowing bins in my closet full of purses and wallets, so I couldn't buy one even if I really wanted to.

I know this idea didn't originate with Toys R Us (lol) but seeing those bags reminded me of how much I've always loved looking at these types of projects here on Craftster.

Then I signed up for the Post On Every Completed Board craftalong and realized I now had a great excuse to buy lots of candy and experiment with the wrappers to make bags just like the ones I'd fallen in love with in Toys R Us!  When I was standing in the candy aisle of the store the Starbursts just about leaped off the shelf and into my cart.  And since I had a wonderful matching orange FQ to use for lining, I couldn't wait to get started on this!

This is only the first that I have made, and will for sure not be the last.  I currently have a stack of bags waiting for me to sew them up.  However, I was so excited when I made this one that I absolutely couldn't resist posting it!

Also, it's more of a pouch than a wallet, I realize this...but the truth is that I detest wallets.  My ID and money get shoved in a little zipper pouch in my purse because I hate digging through card slots and such to find what I'm looking for.  That's why this is a pouch.

Time for pictures!

Isn't it adorable?  It's the perfect size for my ID and credit card and some cash.  I love it!

This last picture shows the closure method I am currently using.  It's a small butterfly earring.  Since it will be in my purse, not my pocket, I'm not worried about getting poked by the earring, and I really love how it looks.

ALSO (I promise this is the last thing I will say, I know I am long winded!)  there was supposed to be a vinyl covering on the outside of the starburst wrapper to protect it.  When I layered my fabrics to run them through my machine, I accidentally put the vinyl in the middle, between the wrapper and the lining, so when I turned it right side out, the vinyl was, of course, serving as more of an interfacing than a protective measure.  I am somewhat bummed about this but since it only took about an hour from start to finish (including drafting the pattern, cutting, etc) I won't be too upset if it doesn't last long.  It was worth the learning experience if nothing else!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 09:08:30 PM by BethieB » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
kricket_usa
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 09:31:23 PM »

Totally cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010 10:25:56 PM »

Thank you Kricket!

I just went and made another pouch, this time out of a Jolly Ranchers bag I had.  This time I made it the right way, with the vinyl on the outside.  Grin I don't want to flood Craftster with another 7 huge pics, so I'm just including some clickable links.  Don't look at the binding on the pouch flap too closely, it's VERY messy, but I love this one!  So does my sister...she claimed it already.   Grin

This is what I am calling the front of the pouch, it's where the flap folds over to hold it closed.

The back, I tried to make sure the entire logo was visible.

The vinyl makes it super shiny!

This it the whole thing, with the flap open and sticking up

Inside the pouch Smiley

The messy binding.  It was a series of unfortunate events that ended well, I like how it looks.

The front, notice how I kept the calorie label in tact?  lol!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 10:32:29 PM by BethieB » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
lauraavery
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010 11:26:07 PM »

thats very cute! i have a preety coffee packet just begging to be made into a purse for my son! thanks for the gentle kick up the bottom Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pioquinta
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010 04:35:38 AM »

Sweet! I have been staring at my coffee bag this morning....wondering....what I can do with it. Thanks for posting.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010 07:16:29 AM »

I am so glad you guys like my post!  I was kind of worried it was a little too simple of a project, I almost didn't put it up.  Now I'm glad I did.

My goal for today is to experiment with putting in zippers and making some more of these.  I'll post 'em if I get any done.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010 03:14:51 PM »

That's such a great idea! Anytime you use un-expected materials, it's worth posting. Plus, even if it is just a small item, You Made it! And, a small accomplishment will lead to a bigger one.
   So here's a challenge if you are up for it... sandwich several candy bags in a collage..
you can spray glue them to a piece of fabric, and make a larger tote or cosmetic bag. Cover with the vinyl, and treat as one layer of material. You can do it!!
Do you have any velcro? I just found out hard it is to use zippers in tiny things like this.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010 05:20:48 PM »

That's a great challenge! I will be up for it as soon as I get some spray glue...unless liquid glue would work? 

I just made another recycled project, a notebook out of two Rice Krispy Treat boxes that I laminated.  I love it and will hopefully be posting it on the paper boards tonight.

I do have Velcro, and it's funny you mentioned that about zippers.  I have installed exactly one zipper so far in my life time, on a skirt I later took apart.  I really want to start making zippered pouches so I spent all morning reading zipper tutorials.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010 05:40:53 PM »

That's a great challenge! I will be up for it as soon as I get some spray glue...unless liquid glue would work?  

I just made another recycled project, a notebook out of two Rice Krispy Treat boxes that I laminated.  I love it and will hopefully be posting it on the paper boards tonight.

I do have Velcro, and it's funny you mentioned that about zippers.  I have installed exactly one zipper so far in my life time, on a skirt I later took apart.  I really want to start making zippered pouches so I spent all morning reading zipper tutorials.   Cheesy
Tacky glue would work, but use it thinned down, and sparingly. The idea is only to keep stuff from moving around. Rubber cement works. The spray glue really is best for this , as it goes on thin, is real sticky, doesn't soak thru as much, and dries fast.
  Here's a papercraft link...
 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=318807.0
I did this with confetti... metallic candy wrappers cut up into confetti. Only it was done on paper, and laminated. The idea was the same, slightly different materials.
  What stinks about vynil is trying to pin it. Try using your stapler, just along the edges, until you get it thru the machine. That works better than pins. Turn the staples parallel to the edge, and very close to it. You don't need too many.
  I just made a small pouch, and putting the zipper in was an ordeal! The handbag people can make it look so easy! Even tho I sew for a living, I don't do a lot of this kind of sewing.
Have Patience! And, there's always the Velcro! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010 05:46:22 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010 06:12:35 PM »

I have a laminator.  Do you think that would work better?  Off to check that link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...