A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,349
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My House - first shrine!  (Read 4551 times)
Tags for this thread: shrine  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2010 10:40:55 AM »

I have wanted to make a shadowbox shrine forever.  I bought this adorable unfinished wooden house on Etsy last year and it sat untouched until a couple of nights ago.
I was surprised at how each room seemed to decorate itself as I went along.
I figured my first shrine should be on a subject I know a lot about...and I know more than ANYBODY about me!
Each room represents a different personality trait or internal struggle.
It is a liberating experience to be able to put my darkest feelings into an art piece and put them "out there" for the world to see.

This is my favorite "room".  It shows my struggle with agoraphobia and anxiety disorder and the medications I have to endure to cope with it (the monkey on my back).  I sculpted the pills from polymer clay and painted them to look like my real meds.

This room represents my "unnatural" childless state at the age of 34, and the pressures put on a woman to reproduce.  The text on the side wall reads "this may be your last chance!". 

I am an Atheist, and this room shows the scorn I often receive/perceive from theists, that I am somehow immoral and shall be barred from getting a ticket to their heaven.

At the center of it all is peace and joy, and self-acceptance. 

I was not able to get a good closeup of the "attic", but it shows a prisoner without walls, my procrastination and worries that I will never get around to it (round tuit!) and a couple of loose screws (lol!).  This is my agoraphobia.
It is not the most complex shrine, but I enjoyed making it very much.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 10:42:45 AM by digital misfit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Raventhistle

Yes Jareth, Rly.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 10:47:37 AM »

This is very cool. I often think about making a shrine, but I've got a long list of "make this" and an even longer waiting list titled "procrastinating on" Cheesy I'd love to see more info on the other little rooms (especially the one with the little mushroom).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*bodyshields her boxes of fabric* no no no...I -need- all of this. I'll use it -someday-!
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010 10:52:06 AM »

it's almost a confessional (please forgive the religious word, but it all depends whom one is confessing to.  yourself and the reader, in this case?)

and, while we wouldn't agree on religion, i have to say that i know lots of very moral/ethical atheists.

PS: i marked "this rocks".
have been wanting to do something with some similar wood things i got at thrift shops.  maybe you gave me an idea (dealing with personal facets and dark sides in an artistic way)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 11:04:58 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010 10:59:22 AM »

Thanks for sharing this! It's beautiful and so personal, I feel like you've let us all peek into your mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010 11:04:01 AM »

Wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010 11:08:29 AM »

Very nice Smiley What's the shroom room?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010 11:15:59 AM »

Thank you all for your kind words.  It is both refreshing and a bit scary to put out such a personal piece.
Nataluna: thank you.  I am a very open and non-militant atheist (I am not anti-theist).  2 of my 3 dearest friends are a born-again Christian and a pagan, so I love all.  I agree that morality is not tied to a deity, but there are those who would argue that.

Raventhistle: the other rooms are as follow:
left to right, top to bottom
1 (shown)
2 (shown)
3: enlightenment and philosophies.  Represented by a rock and elephants (the irresistible force paradox - unstoppable force meeting the immovable object), and a tiny light bulb. The left side wall of this room has an anatomical heart with a crown.
4: I am still just a girl/inner child.  tiny fabric doll and jeweled wallpaper.
5: (shown)
6: body image, self doubt. Nude with obviously "imperfect" body, putting on a "brave face". vintage ad about body scars.
7: rational mind - high IQ, gifted in maths (die shows all prime numbers), but inability to focus causing confusion.
8: playfulness and dreams of flight and whimsy.  Tiny mushroom reads "odd curiosities"
9: shown

the 4 4 4 along the side is a special number to me, and it is there to show friendships.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010 11:18:01 AM by digital misfit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010 01:38:05 PM »

It's wonderful! Thank you for sharing something so personal! I also take meds for anxiety and also paranoia. I'm going to hit this rocks! And I've also just got a wooden house that I was going to make a shrine with, and you just inspired me to work on it. THank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010 02:43:29 PM »

So beautiful! I love the thought you put into each and every cubby. Remember there are people in the world that love you for your eccentricities!  Wink ( I am one!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamemom42
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010 03:00:58 PM »

I'm almost afraid to admit this, lest you all think I'm crazy, but I cried a little looking at your shrine.  It's just so touching.  I think every woman should make a shrine to herself, because you are so right, you know more about you than anybody.  Thank you so much for sharing and for giving me a project that I know will help me as I try to figure out my 46 year old self. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Vintage Volume Do
How to Do a Cute Braided Style
How to Get Big, Sexy Curls
How to Trim Your Own Hair
How to Fight Frizz with a Voluminous Bun
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...