A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a..............Shower Curtain!  (Read 12120 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Midnight Sun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The northern lights have seen queer sights.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 01, 2010 12:53:23 PM »

I was just getting ready to dispose of my old shower curtain the week before when I saw this challenge on the board and figured I'd give it a go.  This item was definitely going to the landfill lol.  My hubby is a curtain yanker and I got tired of repairing the holes at the top where it hangs, with tuck tape  Embarrassed 
The bag is just the standard, simple sewn design, nothing fancy here.  I had a few issues sewing it because it was so slippery, shiny on the outside of it.  The inside of it was ok as the needle passed through ok but what I had to do was use a reinforcement for the slippery parts like the handle.  I used some fused plastic bags to line inside of handle and the bottom seam on the bag (can see it in picture) and then it worked lol.  I sewed the bag on the double so it was "lined" and surprisingly enough this thing is really, really sturdy.  Used it the other day for shopping just to make sure  Cheesy (The cashier at the store asked me if I was using my "beach" bag for groceries now Roll Eyes )  Guess because it's plastic it would be a good beach bag also for wet things lol.  It's totally cleanable though and easy to wipe off.

As you can see by the holes, this was the top of the shower curtain I cut up for the handles

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 01:11:26 PM »

This is great! And it looks so cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight Sun

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010 01:26:38 PM »

Thanks for your nice comment, Val.  It's my first challenge so I just ripped that nasty ole curtain down and started cutting and sewing figuring the worst that would happen would be it would not hold up, but I'm very pleasantly surprised....I will be eyeing up my friends shower curtains now when I go visiting, lookout!  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"OH MY GOD! Pot Smoking!? You know what that leads to?! MUNCHIES! And you know what THAT means: TRANS-FAT. God knows, you don't want your kids getting into THAT."

-- Pauline
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010 01:41:39 PM »

lovely! i am inspired ( and dh will not notice if i pinch the shower curtain...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010 02:54:59 PM »

okay, this is totally awesome. Now I feel compelled to buy shower curtains from a second hand shop and make purses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010 05:27:17 PM »

Wow!  What a great save of a mostly intact shower curtain!  I bet it's very sturdy.

okay, this is totally awesome. Now I feel compelled to buy shower curtains from a second hand shop and make purses!

You reminded me that in my stash is a sample shower curtain (you know the ones they hang at the store to show you the selection) and it could be made into something like this!  It's probably only 1/3 as wide as an actual shower curtain, but full length; also it's the fabric kind, but still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AngelKrafter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010 08:57:12 PM »

I love the design you used and the fact it was made with a shower curtain even better. I hope you made more of those cause they look very sturdy to use everytime you shop. Oh I love the title you gave it as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010 10:28:34 PM »

thanks so much ladies  Kiss   Kiss   I was able to get 3 1/2 bags outta that curtain lol.  The 1/2 was a small one that I gave to my MIL with one of the bigger ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Pauline
Dejah_Thoris
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010 02:03:33 AM »

Your bag is so bright and colourful, well done and great upcycling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010 06:41:36 AM »

What a fab way to recycle an old shower curtain, and what a cute curtain it is! I could see using this as a beach bag also Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Midnight Sun

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010 08:51:21 AM »

Thanks ladies!!!  Dang there's some awesome bags being made...I wanna become a baglady now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Pauline
KraftyKitonet
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010 09:32:40 AM »

This is such a great idea. I have 4 that I just have not thought of anything to do with, but the designs were pretty so I kept them. lol I tend to be a bit of a pack rat. Now I know exactly what to try. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.::.Wists.::.Etsy.::.
JCDillustration
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010 10:14:19 AM »

Makes me want to go to the beach now! Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jojobean76

The Creative Pretender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010 11:08:02 AM »

How pretty!

I'm so bummed that I can't participate in this challenge. Been sick as a dog the last week and the bag I had wanted to make, I just don't want to look at the materials... only crawl into bed n sleep!

But awesome job!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight Sun

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010 11:54:54 AM »

I'm so bummed that I can't participate in this challenge. Been sick as a dog the last week and the bag I had wanted to make, I just don't want to look at the materials... only crawl into bed n sleep!

Thanks ladies....yes, the beach would be awesome right now but just can't find it under a couple feet of snow

Jojobeanie, I hope you're feeling better!!    There's always new challenges, and only one JBean so get better and get off that couch  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Pauline
Burningrubber
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010 01:24:48 AM »

That is very cute! I love the flip flops Smiley I had the same problem sewing catfood bags into shopping bags with the additional problem of the plastic being so stiff and difficult to manuver.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humboldtcherry

Marching to the beat of a different accordion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010 11:41:05 AM »

Cute shower curtain !!! It makes an even cuter bag !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight Sun

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010 04:47:48 PM »

Thanks you gals  Grin Grin

BRubber what kind of thread did you use on the tough plastic bags...did you have issues with the plastic cutting it once in awhile also??  Anyone that sewed stiffer plastic, this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Pauline
lousupcycles
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010 08:21:35 AM »

farmers markets here we come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010 10:22:38 PM »

I can't believe you were gonna throw that out! I love the pattern on the curtain:) Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010 10:35:44 PM »

I can't believe you were gonna throw that out! I love the pattern on the curtain:) Great job!

It was getting all ripped on the holes it hung from...I'd fixed the holes quite a few times (with tuck tape) but it was getting past the point lol  Thanks for looking  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Pauline
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010 10:41:32 PM »

Oh and i also want to tell you that I love your quote about the trans-fat Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Midnight Sun

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010 08:34:38 AM »

Oh and i also want to tell you that I love your quote about the trans-fat Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- Pauline
RamenQueen
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010 02:56:49 PM »

midnight sun .... that was fantastic upcycling! In fact this was the first thing i Thought of when my Evil ( no ex) roommate got mad and Ripped my jungle/amazon plastic shower curtain off the hooks. It destroyed every hole but i refused to toss it out. Due to the fact that my friends and family breed like rabbits (I have biological 11 nieces/ nephews and about 6 other honorary ones...all under 4). I want to turn them into waterproof changing pads ( and maybe diaper bags if I'm adventureous) I figure the part that has butterflys and hibiscus for girls, frogs for boys and the other critters for either. My question is what kind of thread/tension/stiching did you use? any trouble shooting tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatdoyouknow
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012 11:21:01 AM »

What's that piping material you used in the bag inside? Thx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom Bag Factory
Looking for a SWAP!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Music Festival Hair Inspiration and Tips
Style a Topknot Two Ways: Sleek Vs. Messy
How to Create a Selena Gomez-Inspired Updo
How to Boost Your Roots For Fine or Thick Hair
3 Spring Styles to Inspire Your Next Haircut
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...