A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 304,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rice Bag for busy moms ("choice special - great for sushi rice")  (Read 4280 times)
Tags for this thread: sushi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JCDillustration
« on: February 02, 2010 07:49:31 AM »

Hi friends,

This is my first challenge! I used the Rice Bag idea: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=269188.0. Not original, but I have been lurking for about 4 years so I do feel accomplished to have finally taken part in a challenge!

The bag:

My own process featured a lot of experimentation to figure out what to do. I decided to avoid the whole fused plastic thing because I have 2 young-uns at home with me - didn't want them to get any ideas about experimenting with plastic bags and irons or anything.  Wink Fused plastic projects look so cool though and I will do that someday! I started off crocheting plarn made from Uno's takeout bags but it started coming out too bulky for stacking with the other ten totes we bring to the store.

My oldest modeling my crochet in progress (this idea was "bagged"  Tongue sorry...):

So the rice bag was the solution for me. I tried using the plarn to stitch the bag together but the holes made by the big needle just ripped the bag. The original rice bags were made out some kind of laminated plasticky paper. Perhaps with a more fabric-like rice bag I could stitch it with the plarn in the future.

The outside of the bag was nifty enough for me (dig the Chinglish and photo of rice plants) and shows off how much rice we eat Cheesy It folds up and stores with the rest of our reusable bags, easily wipes clean, and doesn't have doodads that would fall off. Our bags get a lot of rough use!

To make it, I cut up two 20-lb. bags following the shape of an existing reusable tote. I zigzagged all the pieces right-sides together. I turned the bag and boxed & x-ed the handles on with straight stitches. Handles are just long scraps folded over and straight-stitched. This one took probably an hour to make. Hard to keep track because I worked on it off and on starting in the afternoon and ending after dinner. The next one will be quicker (and neater) now that I've figured out how it would go together.

Everyone here is so crafty - I'm not worthy!! Looking forward to seeing all the ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010 08:49:46 AM »

I love the bag made out of a bag!!  That material is VERY strong also and should take you through many shoppings  Grin  They double well as swim bags also, perfect for wet towels and things  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010 10:00:35 AM »

Awesome! I too have yet to fuse with plastic because of my daughter, but so want to one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lousupcycles
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010 08:20:22 AM »

you are very crafty!  keep rockin' those ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010 10:19:17 PM »

You are too worthy, don't give me that Wink Great job! Where do you get your rice? I only ask because the stores here only seem to sell rice in smaller amounts Sad ...or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JCDillustration
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010 09:01:15 PM »

You are too worthy, don't give me that Wink Great job! Where do you get your rice? I only ask because the stores here only seem to sell rice in smaller amounts Sad ...or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough....

Awww, thanx!  Glad you liked it. Cheesy

To answer your question: I got the rice from an Asian supermarket. I had not had luck in regular stores either, plus most regular brands are non-sticky. About once every 3 months the girls and I make the pilgrimage to the Hong Kong Market (formerly Super 88), near Boston. They get to watch the fish and shrimp swim around in their seafood section and I get to buy all my goodies.

Hope you find some rice!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Balatong
Tutorial Contributor

chain, chain, chain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011 07:36:37 PM »

kicking myself for not seeing this idea before.... errr, before I threw away all those rice bags Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Tribute to George Carlin
Alan Goldsher Talks About Paul Is Undead
Sandra Harper Talks About High Tea
Gregory Boyle and Former Gang Members Talk About Tattoos on the Heart
Philippa Gregory Reads from The Red Queen Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...